Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Escalations: More Is Better, But Which Kind of More First?

Bob
Illililili
I would like the option to ally with some of the escalations, do quests/killing for them, and work your way up in rep with them to some type of alliance level.

We're hoping to add complexities along those lines at some point, but they require a lot of tech. For now, I try to make all the Escalations feel like threats to everyone in the area, so everyone can feel good about tackling them.
Giorgio
1- Make it easier to understand what is going on, what is required, and put timers in.

2- More Phases

3- Better loot
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Gudrun Grimfury
-A big, stubborn escalation that spreads and stays. I've not seen one with ogres or trolls (there are a few ogres in some, but the "natural" ogres are more plentiful than escalation ogres).
-More variety in the types of escalations,
-More phases in the ones already in.
Illililili
Gudrun Grimfury
-A big, stubborn escalation that spreads and stays. I've not seen one with ogres or trolls (there are a few ogres in some, but the "natural" ogres are more plentiful than escalation ogres).
-More variety in the types of escalations,
-More phases in the ones already in.

This is already in, and called "Mordent Spire" It is so nasty that the devs have to go out and curtail it themselves…
markelphoenix
-Make the events that require you to 'speak to NPC_NAME_HERE' more obvious in regards to how to find them. No flashing arrows, or giant exclamation points obviously, but something as simple as, "Speak to the Hellknight near the bridge to the west!" (with location being based upon HEX center)

-I also add to the 'make killing boss meaningful loot wise'. Maybe a guarantee from the top Tier, but not a guarantee of what form the Top Tier. I.E. could be a T3 Salvage, a maneuver/spell, recipe, large gold drop, etc. Have it have a guarantee to draw SOMETHING from the top shelf, considering the effort that goes into escalation clearing.

-Competitive Escalations: Offer two ways, each opposing the other, to complete an escalation. Not as advanced as the aforementioned faction/choose a side system mentioned earlier, but would be a solid step TOWARD that direction. Think of it as ground work for future iteration. Mechanically, it'd work by having two mutually exclusive goals. i.e. A group of necromancers seek to end the undead uprising by enslaving the undead to their will and send them off to do their bidding. Alternatively, a local sect of Cleric's seek to purify the undead and consider the necromantic actions as callus disrespect for the dead. You choose, do you help the necromancers or the clerics? Either way, once the 'event' is settled, that sides means of 'clearing the escalation' becomes the dominate means of de-escalation for that escalation until the escalation is fully resolved. All the following events in the chain are from the winning side of the first Competitive Event for that Escalation.

-Special Resource Nodes: Put resource nodes that have much higher chance of providing higher tier resources in Legend + Escalation camps. This would encourage the PVE and Gatherers to come together to the escalations, not just leaving the gatherers roaming hexes and avoiding risk. Would also provide for interesting PVP opportunities. If the less than savory sorts know that an escalation group is out and about clearing AND gathering the high end nodes, them ambushing the escalation group would be a legit strategy toward acquiring fresh resources and means of crafting, as opposed to farming it themselves (just like right proper Evil Hooligans).
Wolf of Rathglen
I rarely see anyone finishing off escalations, so I'd say more phases from the list and variety of size/type of groups within the escalations. The exception being a few category point oriented escalations where we can go to rack up divine points from the NPCs and quests (Float Any River) or subterfuge points (Skullbasher Ogres).

I want to talk about two specific things: quest critical NPCs and timers.

Quest critical NPCs are the ones you have to talk to in between advancing a quest. Steal 5 onyx gems then talk to the Goldenfire Wizard. WHERE THE EFF IS A GOLDENFIRE WIZARD!?!? It's awful to search 80% of a hex then find two on opposite sides of a road from each other. Brambleclaw spies are the worst. Only one single quest item at a time and then you have to run literally across half the hex to an elder then half a hex back to get one more quest item.

It would be great if they can be forcibly distant from each other so they're more spread out and easier to find one from any particular point in the hex, but even better if the critical NPC spawned and despawned with clusters of their related encounters.

Clocks
A lot of people say they want to see timers, probably because it SUCKS to be 80% done then the quest resets to zero on you. But also I HATE the idea of visible timers for most situations and I have a better proposed solution than seeing every clock all the time.

Bonedancer recruiters getting killed off should make it take LONGER for the recruitment drive to succeed i.e. an invisible timer that gets rest each time the quest is advanced. Make steady progress and it will never fail on you, yet you don't have the immersion break of a digital clock in the corner.

But other times like ogres cooking the villagers it makes sense that you're racing against the clock. 25 minutes until the pots are boiling, you need to save 10 villagers go go go!

The best solution is to advance the system so clocks can show or not and get reset on quest advancement or not based on what makes sense for the story behind the quest.
Hammerfall: Like a waterfall, but tougher.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Might be nice to have the clocks tied to an in-game day. Have the clock run-out at sunrise or sunset or both. It would provide a solid visual clue that you are running out of time, and those who are dedicated can figure out where that is in relation to the clock.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Wolf of Rathglen
Thinking during lunch about how resets affect length of timers and strength of escalations I realized reset is the wrong word.

More specifically I mean adding a logical amount back on the timer each quest advancement up to the quest's maximum.
Hammerfall: Like a waterfall, but tougher.
Bob
Giorgio
1- Make it easier to understand what is going on, what is required, and put timers in.

Sadly, much of this (particularly the timers) would require new tech. The best I can do from a content side is to edit some of the text to provide better explanations. If you find an Escalation or Event where the text is confusing, submit a bug and I'll try to make it clearer.
Bob
Gudrun Grimfury

I don't have any trolls to work with at the moment, but for ogres your best bet is to go find my friend Ogg the Undying. Nice fellow.

The Skull-Bashers, who are a little easier to find, don't spawn as many ogres per goblin as I'd intended. I'll get that rebalanced shortly.

Gudrun Grimfury
-More variety in the types of escalations

Most of the variety right now has to come from the various mixes of enemies and Events. More complex variety will have to wait for more tech.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post