Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

EE v4.0 TEST SERVER Release Notes

Caldeathe Baequiannia
Ryan Dancey
These are the release notes for Early Enrollment v4.0
Escalations
  • Skeletal Uprising Win Boss changed from Fighter to Wizard.
Is there a list anywhere of the Clerical escalation win bosses?
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Jokken
HardinSteele
All the tower changes mean is that you might not get to spend your experience now on what you want. The XPs will continue to accumulate, and at worst you have to train up later on when you can build your own settlement and towers are long gone and irrelevant. The drama is silly. Settlements will not explode in a negative tower eruption of "not enough towers". Go out and talk to your allies. If you don't have allies, make some. If you are not nice enough company to be able to work with other people, you have a problem.

Not having enough towers will not be the end of the world, and these release notes are for the test server, and not the live server. Chill out people.

What it means is that those of us that have the numbers will have training. Those who do not, will either join those who do or quit in frustration. Once the winners and losers in this situation has been determined the winners will crush the losers to an even greater degree as the winners will have superior training and gear. I don't like either option, honestly.
Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc
Mbando
QMan
KarlBob
One more issue: According to a quote from Lisa on the Paizo messageboard*, there's a substantial percentage of players who aren't enrolled in any settlement at all. Does anyone think lowering the level to which NPC towns can train characters would help push the unaffiliated into PC settlements? Or would it just result in a lot of newbies playing for a few levels, mistakenly thinking that the maximum NPC town level is as far as their characters can advance, and quitting?

Man that's a tough one. We've tried reaching out to new players, but many think that we are trying to recruit them for a guild. It's difficult to try and explain the settlement stuff in a casual meeting in game. Also the recruitment I feel is a little competitive and I would like to see multiple settlements grow. Well I would like to see all of them grow honestly, but a lot of groups put some hard work into getting where they are and trying to find these new players can be cumbersome. I think many want to try and get a feel for the game before joining a group/settlement. But the New Player Experience is still in heavy development and I wonder how long they actually stay in the game before being frustrated, let alone actively looking for a group to join.
How many times does this happen: someone tries the game, and it is so overwhelmingly confusing that they quit after a few tries?

I think the biggest challenge facing PFO is the learning curve is so steep that it is a powerful barrier to entry for most players. For my friends, it has been a difficult, sometimes failed task to work with them in game long enough to where they aren't totally lost and feel like the game is no fun. So one friend, she stuck it out long enough to not hate the game, while my gf is still sort of hating the game and is hesitant to log in but might play enough to get it, and another two tried it, it made no sense, and because we weren't able to hook up in game long enough to do a kind of apprenticeship, they bailed.

It seems pretty obvious to me that training is one of those "stick some direct scaffolding in game" things. When someone hits the training cap there should be a message like "To train any higher in this, you'll have to join a player settlement" from the trainer. Relying on blogs, new player guides, or the boards to inform new players of really critical show-stoppers makes no sense, when you could easily insert some direct scaffolding into the game.
A member of Ozem's Vigil, home to servants of Iomedae and her coming Paladins.
Kradlum Kabal
@Hardinsteele - It's on the test server now, so it's due for release in 4 days. If we don't talk about it now, when do we talk about it?

Some people will have already spent that xp and will have their abilities taken away from them. That puts them at a disadvantage to those who have spent xp on abilities that haven't been taken away. Depending on the ability, it could be 1/4 of all the xp earnt since day 1 to today. They spent that xp in good faith, they don't expect to have their abilities pulled out from underneath them.
Honest Snotbad's Travelling Traders. Purveyors of fine goods since 2015.
Stoneroot Glade - Home of the brave.
Duffy Swiftshadow
HardinSteele
All the tower changes mean is that you might not get to spend your experience now on what you want. The XPs will continue to accumulate, and at worst you have to train up later on when you can build your own settlement and towers are long gone and irrelevant. The drama is silly. Settlements will not explode in a negative tower eruption of "not enough towers". Go out and talk to your allies. If you don't have allies, make some. If you are not nice enough company to be able to work with other people, you have a problem.

Not having enough towers will not be the end of the world, and these release notes are for the test server, and not the live server. Chill out people.

If no one says anything why would the notes change before live? Is there an equal population on the test server practicing WoT that would bring issues to light?

As to your main point, I have allies. In fact it's possible that me and my allies currently control the largest continuous chunk of game world and come close if not rival some of the larger groups for tower control. But this change will cripple our alliance. The math if these changes go through does not support alliances of settlements, it supports a few already dominant settlements. You seem to be under the impression the game will make it out of WoT, from what I have seen and heard about the game's finances and current player-base that is not a guarantee.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Duffy Swiftshadow
You seem to be under the impression the game will make it out of WoT, from what I have seen and heard about the game's finances and current player-base that is not a guarantee.
It's possible you have seen financials of which I am not aware, but I suspect that Paizo can easily carry this another year without breaking a sweat if they feel it's worth it. How we play will determine that.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Duffy Swiftshadow
You seem to be under the impression the game will make it out of WoT, from what I have seen and heard about the game's finances and current player-base that is not a guarantee.
It's possible you have seen financials of which I am not aware, but I suspect that Paizo can easily carry this another year without breaking a sweat if they feel it's worth it. How we play will determine that.

Maybe, I certainly hope so.

But based on comments about the size of the team, the reasons for wanting to sub during EE, and the significantly lower than expected initial turnout make me a little nervous. Possible changes that make the game experience tedious or unfriendly are certainly not going to help.

I still hold focusing on large scale conflict is a mistake at this point. The population and mechanics just don't support it. I think they should shift to smaller and diverse features.
Bringslite
I have to agree with Mandos (not just because he is so damn sexy smile ). The best way to help new players, lost and lonely players, to increase the player base. To educate the player base. Is to:

1. Lower the entry barrier for the general public. $50 is too high for most, especially when it is followed soon by a required sub. The Buddy system is a good start, but I for one (and all I have talked with) have exausted thier pool of friends to invite or want to wait until the game develops more, before cajoling those friends.

2. Get some in game information to these players that do not read the forums and the blogs. These players are MANY and they have not much idea of what is going on or how things work. Is that thier fault? Yes, sort of. Players often don't consume out of game information. Does that matter? Yes it does. You have to get the message to them clearly ingame, as that is the only place that they really learn what is going on. How many players that don't bother with outside info sources can GW (or we) afford to lose to frustration? Not many.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Decius
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Duffy Swiftshadow
They could, but that would not be a sound business decision for them. Any investment Paizo made was marginal given the current business plan. (I say 'marginal' based on the evidence I have that Goblinworks did not attract the amount of outside investors that they wanted to, and presumably they are better-informed than I am).

Changing the business plan to a worse one (if it were better, it would have been the planned one) would probably turn any further investment from Paizo into either chasing a sunk cost or salvaging a brand nightmare.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Duffy Swiftshadow
They could, but that would not be a sound business decision for them. Any investment Paizo made was marginal given the current business plan. (I say 'marginal' based on the evidence I have that Goblinworks did not attract the amount of outside investors that they wanted to, and presumably they are better-informed than I am).

Changing the business plan to a worse one (if it were better, it would have been the planned one) would probably turn any further investment from Paizo into either chasing a sunk cost or salvaging a brand nightmare.
Just bolding the relevant part.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post