Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Repair

Kitsune
Have I said "thank you" enough recently?

Because, well…. thank you.
Dazyk of Phaeros
I think this is a brilliant idea. I can't wait to see it in action!
Dazyk Half-Elven, Elder of the Frozen Fingers, the shock- troops of Phaeros. If you are a fighter, cleric, or rogue, and enjoy battle, be it PVP or PVE, we are the company for you! We welcome role-players, casual gamers, and hardcore players alike.

Find your hidden strength, join the Frozen Fingers today!
Dazyk's PFO Resources Folder
Gog
I still think a secondary market in damaged gear would be good for the economy, if the newby trap problem can be avoided. Maybe a whole separate building ("flea market"smile for such sales?
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Stephen Cheney
The original plan was that you had to hand your item to someone that could make it to get it repaired.

We figured the natural outcome of this would be that it would be too much overhead for the non-crafters to find someone that could repair it, coordinate the trade (and the trust required to hand over the item), and figure out how to get it back and pay when it was done. Big guilds would be able to do it, but for the average player it seemed more likely that it would lead to the behavior of just putting a low-durability item on the market hoping to get some of its value back (when you didn't just use it until it was used up). Crafters would then trawl the market for a good price on these items that would make repairing it to full cost less than making a new one (which would be naturally at odds to the hope of the seller to get back more for it than it would be worth to have it get used up after a couple more deaths). The repair system would either not get used at all, or be functionally similar to a system to just salvage damaged items.

The new system has crafters make a kit, but anyone can use it once made on an appropriate item. This allows us to do a few things that a "hand to a crafter" system doesn't:
  • You can "coordinate" the service entirely through the market; there's no getting on at the same time twice to trade and putting trust in the crafter.
  • The system can be much simpler to understand ("Hey, my basic weapon repair kit repairs basic weapons." ).
  • You can frontload the crafting time and repair your item when you actually need it repaired (rather than going back to town when it's about to go and maybe being without a piece of gear while it's in the shop).
  • We can require items to be fully repaired to go on the market. This means the UI doesn't have to account for easily distinguishing when things are cheap because they're damaged or because they're a bargain (there is a lot of worry that allowing sale of damaged items is ultimately a newbie trap to get players to pay too much for nearly exhausted gear).

I can't, of course, speak for everyone. Superficially, this decreases chances that I will invest any energy in crafting unless the kits are very expensive and cumbersome. Repairing goods should be a meaningful choice, balancing costs vs rewards, not the default, in any game that attempts to make crafting a meaningful role. I hope that it will be more expensive to repair an item than to replace it, even after factoring the cost of the repair kit.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Gog
Caldeathe, I don't see why a weaponsmith making 3 greatswords for one customer is substantively different from or superior to the same weaponsmith making 1 greatsword and 200% worth of greatsword repair kits, for the same customer, for the same time and resource cost. Why does the latter scenario disincent you in a way that the former does not?
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
plopmania
What this also affects a little bit is player looting. Now, you might not want to lug around a spare T3 +lots items, but repair kits are a lot different. While they will be very expensive, the are worthless as weapons and armor (in a sense). Of course, this doesn't have that much of an effect (you can keep fighting for a very long time with just one weapon and no spares) but I feel like it is something that should be taken into account when balancing the cost factors and so on.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Nothing about that disincentives me, except that repair kits are forever, and there's no reason that a kit worth two great-swords isn't actually going to get used to repair two dozen great swords, or 200. What disincentives me is a fighter buying a kit for a one-time charge and then repairing their own equipment without expending any energy on crafting other than getting the necessary raw materials. If the kits are limited in their capacity to repair, then that would work fine.

I am perfectly happy with either 1) only someone capable of making the item can repair it (kit or not), or 2) it costs a lot more to repair 20 units of degradation than it does to buy a new one, or 3) The repair kits is for limited uses. Any of those things allows the crafter to retain value in the long term because it remains cheaper to deal with them than to not deal with them, while leaving the user some flexibility if they can't.

If anyone with a kit can fix the item for around the same cost as purchasing a new item, then the crafter loses control over their livelihood. It is exactly the same war that authors have been fighting with used book stores for the last 100 years. I sell this thing for this price because I expect that in 20 deaths it will be worth your while to have me replace it. If it's going to get used for 40 deaths, then I will have only half the opportunity to sell the item. If it gets used for 60 deaths, I have only 1/3 the opportunity to sell. If you have to come back to me (or one of my fellow item-smiths) then I am again involved at least once for every 20 deaths.
Nihimon
Caldeathe Baequiannia
3) The repair kits is for limited uses.

It is inconceivable to me (yes, that word means what I think it means) that this would not be the case.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Stephen Cheney
Repair kits are designed as consumables.

If the formula says this kit will repair 5 durability on this item, the cost to make the kit was somewhere close to 25% of the cost of making the new [20/20] item. You use the kit, the item goes from [2/20] to [7/20] and then the kit is gone.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Okay, then. Objection withdrawn.

Apparently I have a much wider range of conceivableness than you, Nihimon.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post