Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

What role does each role play?

Kyutaru
I've started playing for a few days and I've gotten used to the mechanics and grind spots, the game is similar to Darkfall which I played for years so I'm familiar with the concepts.

The question I'm having though is regarding role balance. Equipping heavy armor makes it abundantly clear that Fighters are meant to be our physical tanks, capable of warding off most hits with ease while destroying creatures with a few swings of the mighty two-handers. Cleric meanwhile seem essential for their buffs and healing capabilities, along with decent hard to resist damage types and party auras. Wizards are the counterpart to fighters with spells that completely ignore their terrifying physical resistance, yet they themselves are easily murdered from a few greatsword swings.

That leaves the Rogue as being somewhat odd in my opinion. It has stealth and capitalizes on conditions, but it doesn't seem necessary to the trifecta. It's support physical damage, completely non-essential to the trio. The armor a rogue wears is worse than a cleric's and nearly as squishy as a mage's. The damage they do is going to be heavily resisted by fighter armor the same way mobs are. They lack the magical damage to ignore armor too, making them "physical wizards" with limited invisibility, which I presume will be counterable with high amounts of perception anyway.

This is mostly PVP related, but even in PVE its clear the wizard nukes, the fighter tanks, and the cleric keeps people alive. But where does the rogue fit in??
Kitsune
I've covered this in many of my posts in the Rogue subforum. Currently, and unfortunately, the Rogue is more-or-less a "weak fighter." Now, they are faster and have a slightly different playstyle, but indeed at this time, they are somewhat non-essential. In the coming years (not months), expect to see this to change. Especially with the introduction of traps, dungeons, and other "utility" and out-of-combat stuff that the Rogues are commonly known for in the tabletop game.
Stephen Cheney
In the grand conception, Wizards are back rank, Clerics are mid group, Fighters are front line, and Rogues are free safety.

The Wizards want to stay pretty far from the fight lobbing spells. The Fighters want to stay up front blocking the opposing team's melee from getting to their friends. The Clerics want to stay in the middle where they can buff and heal the Fighters and Wizards, and can move around enough to plug holes in the front line briefly or try to intercept an opponent that's broken through and is heading toward the Wizards.

The Rogues want to be the ones breaking through those lines and picking the most distracted targets to take apart: go after the Wizards to distract them from doing damage and pull off the Clerics to try to save them, go after the Fighters that are too locked up on their opposite front line and think the Rogue is after the Wizards and Clerics. They can also mix it up and bounce back to their own side to help when a lot of guys have broken through. Between Evade, Dodging, and less likelihood of a movement penalty, they can rely more on being mobile than the other melee roles.

Admittedly, we're not there yet on getting all the features to make that a reality (Rogues, in particular, need a lot of feature love to get to where we envision them), but that's the grand conception.
Kyutaru
Sweet that makes a lot of sense thanks! That's also closer to what rogues/archers/assassins usually are in similar mmos, they are reliant on speed and evasion.

I'd say just make sure they have their Improved Evasion and Slippery Mind type skills to activate for temporary effect protection or wizards will eat them up with crowd control.
plopmania
A very quick fix that might move Rogues as a role towards what they aspire to be might something like "tumble". I know there is an utility feat called Tumble, but I am referring to the TT tumble. Something to help rogue to
– be the ones breaking through those lines and picking the most distracted targets to take apart: go after the Wizards to distract them from doing damage and pull off the Clerics to try to save them, go after the Fighters that are too locked up on their opposite front line and think the Rogue is after the Wizards and Clerics
as Stephen put it.

There could be a consumable feat added to Rogue Kit that would stop Rogue from provoking opportunities altogether for some while (a couple of 6 sec units). A mid-level feat.

I must admit that I haven't extensively scoured all the feats and specifics: this might either exist or be too powerful. Either way, something that crossed my mind. (And should be relatively easy to implement.)
Elmin Sterro
A slotted defense feat granting additional physical resistance while the rogue has opportunity might work, similar to the tabletop feat Mobility.
Chance Wyvernspur
This may sound strange, but in group actions it seems to be working out that at least when fighting a group of monsters an armored healer pulls, kites and heals themselves, while everyone else is ranged DPS.
Chance Wyvernspur
Nihimon
Putting in the effort to figure out how to make effective use of Melee Fighters is one of my top priorities. Currently, Kiting feels like a First Order Optimal Strategy that's getting in the way of cohesive group action.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Bunibuni
Wizards - blast the mob with your best AOE attack then run away - helps to actually be turned away from the mob when you do this. Let the others pick off the runners one by one. IF the mob isn't dead by the time you turn around, then repeat and hope you don't die. smile
Crafting! Gathering! Monster Killing! Exploring! Politicking! That's us in a nutshell! Ranged Attackers, crafters and gatherers come join the Holy Magicks company based out of High Road. Our main motto is "Death Thru Superior Fire Powers!"
Nihimon
Bunibuni
Wizards - blast the mob with your best AOE attack then run away…

While this is effective, it is by no means efficient. Kiting is slow.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post