Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Design question

Tuoweit
I am curious to know why items like a Cold Iron Greatsword have explicit recipes instead of simply being the product of using Cold Iron Ingots with a Greatsword recipe (the way a +1 or +2 item is created from +1 or +2 materials)?
Azure_Zero
I believe later they will be introducing creatures with DR.
And the DR will be weak against specific materials.

*DR = Damage Reduction
Nihimon
I believe the answer is because Goblinworks doesn't want Recipes to be consumed when creating items. Once you learn a Recipe, you get to keep it forever.

[Edit] I misunderstood the question.

I now understand that Tuoweit is asking why you can't select your Greatsword Recipe, and then simply substitute Cold Iron Ingots for the Steel Ingots that are normally used.

I think the answer to that is because different techniques might be used to work the Cold Iron Ingots because those aren't worked the same way Steel Ingots are worked.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Ryan Dancey
I think the answer is "it was much easier to have a 1:1 relationship between a recipe and it's product than to have an 1:X recipe : product system".

The idea that you could have a base recipe and then experiment to get different outcomes based on the materials used is cool, but it was likely out of scope for the implementation of the design due to the complexity of that idea.

There's also a possible downside that in a 1:X world we get a lot of customer support questions from people who don't understand it and think there is a bug or just want help understanding how to make what they want, but I doubt that was a significant factor in the way the design was implemented. smile
Stephen Cheney
Additionally, we tried to keep from adding too much to crafting that wasn't relevant to every crafting discipline in some way. Materials-swapping to produce recipe variations doesn't really work for other types of crafting.

And it's also incredibly arguable that making a working weapon out of cold iron or silver is much more complicated than just putting in more iron or some silver into the recipe smile .
Azure_Zero
I can start to image the nightmare that would be that database, if you did not go the way you went.
foxglove
Stephen Cheney
And it's also incredibly arguable that making a working weapon out of cold iron or silver is much more complicated than just putting in more iron or some silver into the recipe smile .

Yeah, i've never understood how they make those silver weapons that don't break or bend in the first fight.

Fink's article on iron-silver alloys from 1938 only covers <1% silver and is basically just expensive stainless steel. Pattern welding seems pretty impossible due to the difference in melting point. Though, when I think about it, if you can work with cold iron you can probably use some sort of cold-pattern-welding. Hmm.. crafting system makes sense afer all. Thanks.smile
Foxglove - of Pathfinder University (PFU/Riverbank)
Silkworm - of Phoenix Industries (TEO/Brighthaven)
On these boards I never speak for TEO, only for myself or PFU. Contact me if you want to hold a guest lecture for PFU
Tuoweit
Magic smile

More seriously, I would think that simply assigning an arbitrary difficulty buff (much like +1/+2/+3 do currently) would cover the "different techniques required" angle (or even having separate "Silver-working" and "Cold Iron Forging" recipes/ skills/crafting-class features that permit the use of those materials, if you wanted to get fancy), but the technical design aspect is a harder constraint to deal with nicely.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post