Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Hello!

smb1970
I think I just quit my DDO guild. I haven't decided yet.

Being a tabletop Pathfinder player I've had my eye on Pathfinder online and came right over here and got a subscription to "punish" DDO for annoying me. Well in actual fact it wasn't DDO, I like the game or the idea of it anyway.

I've realised I have a low tolerance for people that haven't learned how to play well with others and today was the final straw. Fortunately I have a high tolerance for people that have learned to play well with others. Hopefully this place is full of those sort.

So, anyway, I'm a 44 year old male from the UK, been playing tabletop games since, oh forever and computer games about as long. I'm pretty good at beating the *!^$ out of evil and helping my party out when they need it with a fine head for strategy. I also have a lovely singing voice.

Anyone out there that wants to take me by the shoulders, guild me to a bar stool and tell me all about why I should forget about DDO and build myself a little house in Pathfinder Online?

Azure_Zero
Welcome, smb1970.

PFO is more social and community based than most MMOs and the Devs don't approve of toxic behavior.
Almost all settlements have agreements with other settlements and help each other, though some settlements have chosen to be the bad guys you could say.

If you have questions ask around folks will answer your questions.
And be sure to check out the Settlement and Companies subforums for a gaming group that fits your playstyle.
But you should also pay attention to the geography and political landscape when picking a settlement or company.
i.e. In the Western Side of the Map in the Highroad Covenant Alliance* we have 0 to 5 PVPing PKers moving around in the area in a week at most at the moment. So you can enjoy the PVE content with out getting PKed and robbed of your stuff.

Folks in the Highroad Covenant are friendly and welcoming to new comers and help will new players learn the game.

*High Road Convenant Alliance is made of the settlements, Talonguard, Tavernhold and Stoneroot Glade

Signed
AZ, Talonguard
Deianira Sunstorm
Welcome! Always room for lovely singng voices!

Definitely take a look at the Settlements and Companies subforums, as PFO is really group-oriented and you'll enjoy it more with like-minded folk. Also go over to the New Player Help forum as it is full of useful information. Hug it, and pet it, and squeeze it, and name it George. (Sorry. Watched old Looney Tunes cartoons while hopped up on cold meds. It rubbed off.)

In game, the Help channel is your friend. The community here is very welcoming, and always happy to see new players both here and in game.

As you're UK based, keep an eye out for Emerald Lodge players; we're split between North American and European timezones so there's likely to be someone available during your online time. A lot of us are also Pathfinder Society players, and the Lodge is designed with the ideals of the Society in mind.
Contact me on Paizo: Deianira
Kitsune
Voting with your wallet. I like it.

Welcome.
Thod-Theodum
Welcome!!

Yes - the Emerald Lodge has the origins in the UK pathfinder Society. Core players are more and more from outside this group. We are not one of the LARGE groups - but that makes us more a smaller group where you still can contribute a lot. Now might be an ideal time to join if you are engaged.
If you want to play less - we have a lot of laid back players and that is perfectly fine.
Only issue - tonight is my tabletop night and I GM - so don't expect me tonight apart of a quick log in ahead of the game or afterwards.
You can even meet some of us at conventions. Just back from Conception and will be at PaizoCon UK and I have a stall at Games Expo.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
smb1970
Thanks for the welcome folks!

I logged in last night and wandered around, got splatted by some goblins, figured out how to swing my club ( I'm a wizard so such brute force measures are quite alien to me ). Found a couple of nice wizards that were happy to teach me some things and went back and taught the goblins some lessons. Then I discovered the area was plagued by bandits and gave them a stern talking to.

The game does seem very basic at the moment but hey that's early enrollment. The Emerald Lodge seems like a great place to wander over to and see if I can lend a hand. How do I get there and do I just wander over now or will I miss important things where I am?
Thod-Theodum
Hi
I would suggest that you do the different starter quests first - and then just come down to Emerald Lodge. The best time to meet people there is from after the shut-down until early night UK. Don't harvest too much - as you need to carry everything.
If you have any starter packs - unpack them only after arrival. I could give you protection on the way but would need to know when you leave. So best come without too much stuff - so that losing something doesn't cost you too much.

Make large detours for monsters and as Doctor Who says 'RUN' if you get attacked. We should have most basic equipment and can make you better equipment relative fast.
For some reason I always think new players are in Marchmont. If you are in Rathglen - some coal is always nice. If you are in Ossians Crossing - you will need to get up the pass and some hemp is useful. But don't worry too much and don't get killed on the way.

People to look out for (this household):
Thod - leader but often out gathering
Theodum - leader (DT of Thod) - Sage and seldom logged in
Zaar Frozen Blade - Smelter, Miner (my son)
Jazz Strongblade - Armoursmith and you find here most times at the bank as she gives out equipment (my wifes account but she isn't truly playing yet)
Alirya - my daughter and the tailor (your point of call for robes - but they tend to be given to Jazz)

Flitwyck - staff and wand supplies
many other members who are all friendly

PS: Wednesday is tabletop game night - so will be in early and very late tonight
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
smb1970
Hmm, I've just found the map with the settlements and noticed that the Emerald Lodge seems to be sat right in the middle of Grand Central Evil. Possibly not where I want to hang out.
Azure_Zero
The West of Side of the map has few to No PKs currently during the Week so if you want a safe area far from the PK PVP lines where you can learn the game in peace and the folks are friendly go to the Highroad Covenant which is made up of Talonguard, Tavernhold or Stoneroot Glade.

Signed
AZ, Talonguard
Gog
smb1970
Hmm, I've just found the map with the settlements and noticed that the Emerald Lodge seems to be sat right in the middle of Grand Central Evil. Possibly not where I want to hang out.

Emerald Lodge is sat right next to the Emerald Spire, the planned site of the largest dungeon in the game. They chose that spot specifically to be a neutral stopping point and supply market for dungeoneers.

With that said, yes, Golgotha is a close neighbor, but while we are evil aligned it's important to note that we are Lawful Evil, and actually have a very good working relationship with our active neighbors.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post