Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

NPC Pathing problems

Nihimon
There is a bug that causes mobs to get "stuck" on other mobs' corpses when they're chasing me. I'm not sure it counts as "exploitable" since it seems like it would not be possible to easily force the condition, but I wanted to bring it to your attention.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Bunibuni
Various dogs and wolves also seem to get hung up, running back and forth in a small area or running a huge distance away to circle a non-existent mountain.
Crafting! Gathering! Monster Killing! Exploring! Politicking! That's us in a nutshell! Ranged Attackers, crafters and gatherers come join the Holy Magicks company based out of High Road. Our main motto is "Death Thru Superior Fire Powers!"
Schedim
Sometimes I have seen Ogres do the same (although it happens most often with Omega Wolves, I think). Something throws them off track and makes them do a detour…
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
Bob
We're aware of the issue and NPC pathing is certainly something we'll improve over time. As long as this is just happening occasionally, feel free to kill off the confused NPC. Consider it payback for any other bugs that hurt you in the past. If someone figures out a way to trigger this on a regular basis (enough to make it worthwhile focusing on encounters where it can be triggered and avoiding encounters where it can't), then it becomes an exploit and should be reported again as such.
Jokken
Last night I was able to fight a very large pack of wolves by kiting them so that they would path through two trees very close together. I was able to stand just behind the gap and fight them off in waves of 3. Definitely felt like an exploit…
Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc
Bob
Jokken
Last night I was able to fight a very large pack of wolves by kiting them so that they would path through two trees very close together. I was able to stand just behind the gap and fight them off in waves of 3. Definitely felt like an exploit…

Certainly doesn't sound good. The big question is how often you're able to pull this off and how efficient it is.
Ryan Dancey
The wolves in particular are notorious for this problem. We think it's because they have a "long" rectangular shape instead of a "tall" rectangle (like a humanoid) and for some reason the pathing middleware has a hard time figuring out how to move them from point to point.
Edam
One observation is that whilst humanoids regularly jump crazy heights to get to you (leaping over large tents or up sheer cliffs for example) the wolves seem very much earth bound even though intuitively you would expect a wolf to jump obstructions better than a human.

Generally speaking though nodes seem to prevent insurmountable obstacles to NPCs.
lfseeney
The Wolves save themselves sometimes because of the long run as they avoid AOEs.
Schedim
lfseeney
The Wolves save themselves sometimes because of the long run as they avoid AOEs.

At first I actually thought it was a feature that the wolves tended to arc in from the flanks.
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post