Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Mini-map necessary?

Caldeathe Baequiannia
Chidar
I don't believe you bothered to write this. Ever hear do anti-hacking, anti exploit, exploit protection? Developers can take measures against exploitation, you know that right.
There is nothing at all that developers can do to stop packets from being intercepted by the machine that is acting as your firewall (between your game and the internet) decrypting information and translating it into useful data. There are very expensive and bandwidth consuming techniques that make it harder, but they can not stop it. A game with a 20 million dollar a year budget for programming could make it too expensive for almost anyone to manage. Goblinworks can not.

The team with access to a single player with the interest and resources to develop it will have access to every bit that GW sends to their machine, and GW will have no idea it's happening.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Quijenoth Starkiller
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Chidar
I don't believe you bothered to write this. Ever hear do anti-hacking, anti exploit, exploit protection? Developers can take measures against exploitation, you know that right.
There is nothing at all that developers can do to stop packets from being intercepted by the machine that is acting as your firewall (between your game and the internet) decrypting information and translating it into useful data. There are very expensive and bandwidth consuming techniques that make it harder, but they can not stop it. A game with a 20 million dollar a year budget for programming could make it too expensive for almost anyone to manage. Goblinworks can not.

The team with access to a single player with the interest and resources to develop it will have access to every bit that GW sends to their machine, and GW will have no idea it's happening.
The fact remains the mini-map is destroying a much needed element of the game in its current form. whether people hack the info or not does not mean GW should just ignore this request just to "level the playing field"

Games like TF2 have hackers that use sniper bots and the like but it hasn't reduced its popularity and Valve certainly isn't considering making all snipers auto head target.

Elite dangerous populates its commodities data and 3rd party software is used by some to find the best trades in the fewest jumps. Doesn't mean Frontier will change the game to inform the players where he should take his goods.

Goblinworks should be concentrating on immersion and not fear changing things for what the few will do to break it.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Quijenoth Starkiller
The fact remains the mini-map is destroying a much needed element of the game in its current form.
Actually, all of that is opinion, not fact. A fact is, I like the mini-map exactly the way it is. A fact is, you don't. A fact is, you think the mini-map is destroying a much needed element of the game. A fact is, I don't.
Quijenoth Starkiller
Games like TF2 have hackers that use sniper bots and the like but it hasn't reduced its popularity and Valve certainly isn't considering making all snipers auto head target.
Another fact is: The GW developers don't like games where cheaters get an advantage over other players, whether or not it's bad enough to cause the companies involved to give up their subscription base because they can't stop it.
Quijenoth Starkiller
Elite dangerous populates its commodities data and 3rd party software is used by some to find the best trades in the fewest jumps. Doesn't mean Frontier will change the game to inform the players where he should take his goods.
Neither would GW. That is something that any motivated player could do without cheating, and the developers would embrace people doing so.
Azure_Zero
Well Said, Caldeathe Baequiannia.
Kitsune
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Quijenoth Starkiller
The fact remains the mini-map is destroying a much needed element of the game in its current form.
Actually, all of that is opinion, not fact. A fact is, I like the mini-map exactly the way it is. A fact is, you don't. A fact is, you think the mini-map is destroying a much needed element of the game. A fact is, I don't.

I stopped reading there, because that said everything I wanted to.
Jazzlvraz
Well-said, Caldeathe.
Doc
if (immersion < play-ability) {pfo == game};
else if (immersion > play-ability) {pfo == simulation};
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Doc
if (immersion < play-ability) {pfo == game};
else if (immersion > play-ability) {pfo == simulation};
Exactly! I'm so glad there are still things on which we agree.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
The ability to shoot through walls and hills is definitely not a very PvP friendly mechanic. Much more enjoyable to be able to use cover. It's also a balance issue for ranged attacks which seem to be currently ruling PvP. I think this is more of an issue than the minimap. Minimap seems essential for avoiding ganks. Not very practical to always be doing 360s.
QMan
Couldn't you just…I don't know…tape a notecard to the bottom right of your screen if it bothers you that much?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post