Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Achievements in Groups

Dazyk of Phaeros
I was part of the massive, three-party offensive on the home hex east of Phaeros last night, and while I noticed that I received a decent amount of Adventure achievements (Elite Ogre Slayer, etc.) I only accumulated 4 Longbow Expert and 6 Longsword Expert achievements. That is with approximately over 150 targets killed over the duration of the offensive.

This makes me think that the weapon expert achievements should function in the same way as the Slayer achievements do in group combat (i.e. not require the killing blow). To say that I am not gaining 'experience' in the longbow just because I am not landing the killing blow seems a little bit harsh. Also, in the long run, this will encourage players to solo the game, as it will be easier to get the achievements required to advance in ranks (which is the opposite of what we all want for this game).

Thoughts?
Dazyk Half-Elven, Elder of the Frozen Fingers, the shock- troops of Phaeros. If you are a fighter, cleric, or rogue, and enjoy battle, be it PVP or PVE, we are the company for you! We welcome role-players, casual gamers, and hardcore players alike.

Find your hidden strength, join the Frozen Fingers today!
Dazyk's PFO Resources Folder
Caldeathe Baequiannia
The current mechanism is to look at your primary equipped weapon when the killing blow is landed. How does it decide what weapon you deserve an achievement for? Perhaps one day it will track each blow delivered to a mob and dispense accordingly, but I suspect that's a bit in the future.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Dazyk of Phaeros
Yes, but that mechanism only works for the slayer achievements, not for the expert achievements. I'm saying that I think the two should have the same requirement. If you get a slayer achievement for being in the killing group, you should get the weapon expert achievement as well.
Dazyk Half-Elven, Elder of the Frozen Fingers, the shock- troops of Phaeros. If you are a fighter, cleric, or rogue, and enjoy battle, be it PVP or PVE, we are the company for you! We welcome role-players, casual gamers, and hardcore players alike.

Yrme
I think the way it currently works is fine. There's lots and lots of adventure points given out for group kills, but giving an incentive for adventuring in groups is ok. Adventure points are so easy to get I don't care if someone gets another 50 here or there.

For martial points, I think the quest is much more about what did *I* kill. My character learns Martial (Subterfuge, Arcane, Divine*) when she kills something, not when someone else does.

Is there a disconnect? Maybe, but I think it's rational. If they had to be exactly the same, then I think that the slayer achievements should also be based on the player's kills, not party kills.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Dazyk of Phaeros
It's not about adventure achievements. No one really needs Adventure achievenents, though. Weapon Expert, however, are needed for advancement. So if you can't get the achievements that you need easily when in a group, you may decide that group play isn't as efficient.

Nevrus
Plus, consider Clerics and Wizards that won't often be getting killing blows with their playstyles. It's not fair to them that they have to go out and solo when everyone else gets to naturally accumulate achievements just by shooting things with bows.
Schedim
Actually the inflation in Adventuring points makes it pretty useless, ie just the things Ryan has said shouldn't be in the game. perhaps there is time to crowdforge some alternatives/changes … some other stuff, another thread is called for.
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
Yrme
Dazyk of Phaeros
I was part of the massive, three-party offensive on the home hex east of Phaeros last night, and while I noticed that I received a decent amount of Adventure achievements (Elite Ogre Slayer, etc.) I only accumulated 4 Longbow Expert and 6 Longsword Expert achievements. That is with approximately over 150 targets killed over the duration of the offensive.

Returning to this. I'll assume that the three parties had 5 people each, just for ease of math, and that there were 150 ogres killed. That's 10 kills per individual, so Dazyk got his share of the credit for weapons kills.

What was the goal of the ogre fight? If the goal was controlling an escalation or farming for recipes, then the Adventure points (fodder for bardic tales) and Weapon Expert points (martial feats to get past training gates) are gravy on top of the goals.

If the goal was to garner Weapon Expert points, clearing a goblin escalation or just wilding on common bandits might have given a better harvest of kills for the time spent, for everyone involved.

I think the bottom line question is: do you have enough weapon expert points for the next level of skill? The intent, as I understand it, is that we should be gaining martial points over time, just in adventuring and clearing escalations.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Gog
Higher level monster kills should count as multiple points towards weapon achievements. If my group kills 60 red ogres and I get my share of 10 killshots, I should get more Weapon Expert points for those 10 ogres than I would have gotten for soloing 10 bandit recruits.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Is there no version of "Elite Ogre Slayer?" I know, that's not what you're after.

Maybe in time the system will be able to track total-damage-done per weapon/creature-type and use that in some useful way.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post