Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Plans for the Future: Elevation changes, and Respawning

Valkenr
I'm just wondering what GW has in store for these features, right now I don't really like them.

Here's my thoughts:
Elevation changes need to be 100% effective barriers. There needs to be fall damage, and a careful audit of the current elevation changes. Elevation changes should be impassable terrain.

There are way to many spawn points, really, there should only be one per city. I am tired of arena PvP, and that's basically what the current system is, everyone comes back too fast. When I kill someone, I want them gone for a while, unless I'm over near their settlement(or NPC settlement). Doing anything far away from your home(or allies) should be more difficult. There is the potential for some high cost spawn point POI's but they should not be easy to maintain, and require some sort of territorial linkage to a settlement. Maybe even once wars start there can be a mobile shrine, that only has a limited number of respawns.
Edam
So you want to totally nerf gatherng and killing of NPC in order to get a tactical advantage in 1v1 for looting advantage ? Not sure I favor that plan.

Regardless …

ELEVATION:

I suspect people from the western plains will be keen to see very onerus elevation changes and people from the mountains will tend to be less keen.

Before any big elevation changes take place one problem does need to be addressed - respawning at a different level.

At present respawning at a shrine which is below your current level is exceptionally annoying as the pass upwards can be 4 or 5 hex away. Currently respawning up a level is not a big issue as you just jump back down. Once falling damage is implemented all of the level jump respawns will be problematic - not just the respawns down a level.
Valkenr
Edam
So you want to totally nerf gatherng and killing of NPC in order to get a tactical advantage in 1v1 for looting advantage ? Not sure I favor that plan.

Not quite sure what you're getting at here. PFO is an economic MMO, to keep costs down, moving stuff around or getting stuff from far away needs added difficulty. For instance, in Phaeros, we really should only concern our selves with gathering in our territory, and trading for what we lack. Self sufficiency kills economies. In the current system, it's not a huge ordeal to get what you need if you have enough people, that should really be impossible. Anyway, I hope node gathering falls off quickley, I kind of hate those types of systems, I much prefer built harvesting outposts/POIs for 99.9% of the supply.

No looting advantage that shouldn't be there anyway, killing someone outside of NPC controled territory should result in total loss 99% of the time, especially away from home. The tactical advantage is given to the closer party. If someone is attacking from far away, they can't regroup and restore their numbers in any timely fashion, the defenders can. It keeps things interesting, if you are going to attack someone far away, you need an overwhelming force.

As the game progresses towards OE, I think you will find a lot of what you see today being "Nerfed," especially with gathering/PvE. This is an infant system, and has a long way to go.
Edam
At present respawning at a shrine which is below your current level is exceptionally annoying as the pass upwards can be 4 or 5 hex away. Currently respawning up a level is not a big issue as you just jump back down. Once falling damage is implemented all of the level jump respawns will be problematic - not just the respawns down a level.
The known plan is to have a choice on where you respawn, so that is not an issue.
Edam
Valkenr Darkaal
The known plan is to have a choice on where you respawn, so that is not an issue.

That will of course bring back the possibility of suicide "level jumping" to get up a mountain without using the pass, though clearly only with an empty or low value inventory as you are effectively abandoning your husk in order to get a quick route to the top of the hill (suicide to get down will just be a matter of jumping off I assume, and your husk will be recoverable).

This will mainly advantage people who live at the bottom of a mountain and want to forage at the top. Suicide up with empty inventory and take some gear damage. Gather your stuff. Jump off and take another gear hit and then collect your husk at bottom less 25% of the mats.
Chance Wyvernspur
I always thought the perfectly hexagon shaped cliff terrain was silly. My preference would have been they were removed for a more normal hill/mountain-like terrain transition, making them less of a barrier to anything.
Chance Wyvernspur
Gog
Some of us chose our mountaintop locations based on the specific understanding that upward elevation changes would only be possible at pass hexes.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Azure_Zero
I agree with Guurzak here.

The steep cliffs act as an wall for defence, which is why some of us chose those spots to begin with.
Kitsune
Yeah, what they said.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post