Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Exploitish Ustalavs (emphasis on the -ish)

Ryan Dancey
My guess is that mob AI will be boring until it isn't. And that transition will shock a lot of people. Here's hoping it's something we can buy off the shelf from whomever gets an interesting mob AI engine working.
QMan
Umm…I actually find the chaotic Mob AI we get now from PFO far more interesting than your usual variety of MMOs.
Decius
Ryan Dancey
My guess is that mob AI will be boring until it isn't. And that transition will shock a lot of people. Here's hoping it's something we can buy off the shelf from whomever gets an interesting mob AI engine working.
There's a good RPS AI out there already. I'm not sure how well it could be adapted to "predict the player's strategy and execute an appropriate counter-strategy in a way that seems fair", mostly because I don't see any way to make it seem fair for the AI to pick a strategy without having players simply identify which strategy was being used and execute the counter to it.

I do like how spreading the aggro around helped to break the Tank/Healer meme.

A more obvious animation for knockdown would be useful; maybe have the model drop to a knee, rather than just looking at their feet?
Kradlum Kabal
Ryan Dancey

I look forward to the day when the mob's great-great-grand children hunt down your destinies twin in the nearest town and exact their revenge!
Honest Snotbad's Travelling Traders. Purveyors of fine goods since 2015.
Stoneroot Glade - Home of the brave.
Tyncale
Mob-AI is overrated, imo. There is however a simple way how PFO could spice up PvE, and that is by implementing NPC's that are pathing. I hope that the current implementation of NPC's in this game is only a very first iteration.

Roamers, bandits patrolling the roads of a Hex, wolves running around in packs. I hope these pathing scripts can go "cross-hex" but even if that is not possible, you can do a lot with simple pathing scripts within a Hex. The thing about roamers and pathing NPC's is that is requires much more vigilance from the players and can also be used to employ tactics. Apart from livening up a Gameworld big time, off course.

It is stuff like that that sometimes make me yearn for a solid PvE MMO. In one quest in Everquest you needed to loot the head from a Dwarf NPC that usually hung out in one of the taverns of Qeynos. A pretty obnoxious dwarf too, called Tumpy. He had several scripts, some of which would fire random, some could be provoked. In a little sidequest he (rudely)asked for a few beers. If you gave him these, then after some time, he would start a script where he would go "take a leak" and wander out of the Inn and follow certain path through town.

However Qeynos also has a lot of pathing Guards that follow a certain route. And whenever you attack an NPC within a certain range of these guards, these guards will kill you. So the whole trick was to get Tumpy Irontoe to go on his little walkabout and make sure you picked a spot along his route where you could get him alone, without any of the guards wandering by. Those guards would most definately patrol along that route too though. Killing Tumpy and looting his head with Guards just rounding the corner and coming into view is one of the most exiting things I have ever done in a MMO.

Sorry PvP-folks!
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Midnight
Because this game already has so many unfamiliar things in it, I've argued that unpredictable AI may be a bit much to absorb, especially for the new folks.

But even with vets, look at how few players want to fight Sleepers in Eve, even though they are guarding or providing what is among the best resources in the game. Lots of (most?) players tried them and said aww hells no.

I'll grant you that hundreds (maybe thousands) of players in a 300,000 player game have managed to inhabit wormhole space and thrive, but considering the rewards, I think that it says something that something like 99% of the players don't want to live in wormhole space.

At some point you might have to give up some novelty to provide the masses with familiarity. I'm not saying that for everything, nor does AI have to be where the compromise for familiarity is made. But the AI is something that most players in most games interact with constantly through most of their gaming sessions. It's a very big part of any game, and one can argue it's a great place to add novelty, but this game isn't lacking novelty. It may very well be suffering from a lack of the familiar. I don't have a strong opinion on it, but I worry that an AI that punishes an entire group for one player's facepull has already led to less grouping and thus less player activity since the change.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
double post
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
Tyncale
Sorry PvP-folks!

PvP folks live for danger.

But having a *player* guard discover us ought to be far more terrifying.

I think it is bad that the guards are more of a threat to me than the players.

But players just weren't happy if they didn't have someplace to chill and stop looking over their shoulders, and they weren't willing to take turns providing protection so others could chill when they had the alternative of telling the devs to just turn a dial and give them what they craved.

I'm really surprised we don't have guards defending our towers (and we've already had people call for it), and the next step after that would be having guards take towers for us.

Oh, guard, yoo-hoo guard… I need more sage recipes and this list of dowser resources, go fetch those for me, would you?
-Edmund Burke
Kakafika
Living Dangerously: Hunting crafters and afk bankers.
Kitsune
Kakafika
Living Dangerously: Hunting crafters and afk bankers.

I'm picturing Steve Irwin (R.I.P.):
"Right! Ah, would you look at that? She's a beauty! It looks like she's currently working on a new set of plate armor. Let's get a closer look."

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post