Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Loot changes

Illililili
Zacusa
I get the starter goblins giving out to much stuff for the ease. Where they are concerned just put in a check at the loot drop point that says any character over 5days since creation gets nothing. If they have not gotten beyond them at that point they wont be around long anyway.

This is the best idea so far, with one modification. Change it so ACCOUNTS older than 5 days (or 5 hours of /played time) do not get loot from starter gobs. Otherwise, players will simply make expendable alts to continue farming. This modification means brand new players can always get a few drops (and might get a valuable recipe or two in that time period).
Kitsune
Illililili
Zacusa
I get the starter goblins giving out to much stuff for the ease. Where they are concerned just put in a check at the loot drop point that says any character over 5days since creation gets nothing. If they have not gotten beyond them at that point they wont be around long anyway.

This is the best idea so far, with one modification. Change it so ACCOUNTS older than 5 days (or 5 hours of /played time) do not get loot from starter gobs. Otherwise, players will simply make expendable alts to continue farming. This modification means brand new players can always get a few drops (and might get a valuable recipe or two in that time period).
I was going to suggest something along these lines. Some sort of "newbie status" (whether or not it is shown or apparent to the player in-game) that allows them to have access to the loot tables of the starter goblins. After that, nuthin'.

Additionally, I'm not entirely sure I agree with the idea of taking armor off the loot tables of the other lower-level mobs, like bandits. One of the reasons I began farming starter goblins was because my Rogue was incredibly weak until I found some +0 light armor. And you know what? It took me over 300 kills to find some light armor. I had found a couple medium/heavy armors, but nothing light.

As some have mentioned here, there will likely be no market for +0 armor. That being said, if we are to remove armor drops from mobs, we should drastically lower the materials requirements for +0 armor - this could possibly flood the market with +0 armors, and the newbie characters would then have a chance to snag some up for cheap.

But then again, who's going to want to transport 20 sets of armor over to one of the starter towns to put them on the AH?
Lee Hammock
To add some transparency to this, as several folks said, this is a change that designers can make without using programming resources. Designers cannot fix desynching, floating nodes, aggro issues, etc. We can only use the tools that already exist, and those tools include the drop tables. Us working on this in no way conflicts or impedes with other work getting done on the game. They are two completely different resource pools.

Now, as to why we want to make this change:
1. Farming the tutorial goblins is way, way to easy and we don't have a way to make them harder without taking up non-design resources or defeating the purpose of them being tutorial monsters. Also we don't want people standing around in town farming them as that just adds to server loads in starter towns, which are already going to be heavy population areas.
2. Right now the number of +0 tier 1 gear in the game is very, very high. Check out the threads where people post what they got for killing some number of hundreds of goblins and you'll see that all tier 1 +0 gear has effectively become trash loot. The encumbrance value of items can get ridiculous, so people are just destroying them. In my own experience on my non-cheater character I get actively annoyed with all the armor drops.
3. We have no economy for +0 items. People make them, they have to for achievements, but there's no reason to buy or sell them.
4. In the experience of the design team thus far by the time we've been killed enough to be near losing our starter gear we're really needing that +1 gear.

Also we are modifying the quests in the starter towns that previously gave you shortbows, focuses, etc, to give you a basic set of tier +0 gear for a given class if you buy some skills associated for that class. So the quest NPC who previously gave you a shortbow if you talked to him twice will give you a shortbow, light armor, and rogue kit if you go buy the proficiencies for all three. So players will be able to get a set of starter gear, and one tailed to their class, but not an infinite number of them.

Nihimon
Lee Hammock
Also we are modifying the quests in the starter towns that previously gave you shortbows, focuses, etc, to give you a basic set of tier +0 gear for a given class if you buy some skills associated for that class.

Awesome!
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Gog
Guurzak approovz uv dis plan.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Azure_Zero
Glad to hear about these changes, Lee.
Kitsune
Yes, thanks for clarifying this bombshell and letting us see the gears behind the machine. I think the modification of the starter quests will be sufficient to get the new players out of town.
Jazzlvraz
Where's that Like button?
tribuzio
Doc || GenAknosc
EVE doesn't have "ship" drops from killing pirates or rats.

What it has are a series of starter quests or missions which give you a few of the essential low level ships, some space money, and some basic upgrades. Complete all the starter missions and you are well on your way.

Plus you always get a minimum level frigate with a base weapon and a mining laser when you dock in a station in your pod.

Caldeathe Baequiannia
It's just an adjustment. There's very little that is going to mean the end of the world. I think it's a reasonable and proportionate response. There are plenty of low level mobs that can be taken on for the basics, including copper, and it will create an armour market for crafters that are required to make basic armour in order to get achievements. If it creates a real issue, they'll adjust.

We need a market for the single +0 exemplar of each item item we will have to craft in the lifetime of a character?
And what low level mob drop the coal we need to make the metal armors?
Melien

For taking the time to explain your thoughts on this.

Thank You Lee
Seems much more reasonable that it initially did.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post