Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

The Wizard/Armor Problem

Ortallus
Please delete this thread/comment.
My ban has now gone from 7 days to permanent with a chance to appeal after 6 months. Paizo has violated the ToS and EULA, which mention nothing about repercussions for actions on the forums resulting in loss of access to the game client. I have not done anything in violation of the rules which would warrant a ban from the game client.
Edam
Ortallus
markelphoenix
Ortallus, thank you for your post. I had found my own 'rotation' for wizard that has been working, yet working difficultly. Am curious to try out your ideas.

You bet. I'm sure there are various others that work. A lot of people seem to like killing laugh or whatever, though it doesn't fit in with my buffs and electric strike unless I have 2 staves equipped. However, I like my wand alternate for situational stuff.

Eventually I want to go staff and short bow, in robes, with thieve's kit on staff side and spellbook on bow side, to really and truly get that rogue/wizard feel. I'm positive that when CC effects begin working against monsters, I'll use them a LOT.

Also, I love scholar feature, too. =P

Admittedly my wizard uses +2 robes and +2 staffs but the advantage of +2 is not massive.

In terms of solo tactics the AoE spells still rule. My wizard tends to run with the more traditional Wraiths Cry/Wilting Surge on a Diminishing Staff with Deadly Proximity as a ranged backup.

Wraiths Cry one shots full wolves and bandits in melee, you can actually run up to small groups and flatten them with wraiths cry if you are quick (dangerous tactic but avoids the archer interrupt issue).

If if I cast Deadly proximity on a forward target and then Wilting Surge I can severely damage most of a white group and pick off stragglers.

Other than that energetic field and windrider (wand) are also must haves. The two combined can be a "get out of jail card" when surrounded and tripped and about to die. Also remember NPC only spam the interrupts when out of stamina so using windrider to get range and kiting till they get stamina back will stop the interrupts temporarily.

In combat it gets more tricky as AoE spells draw lots of aggro and also if catch your party members you turn red and the games poor situational awareness means a spamming archer can accidentally kill you before they even realized they have autotargetted you. We tend to limit AoE spells as openers in party combat to situations were multiple casters can simultaneously cast and drop most of the mob in a couple of hits.

Also remember if its melee attacks that is killing you train your reflex saves up as high as you can afford, train your HP up as high as you can afford, keep energetic field up for better saves cast any other buffs have and be prepared to cast windrider (or just use the utility evasion if you have a bow as second weapon) and run if HP gets below 50%.
Ortallus
My ban has now gone from 7 days to permanent with a chance to appeal after 6 months. Paizo has violated the ToS and EULA, which mention nothing about repercussions for actions on the forums resulting in loss of access to the game client. I have not done anything in violation of the rules which would warrant a ban from the game client.
Edam
Ortallus
Regardless of all the other delightful and useful suggestions in here, I'd still loooooooove to see a mirror image type expendable. Even with the current AI, it'd give a wizard another good 3-4 seconds to act before he was engaged. Or at least cut down how many he was engaged by.

It is probably technically a lot more difficult than in an MMO then tabletop where you just pull out several more miniatures (or sometimes not even that) but on principle I am all for anything for my wizard that adds variety.

He has more than enough spells already that set up some peculiar debuff that currently has no effect on NPCs smile More funky defensive and utility spells for the win.
Ortallus
Edam
Ortallus
Edam: I want my rogue/wizard to have an illusionist bent. He'll probably switch to gnome when that option comes along. So Mirror Image would be right up his alley.

There are 19 T1 wizard expendables and not one is an illusion spell.

Maybe they are waiting for gnomes to create some but at present it is not looking hopeful for illusionists smile
Ortallus
Double
Ortallus
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Edam
Ortallus
Regardless of all the other delightful and useful suggestions in here, I'd still loooooooove to see a mirror image type expendable. Even with the current AI, it'd give a wizard another good 3-4 seconds to act before he was engaged. Or at least cut down how many he was engaged by.
It is probably technically a lot more difficult than in an MMO then tabletop where you just pull out several more miniatures (or sometimes not even that) but on principle I am all for anything for my wizard that adds variety.
Heck, in Alpha it happened to me by accident more than once. I even managed to cap a tower North of Rathglen in about half the time by having myself and my twin in the tower at the same time. It even behaved like mirror, leading me through the terrain about 2 meters in front of me.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Edam
Ortallus
Edam
Ortallus
Edam: I want my rogue/wizard to have an illusionist bent. He'll probably switch to gnome when that option comes along. So Mirror Image would be right up his alley.

There are 19 T1 wizard expendables and not one is an illusion spell.

Maybe they are waiting for gnomes to create some but at present it is not looking hopeful for illusionists smile

Color spray.

Er, sorry, rainbow spray. ;-)

Also, many of the mind affecting, and 'psychic' labelled orisons could be considered illusions. Killing laugh or w/e, too.

oh looking at wrong keywords

OK in expendables 1 to 3 there is Hideous laughter and Bestow Scourge as well.

Bestow Scourge is promising damage. They are still all damage spells though.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post