Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Rep loss and gain rates

Gog
Charging into Hammerfall last night around 9PM Eastern last night, I was at +7500. During the second charge in I dropped below -2500 and angered the Thornguards; I was at -4800 before I got out of town. So the answer to "how much rep can you lose in 15 minutes?" is "all of it."

Idling naked overnight, I was back up to -2300 by 8:00 ish Eastern, and just hit zero now around 5PM Eastern. I expect to be back up to +7500 in about another day.

Both loss and gain seem too fast to me for long-term planning, although they're fine for encouraging occasional raiding prior to WoT going live.

Naked idling will be a problem, even once husk looting is in, as long as you can bank your gear while stealthed. If the intention is that you have to actively play to work off your karmic debt, the current system does not compel it. (Players near Rotters have even less to worry about.) Unless you can come up with a way to make naked AFKing actually risky, perhaps consider slowing rep gain down but allowing gain while offline.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Nihimon
Guurzak
Both loss and gain seem too fast to me for long-term planning, although they're fine for encouraging occasional raiding prior to WoT going live.

We were just talking about this in TS, especially the last bit in that I was curious if the devs planned to rein in the Reputation Gain after the War of Towers goes live - it feels too fast to me right now.

Guurzak
Naked idling will be a problem, even once husk looting is in…

Hrm… Tie Reputation Gain to equipped Gear Tier and Upgrade? Just a thought…
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Gog
Unfair to young characters unless you scale equipment score versus something like total attribute points above 60.
Nihimon
Guurzak
Unfair to young characters unless you scale equipment score versus something like total attribute points above 60.

Perhaps scale the equipped Armor and Weapons to the trained Armor and Weapon Feats?
Tork Shaw
Hey folks. Good to see some feedback on this - the current numbers are my best-guess.

What did you mean by 'for long term planning' Guurzak?

The current numbers are meant to be pretty punitive. The kind of behaviour we are aiming for is occasional kilss/raids (a couple of times a week) beyond sanctioned PvP. Of course right now we have NO sanctioned PvP, and even the WoT system is only a small fraction of the final goal (faction PvP, wars, feuds, flags…smile so its tricky for those who want to PvP to avoid tanking rep.
Gog
Imagining that the current rates held into the distant future when all pvp systems, feuds, etc are in place:

Rep loss is too fast. I could play 100% nice for a year and then completely tank my rep down to -7500 in less than a half hour.

Rep gain is too fast. From -7500 I could be back up to the max in a couple of days, and nobody would know the difference.

I imagined rep to be a gauge of someone's overall patterns of behavior. As it stands, it's a resource to be managed- a system that lets you go on raids twice a week with no consequences as long as they eject before they pass their settlement limit, or slaughter gatherers at will so long as you space your murdering out enough.

The current numbers are not punitive at all. If I go out and do Bad Stuff, I'm locked out of my settlement for a day at worst. A couple of days later I'm back up to the cap. If I'm careful in managing my murder tickets I can go killing for a few minutes at a time and never suffer at all.

As the game matures, I think both loss and gain should slow dramatically. It should take a lot more than a 15 minute skirmish to tank a perfect rep from max to min, but if you work hard enough to really hurt your rep it should take a lot longer than a couple of days to earn it back.
Nihimon
Guurzak
Rep gain is too fast.

+1
Nihimon
Guurzak
As the game matures, I think both loss and gain should slow dramatically. It should take a lot more than a 15 minute skirmish to tank a perfect rep from max to min…

Actually, the loss seems somewhat reasonable to me. I think it's appropriate to strongly encourage folks to use mechanics like Feuds and Wars.
Yrme
Nihimon
Guurzak
We were just talking about this in TS, especially the last bit in that I was curious if the devs planned to rein in the Reputation Gain after the War of Towers goes live - it feels too fast to me right now.
Guurzak
Naked idling will be a problem, even once husk looting is in…
Hrm… Tie Reputation Gain to equipped Gear Tier and Upgrade? Just a thought…

Prediction: There will be a good bit of naked play and naked idling in WoT. Perhaps later in WoT they might need to likewise have a scoring system that encourages use of better gear?
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Nihimon
Urman
Perhaps later in WoT they might need to likewise have a scoring system that encourages use of better gear?

+1

[Edit] Great idea, but probably not practical. War of Towers is temporary, and it's probably not worth the coding effort to support this. Still, great idea.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post