Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Making your Settlement Viable - Recruiting

Ryan Dancey
Bluddwolf
Ryan, the towers are in and of themselves not the PvP that interests us, as bandits.

OK. So in that case you should be spending 100% of your time being bandits right, because you have no meaningful need to take and hold any towers beyond the ones right around your Settlement. You've decided to opt-out of territorial warfare, and that's your choice. Just don't complain that there's no meaningful Tower fights. YOU chose to opt-out. That's not OUR problem.

The fact that the whole hex is PvP enabled is what interests us.

Explain to me why you care?

You can train up to a certain level regardless of your reputation in Rotter's Hole. Then, you have to wait something like 7 days from max negative Rep until your character can visit a Thornguarded Settlement. As those characters cease training the stuff that takes hours of XP, and start training the stuff that takes days of XP then weeks of XP, you don't need to go to town very often at all. You can't take a week off of being a Bandit every month to make one trip to your Settlement and train?

You need to have 1 single account to handle everything your bandit teams need to do in a Thornguarded Settlement.

Your ONE other account needs to have ONE character that can meet any of the rest of your band of bandits in the wilderness, take whatever accumulated loot your efforts have generated and run it back to town and bank it. If you're really good bandits, maybe you do that every couple of hours. Max.

So 23 days of the month your bandit crew should be camped out in high-value Hexes, ambushing the harvesters who are drawn there like flies to honey, right?

There are 5 meteor Hexes. I'll ask a third time: How much time has your crew spent waiting in one of those Hexes to ambush harvesters?

You shouldn't have target identification problems because nobody in your Settlement should be in those Hexes when your ambush team is operating. I mean, come on, that's like the barest minimum level of social cohesion.

But, since then, most people are not running around over encumbered and most are using Energized Field as an "I escape button".

Last week we had complaints that a group of ambushers were alpha-struck by a coordinated team of defenders generating 800 points of instantaneous damage, complaints that began with accusations that a Goblinworks staff member was "cheating". Are you using those tactics against the people using Energetic Field?

But, how does the removal of towers make settlements more viable? Isn't that the point of this thread? To make settlements more viable.

The point of this thread is to challenge and exhort Settlements to become more viable by getting more members by going out into the world and recruiting from the ginormous pool of people who post everywhere MMOs are discussed on the internet asking "why doesn't anyone make a true fantasy sandbox".

Altering the War of Towers isn't supposed to make Settlements more viable. It's supposed to make the game more interesting, and increase the pace of the destruction of war materiel so that the player-driven economy has more relevance.

Removing Towers makes people more likely to fight for them. Fewer resources, same population of Settlements == More Conflict.

Rothy
my opinion is that killing gatherers is boring, its not a challenge as there is no risk for me as my gear cant be looted,just damaged. It's not the type of PvP I want to do. Others will kill anything though tbh.
Ryan Dancey
@Rothy - yes, and you should be engaged in the War of Towers where you'll be facing opponents that put you at risk.
Chidar
Will there be small scale settlements in future for groups for 10 people who play together and are not interested in the larger 'company settlements' game? I mean not everyone wants to be in a large social group, which this product is currently pitched at. Along this line for those who are not interested in the large social bit of the game, how do we train past #Tier 1 without joining our small company to a larger settlement? Even if we did join a large settlement would we be killed by the guards as perma-red reputation? I consider having to wait 1 week for my reputation to restore prior to leveling or skiling pretty bad mechanics, it is not fair to ask a pk'er to wait, its just another additional penalty. Could we not just have rotters hold trainers able to do all tiers? That way it would also become a pvp hotspot, good for the game! The QQ from pk'ers and pvp'ers would reduce i'smilem sure.
Ortallus
Please delete this thread/comment.
My ban has now gone from 7 days to permanent with a chance to appeal after 6 months. Paizo has violated the ToS and EULA, which mention nothing about repercussions for actions on the forums resulting in loss of access to the game client. I have not done anything in violation of the rules which would warrant a ban from the game client.
Azure_Zero
There is a place you can go without the need of being tied to a settlement and have low rep,
It is called Rotter's Hole.

As for your small scale settlements, I think small scale in Ryan's eyes would be something like 100-200 people, not 10.
And the reason for the current setup is to stop jerks and trolls from leveling up and become the civil player's content.
Chidar
Azure_Zero
There is a place you can go without the need of being tied to a settlement and have low rep,
It is called Rotter's Hole.

As for your small scale settlements, I think small scale in Ryan's eyes would be something like 100-200 people, not 10.
And the reason for the current setup is to stop jerks and trolls from leveling up and become the civil player's content.
We know about rotters hole - does it train to tier 3? No i don't think so. Which is my question.
100-200 is not small scale if you think this then you have no idea about sword swinging mmo games.
As for your last comment - it doesn't make sense. What do you mean?
Chidar
@Ortallus

Yeah i read that and that's one of the reasons why i want to know if that is fixed or open to change as its very destructive to non-consensual pvp.

It appears after reading many threads that this game is not going to have much for 'challenging' pvp, rather focused on collective consensual pvp, which for many pvp'ers is not skill based but the 'numbers' game, hence less challenging.

I think this clarity is important if pvp'ers are to promote this product (or not).

I genuinely do not understand why the community and developers appear so scared of open non consensual pvp. It is manageable, for example some products make some areas pve only. there are many ways to do it - for an rpg game i am sure there are better ways than basically making it pretty much nonviable and unplayable - which seems to be the option undertaken here.
Ortallus
Please delete this thread/comment.
My ban has now gone from 7 days to permanent with a chance to appeal after 6 months. Paizo has violated the ToS and EULA, which mention nothing about repercussions for actions on the forums resulting in loss of access to the game client. I have not done anything in violation of the rules which would warrant a ban from the game client.
Thod-Theodum
@Ryan

I'm sorry - if you feel you have to 'extort' the settlements with your changes then you will activly drive away your most serious promoters. I don't know how much time I have spend promoting the Emerald Lodge and building it up. This was hard but I didn't mind the hours going into it. This was fun.

But reading your posts here gets me close to ranting and this is for someone who is proud that he tends to keep a level head and to prefer the diplomatic route as the preferred option. Take a step back and ask yourself if this truly is what you want to achieve?

Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post