Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Effect power vs. effect protection

Memory-High Priest of Desna
I'm currently running as a cleric and I'm reading a lot about how the above mechanic kind of fouls up clerics and makes it very difficult for them to heal effectively. I have noticed that the stats on the minor cure feats all seem to be identical no matter what level they are, which is really puzzling to me. I checked over the new player guide PDF and didn't really find a true explanation of the above mechanic either (perhaps my reading comprehension isn't what it used to be).

1) can anybody explain the inner workings of this mechanic in detail, so that I can get a handle on what I'm dealing with?

2) can anyone explain the best method for working within this mechanic to effectively heal my party members and prevent them from being defeated?

3) with the short buff times being what they are, are they worth using in combat? Or should I avoid them for the time being?

4) if the answers to 1 and 2 are actually in the new player guide, all I'll ask for is a page number, thanks.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Official titles and Nicknames:
Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Jakaal
currently any discussion of mechanics is moot as heals currently are for a flat amount and have no power gain. Supposed to be added later.
Hm. Then running a cleric is going to get preeeeetty hairy. I'd better find a side job for now.
Adventure Time with the High Priest of Desna, begins Tuesday 08/18 at 6:00pm EST (10:00 server time) at the Thornkeep Auction house. All new players welcome!

Spherewalker of Indor-Mardil, High Priest of Desna, Dreaden-appointed Forum Troll Extraordinaire, The Southern Speedster, Slinger of Stars, Newbie-Bear, Gutter of Golgothans, King of Kiters, Johnny Ustalavian-Seed, and Peaches.
Ryan Dancey
#2: Your party members should work to retain situational awareness of where you are, and they should stick close to you so that they remain within range of your ability to heal them.

The party should think of the Cleric as a quarterback, and the fighters as the Offensive Line. The O-Line's job is to create a pocket and protect the pocket, not to disengage from the quarterback and go chasing people all over the field.

It's a 180 shift in mindset from how most MMOs work.
oh, the proximity thing wasn't what i was worried about. when i said running a cleric could get hairy, what i was referring to is the fact that the healing would be all but pointless at the more advanced stages of play, because the numbers are just too small. That's what i took away from reading about effect protection vs. effect power.

Jakaal
only if you're using the lower level ones and not the upgraded heals. Those should keep pace to over come the higher levels of E. Pro with more inherent E. Pow
Nihimon
There are also Spells that do quite a bit more Healing than Minor Cure does.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Samcel
But what about effects on spells that don't have any value? How are those affected when raised in rank.

Example:
I have rank 1 cantrip "Energetic field"
Effects of "Energetic Field":
Burst to Self, Hasted (2 Rounds) to All, Dodging (2 Rounds) to All, Riposting (2 Rounds) to All, Striking (2 Rounds) to All

I have equipped +2 Charged Staff which gives me 2 keywords for Energetic field. (Arcane,Expansive)
Training "Energetic Field" rank 2 however don't give any benefit at the moment.

So how are these effects supposed to multiply when they don't have any value. I understand the effect stack and damage multiply, but is this something that just is not implemented?
Dazyk of Phaeros
The EPow vs EPro will come in to effect when determine how long the buff will last on the target.

If the caster is Rank 1 (only matching 1 keyword) and the target is Rank 1 (armour matches 1 keyword):
1 Epow vs 1 Epro = 100% effect

If the caster is Rank 2 (only matching 2 keyword) and the target is Rank 1 (armour matches 1 keyword):
Epow 2 vs Epro 1 = 110% effect (2.2 rounds instead of 2 rounds)

If the caster is Rank 1 (only matching 1 keyword) and the target is Rank 2 (armour matches 2 keyword):
Epow 1 vs Epro 2 = 90% effect (1.8 rounds instead of 2 rounds)
Etcetera.
Dazyk Half-Elven, Elder of the Frozen Fingers, the shock- troops of Phaeros. If you are a fighter, cleric, or rogue, and enjoy battle, be it PVP or PVE, we are the company for you! We welcome role-players, casual gamers, and hardcore players alike.

Find your hidden strength, join the Frozen Fingers today!
Dazyk's PFO Resources Folder
Nihimon
Samcel
Training "Energetic Field" rank 2 however don't give any benefit at the moment.

It doesn't give you bigger Attack Bonuses, but it does make those Attack Bonuses last longer. It's also necessary to train higher Ranks in order to avoid having those buffs last shorter and shorter as you get better armor, which is what Dazyk was saying.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post