Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Node placement suggestions

Kitsune
Alright, so we've all seen them: resource nodes on such steep hills that the bottoms of them are visible. And by visible, I actually mean invisible, because there's no texture on the bottom (to save resources - fully understandable). I've some suggestions to fix:

- The simplest: add a bottom texture. Might not be an ideal fix, though, considering that's more stuff for the client to load, meaning "moar lagz!" …
- Raise the virtual bottom. Especially on mining nodes. If we were to treat the "bottom" of the mining node as actually some virtual point that is slightly higher than the actual frame of the object, this would stick the mining nodes a little further into the ground, and would have less chance of "sticking out" on the bottom outside edges when they are placed on hilly terrain.
- Extend the textures to be very deep - much like the roots on the trees. This might look ugly though, so proceed with caution here.
- With the placement algorithm, see if there's a way to consider the whole base of the object. Like, make it consider that the object is not just a single point of reference, but have it consider that the base of it extends in two dimensions. When it considers this, have the algorithm place the objects deeper in the ground until such a point as the entire base is covered by terrain.
- Adjust the placement algorithm to disallow nodes to be placed on extremely uneven terrain. This might eliminate the problem altogether.

Anywho, just something to throw at the devs that are not currently working on other game-breaking bugs right now. smile

(but worth mentioning that seeing nodes in weird places with invisible bottoms… kinda takes away from the visual quality of the game… especially for those that don't fully appreciate what the Early Enrollment period is all about).
Schedim
I guess you haven't seen the nodes that rests in the tree tops yet then….smile
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
Azure_Zero
I think they need to change their node placement system as well.

As it appears to be doing a top->down collision placement, hence the ones in trees and on top of mobs?
Why don't they just use the freaking height map used for the terrain to get proper node placement.

they could also move the model's base pivot up some so it does not reveal the empty base as much.
Schedim
The Devs have said that they going to do a smarter placement algorithm when they get time, with all kinds of nifty parameters, this system have to do until then.

Also a number of new and different nodes are in the pipeline too…
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post