Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

EE v3.0 TEST SERVER Release Notes

Oldtimer
Ortallus
Dreaden
Nihimon
Less than a week offline to go from -7500 to +7500 seems utterly meaningless.
To who? A week of not being able to PvP in a PvP game is definitely meaningful. RP your hearts out, no one is trying to take away your playstyle, meanwhile I'm being told I have to have over a month time out for mine.

This is basically what's wrong with people's attitude, as far as I can tell.

Pathfinder doesn't, to me, intend to make a "PvP game". They're making a sandbox game, where open world PvP is allowed. With consequences.
Of course PFO is meant to be a PvP game. I believe it has the potential to be a lot of things to many different players.
PvP, PvE,Crafting, Exploring and other features down the road like Dungeons will all give players different areas to focus on and have fun. Here is a paragraph that describes PVP on the main forums page, its pretty hard to miss.

Open World PvP

You will struggle for control of territory, trade routes, and resources with other players. Conflict is central to the game, and often conflict will mean combat. Some areas of the world are safer than others - but the more risk you take, the greater the rewards you will earn.

Combat between player characters should be meaningful. Randomly attacking others without context will damage your character's reputation, affect their alignment, potentially flag the attacker for retribution by others, trigger bounties, and over the long term, force the character to live and train only with others of a similarly murderous bent, significantly impacting their abilities.
Dazyk of Phaeros
We aren't 'Anti PvP'. We just want the PvP to be meaningful.
Dazyk Half-Elven, Elder of the Frozen Fingers, the shock- troops of Phaeros. If you are a fighter, cleric, or rogue, and enjoy battle, be it PVP or PVE, we are the company for you! We welcome role-players, casual gamers, and hardcore players alike.

Find your hidden strength, join the Frozen Fingers today!
Dazyk's PFO Resources Folder
Nihimon
Dreaden
And how do they determine what the majority of player's want?

Ryan gets to decide; it's good to be the king smile

From It's 3am, do you know where your settlement is?:
Ryan Dancey
We are going to actively attack community toxicity from the grass roots up. As I've said before there is no silver bullet to this problem. The approach we're going to use is a multi-layered approach. One of those layers is giving people an extremely clear message about their in-game behavior. If they act badly as defined by the desires of 90% of the community their bad actions will hurt their in-game power level. I feel reasonably confident I can proxy my opinion for what 90% of the people I intend to sell this game to want. We have lots of time to make minor adjustments and consider corner cases.
(emphasis mine)

Feel free to continue blaming it on some "anti-PvP" crowd if you like, but anyone who values rational thought will consider the likelihood that the folks who have been active in the PFO community for years were attracted to the game Ryan described and aren't actually trying to change anything.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Tuoweit
Dreaden
And how do they determine what the majority of player's want?

They don't really need to determine the majority of players' wants, they need to determine the majority of their target market's wants. To my understanding, that target market(s) has been expressed as (a) tabletop Pathfinder players who might not otherwise get into an MMO, and (b) MMO players who are looking for a sandbox game but are turned off the no-holds-barred PvP in existing sandbox games like EVE Online and Darkfall. They will, invariably, attract people outside of their target market on occasion, but the wants of those outside their target market are not really relevant to their business plan.
Dreaden
Is banditry not meaniful? Is protecting your settlement's monopoly over a resource not meaningful? There is an assumption that all pvper's are griefers, in reality most of us use combat to achieve a goal. Is this not meaniful? I believe so and I truly believe we are all being punished for the actions of a few. After this patch we will not be able to keep trespassers off our mountain, we will not be able to kill gatherers competing for resources, and banditry will dwindle to one or two kills a week. These are but a few of the examples this patch will bring about.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Dreaden
And how do they determine what the majority of player's want? I haven't seen any voting or polls, a couple "loud" anti PvP opinions on the forums doesn't equal a majority of player's.
There have been some specific requests for opinions in the past, via the forums, though not recently. There were a couple of polls conducted, though not at GW's instigation, to which they may or may not have paid attention. Ideascale is their preferred spot at the moment for gauging the community's desires. They may or may not use other methods in the future (or past before I came along)

As frustrating as it can be, there is actually no reason for them not to decide to listen to squeaky wheels. It is their money, and their game. If they decide the 'couple "loud" anti PvP opinions' represent the community, that's their prerogative, although my opinion is that the squeaky wheels are less "anti-PvP" and more "PvP might not mean what you think it does in the context of this game."

But, again, it's their business, not ours (and by business, I mean jobs and livelihoods). I will continue to make my opinions known and expect no less from other people. I have no idea which of us is "right," and it is not my responsibility to decide that. Nor will I be offended if it turns out I'm wrong. My sole responsibility with regard to PFO is to decide what to do with my time and money, along with the basics of being a good member of society.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Dreaden
Is banditry not meaniful? Is protecting your settlement's monopoly over a resource not meaningful? There is an assumption that all pvper's are griefers, in reality most of us use combat to achieve a goal. Is this not meaniful? I believe so and I truly believe we are all being punished for the actions of a few. After this patch we will not be able to keep trespassers off our mountain, we will not be able to kill gatherers competing for resources, and banditry will dwindle to one or two kills a week. These are but a few of the examples this patch will bring about.
Banditry is absolutely meaningful. The game needs banditry and the devlopers require it to provide content. Bandits will make choices. One of those choices involves being unable to enter polite settlements for a period of time. That time needs to be figured out. We are several steps into the process of figuring out what that time should be. For the next couple of weeks, the choice might involve an unacceptable level of repercussions. If it does, the devs will have to fix that or they will lose their bandits.

This is one two week period in a very long line of planned feature and adjustment roll-outs. Currently those who have no desire to test their combat against others are living with theft from husks (or corpses) providing no rep hit, which it will eventually. A sub-group is complaining that they will leave the game if they're going to get killed and their stuff taken. Another sub-group is complaining that they will leave the game if they can't kill more people per time unit. The devs are trying to balance things so that the smallest number of people are too upset to play. Hopefully by Open Enrollment they'll get it right, and it won't be too late.

In the meantime, they have said over and over again, Early Enrollment will be full of adjustments and frustrations. I'm aware that you don't like being told that the answer is don't play right now, but that doesn't change the only available answer.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Nihimon
Dreaden
After this patch we will not be able to keep trespassers off our mountain…

That's unfortunate, but buck up. Everyone playing the game right now is missing something that is vital to their enjoyment of the game. I expect pretty much everyone agrees with you that there needs to be some way for a Settlement to claim territory and impose laws there such that trespassers get flagged so they can be killed without Reputation Loss.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
So now all settlements are PVP Safe Zones.

"PvP
Reputation regeneration has been altered. Characters gain 10 points of reputation an hour, in realtime. Like earning XP, the character need not be logged in to regenerate Reputation."

This makes it sound like it is a good thing, but it is a nerf. Before you could recover 100 points per hour of game login time, typically 200 points per game session. That now takes 20 hours or real time.

There was little PVP to begin with, there will be even less now. Harvesters will have essentially a free pass, especially if they are near a settlement and can get within the expanded aggro range of Thorn Keep Guards.

What you will end up with is an AH flooded with infinitely common resources, with little or no value, and crated gear will not warrant the time it takes to put it in the queue.

I buy that +4 Tier 2 armor for 10 CP.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Tuoweit
Bluddwolf
What you will end up with is an AH flooded with infinitely common resources, with little or no value, and crated gear will not warrant the time it takes to put it in the queue.

I buy that +4 Tier 2 armor for 10 CP.

Obviously you've never actually tried to gather or craft anything in-game, or you value your time at nothing.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post