Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

What role does each role play?

Bunibuni
Not if you have two wizards in your party. All the low level monsters die and leaves only the yellows or better.
Crafting! Gathering! Monster Killing! Exploring! Politicking! That's us in a nutshell! Ranged Attackers, crafters and gatherers come join the Holy Magicks company based out of High Road. Our main motto is "Death Thru Superior Fire Powers!"
Ortallus
So, speaking from old school classic DnD mindsets and such, meanwhile fully acknowledging that PF is NOT DnD, I'm still going to give the sort of rock/paper/scissors breakdown, as I see it, of roles.

Fighter > Rogue > Wizard > Cleric > Fighter

Now, this is a very generalized chart, and of course oversimplified, but let me offer a little reasoning. It's even supported by stats!!!

Fighter vs Rogue
Generally speaking in a 1 v 1 melee, the rogue is dead. Just.. d.e.d. dead. The fighter has better Hit points, better bonuses to hit, and better armor. What's worse, the rogue's poisons, if he's got access to them, aren't going to do much against the fighter's outstanding Fort saves. Basically, if the rogue can't set the scene with reflex based traps that do massive amounts of burst damage, he's pretty much not going to win this fight. POSSIBLY he could get lucky with some improved feints and get a sneak attack or two, but yeah, don't count on it. Just run.

Rogue vs Wizard
This is really where a rogue shines. Wizards are all about being prepared. Rogues are all about improvising (at least in the field. In a lair or ambush it's another story). Furthermore, the rogue is opportunistic. The rogue's job is, essentially, to get around behind the wizard, wait for him to be distracted, and then nail him with a lethal sneak attack. In theory, unless the wizard is heavily ensorcelled with AC increasing spells and what-not, the rogue's to hit is going to be sufficient that he can turn the pointy hatted arcanist into a pin cushion, especially with the mage's low hit points. Since rogues have a high reflex save, and feats as evasion and improved evasion, a wizard's powerful offensive spells can be virtually nullified by the rogue.

Alternatively, rogues are good for standing distant and readying shots, waiting for the wizard to try to cast, then plinking them with a bow or other ranged weapon. This is a horribly under-used tactic in tabletop games.

The rogue's biggest weakness against a wizard is generally going to be enchantment spells, or others requiring will saves.

Wizard vs Cleric
Since clerics have potentially high AC, but not quite the fighter's level of hit points (unless out buffed) a wizard's evocation spells can be devastating against a cleric's low reflex save. Most of the cleric's offensive spells are will save based; the wizard's highest save, of course.

If a cleric manages to close in melee with the wizard, the wizard can have a bad day, but if the wizard is worth her salt, that just won't happen anyway.

Cleric vs Fighter
This one gets a bit trickier. Clerics can have all the AC from equipment that a fighter can. The fighter actually outshines the cleric in hit points and to hit bonus alike, which gives them the initial advantage when it comes to close combat.

Except that, as mentioned in wizard vs cleric, the cleric's offensive magics are largely will based. So now a cleric has to think tactically, and be prepared. If he gets the chance to cast his buffs before the fighter can start wailing on him, he's solid. This can be done either by not getting ambushed, or by throwing a delaying wall up, a hold spell, or a variety of other methods.

Being too eager to engage is a cleric's downfall.

So, that's my opinion of the 'rough' rock > scissors > paper > rock, of RPG's. However, it does ENTIRELY leave out the utility factor of rogues, which if a game is done right, is not to be underestimated. Sneaking past a guard to disarm a trap so that the rest of the party can engage.. taking down the wizard quickly and effectively (possibly with a poisoned arrow from 100 feet away).. getting the group out of jail using a bundle of straw from the floor of the prison cell..

These are the sorts of things rogues should excel at, in my opinion.

I do not intend for this commentary to be all inclusive or comprehensive. I do know that my rock/paper/scissors analogy can be blown up by sticking your finger out and declaring "Dynamite". These are generalizations and opinions given by yours truly, at midnight, while I wait for The Dying Light to release, and download my newly purchased client for PFO xD

Ort-
My ban has now gone from 7 days to permanent with a chance to appeal after 6 months. Paizo has violated the ToS and EULA, which mention nothing about repercussions for actions on the forums resulting in loss of access to the game client. I have not done anything in violation of the rules which would warrant a ban from the game client.
Doc
Except in PvP right now, everybody is multiclassing. Sticking to a single class (right now) handicaps you a great deal.

So there isn't any Fighter vs. Cleric vs. Wizard vs. Rogue matchups that you are describing.

It's more like Fighter+Wizard+Cleric vs. Wizard+Cleric+Fighter
Ortallus
Well, that's wont to happen too, Doc. Are there not restrictions for arcane spell failure from heavy armor?

But, if you read the full article, I do say that I know that I'm not covering all bases, and being EXTREMELY general.
My ban has now gone from 7 days to permanent with a chance to appeal after 6 months. Paizo has violated the ToS and EULA, which mention nothing about repercussions for actions on the forums resulting in loss of access to the game client. I have not done anything in violation of the rules which would warrant a ban from the game client.
Illililili
Ortallus
Well, that's wont to happen too, Doc. Are there not restrictions for arcane spell failure from heavy armor?

But, if you read the full article, I do say that I know that I'm not covering all bases, and being EXTREMELY general.

Not yet. So most wizards are running around in Pot Plate. That might change next week when T2 armor is in. T2 robes are 50 points harder to hit, vs the 25ish extra points of physical resist that Pot Plate gives. Will be an interesting choice.
Gog
Not to mention that wizards aren't likely to want to train Str up to 11 to unlock Heavy Prof 2.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post