Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

There's no way to avoid pvp is there?

Nihimon
sooperspook
Well I'm Oceanic. One of the problems I've always had with other online games is that I keep odd hours due to various real life reasons. So I'm often not on when most other people, guildmates included, are on.
I'm also usually a solo player as I get caught up in exploration and scenery more than I do in grinding for the next uberl33t gear drop. Very few other people want to spend their time wandering through forests or just sitting by a lake taking in the atmosphere. But these are the kind of things I can't do irl so I end up doing them online. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent fishing in WoW just because I found a spot that looks beautiful in the evening/morning light.

Phaeros has a number of Oceanic folks. I'd recommend you try to talk to Forencith/Loryen the next time you're on and chat with him. He's one of the original founders of The Seventh Veil and lives in New Zealand.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Brighthaven Leader
The Empyrean Order has a whole slew of Oceanic guys, and a bunch of us that play that time as well. Just look us on in the Recruitment thread for more information.

What a lot of people above have said is correct you can't get away from PvP, but you can minimize it in some respects. Larger groups, more active towns, groups with active Anti-Pkers, and so forth. Eventually, settlements will be safer, with guards protecting better, they won't be SAFE, but it might take a concentrated effort to break into towns in the future.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Elorebaen
No, but I think you will find that as PFO matures and various systems become more robust that the PvP will become more and more a part of the fabric of meaningful gameplay. This will take a bit of an opening of one's attitudes towards the topic, but I think it is well worth it.
Doc
Anybody that starts out equating PvP with griefing isn't going to get much sympathy from me. That's a very unfair tone, especially because some people like me go out of their way to be fair and respectable with regards to PvP.

- I don't kill twice unless you force me to (try to attack me or follow me as I escape).
- I only want your stuff, so if you wait a minute, I'll be gone shortly.
- I don't kill noobs and I don't chase people if they go run and hide by the town keep. If you attack me from town keep I will engage however.

Will griefing happen by other people, probably, just report them and wait for them to soon be gone from the game.

However, people like me will and are killing crafters and gatherers and at some point it will probably be you in my crosshairs. Why? I don't feel like right clicking on a rock pile for 2 hours every day. I'd rather collect resources by interacting with a moving and unpredictable resource node.

How to not get ganked by me or others?

- Don't resource gather alone.
- If you don't have combat ability to defend yourself, slot some skills that will let you run away.
- Ask your neighbors to guard their crafting settlement allies.
- Don't sit around afk in obvious places.

You can also always try to talk me down via Hex chat if I am chasing you. I will accept a trade request and if the offering is nice enough I'll leave you to go home.

Tangent. Honestly, I believe this kind of activity will save this game from a quiet and early death. Without danger (NPC mobs are hardly a danger) and risk, I really don't see what else in this game will get people excited and have their hearts pumping.

Yes, like I said, griefers will show up, but we will *all* try our best to show them the door.
Illyena
I just seems like this game can't be played as a lone player without incurring a stupid amount of risk and suffering at the hands of players who participate in Douchbaggery. I only have 2 friends who play this game and im not any good at meeting people or forming guilds or other stuff like that. All of the things that this game and MMO's in general seem geared toward, I'm not afraid of dying and loosing all my hard earned stuff, when it is my own fault. But for some a$$ to come by and just shank me for a few mushrooms and a crappy sword just blows. I have no recourse and too much of that happening will drive me and my dollars away quickly.
JoJampa
GW has stated that they intend for PVP to be justified/in-game reasons .. not just random gankfest and they will try to make sure that the game isn't a gankfest ..
Doc
How am I suppose to know what you are carrying? Maybe you have tier 2 materials, maybe you don't.

"Douchbaggery"

Heh. So am I a douchebag for roleplaying a bandit?

When people say to me I shouldn't be able to play a bad guy without repercussions because we shouldn't be able to do everything solo, I'm just going to point at the people who want to play good guys and complain they can't play solo because bad guys try to take their stuff.

Table top role playing is only interesting because the GM is a thinking person and can make the pretend monsters and enemies act in unpredictable or enjoyable ways. I can't fathom why people don't desire to have the same experience in an online RPG.

Is being able to frolick through the dark woods by yourself like Little Red Riding Hood seriously supposed to be a viable play style in this game? Should no one be allowed to play the Big Bad Wolf?

Serious question.
Ryan Dancey
There's a big difference between "I want to play this game solo" and "I am playing this game solo because I'm not in a larger group".

My recommendation: There are 33 Settlements in the game. You can see a list of them and contact information for them here: Guild Leaderboard

Those people are actively recruiting for new members and they love getting new players to join up with them. I strongly suggest you contact a few and see if they'd be a good fit for your playstyle. I think you'll find the game is much more enjoyable as a part of a larger group than playing solo.

sooperspook
Doc
How am I suppose to know what you are carrying? Maybe you have tier 2 materials, maybe you don't.

"Douchbaggery"

When people say to me I shouldn't be able to play a bad guy without repercussions because we shouldn't be able to do everything solo, I'm just going to point at the people who want to play good guys and complain they can't play solo because bad guys try to take their stuff.

Table top role playing is only interesting because the GM is a thinking person and can make the pretend monsters and enemies act in unpredictable or enjoyable ways. I can't fathom why people don't desire to have the same experience in an online RPG.

Is being able to frolick through the dark woods by yourself like Little Red Riding Hood seriously supposed to be a viable play style in this game? Should no one be allowed to play the Big Bad Wolf?

Serious question.

Yes. You are.

Do you forget that gathering and crafting takes real time? Yet your reason for wanting to steal the results of that time is "you don't feel like spending the time to gather/craft". Why is your time worth more than others?

The thing that many pvpers like yourself don't seem to get is that, if someone pves they aren't forcing their play style on you, you can choose to join them or not as you like. BUT you are perfectly willing to force your play style on someone else whether they want to or not.

Don't talk to me like I've never had to deal with griefers. I am well acquainted with them. Why do you think I equate forced pvp with ganking but personal experience? I have no problem with pvp in general. I have a problem with forced pvp and being punished for not having high enough gear or being solo.

Anyway, like I said earlier in this thread I'll give the game a try for the first month. After that, whether or not I stay (and recommend it to my rp friends) depends on my experiences. Really, whether or not I stay should have no impact on you. Except maybe one less in game victim but I'm sure you can find others.
Pernicious
Doc
"Douchbaggery"
Not really a douchebag. Your preferred play style is to not waste your time doing something productive, but to take the results of my productivity. Your big risk is that you might lose (and horrors, only end up with what you brought) while you're more likely risk is that you might only get enough to waste an hour of my time, instead of two or three or more.

So, no. You're not a douchebag. Douche bags are useful.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post