Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Unbreakable vs Dragoon

Gog
A single plus one doesn't help much. When you stack up a few of them, it starts to help quite a bit.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
KarlBob
Guurzak
A single plus one doesn't help much. When you stack up a few of them, it starts to help quite a bit.
Edam
a total of +10 to resistances (+1 to all ten resistances) is actually massive
If I understood the OP correctly, Unbreakable only gives +1 to each resistance. If +1 doesn't mean much, then what makes ten different +1s "massive"?
markelphoenix
To realize the impact of 1 resistance, basically take what ever the Damage Factor is and multiply it by that resistance. So, assuming the persons attack roll surpases your reflex (in the case of a physical attack targeted at reflex), if their attack was a Damage Factor of 3.2, that extra 1 resistance just saved you 3.2 damage. How?

(Base - Resistance)*Modifiers (with Damage Factor being one of the modifiers). So Each extra point you subtract from their base damage is a point that doesn't get multiplied by the Damage Factor.

If Base = 10 and Resistance = 8 with a Damage Factor of 3, you would take 6 damage.
Increase Resistance by 1
Base = 10 Resistance = 9 Damage Factor of 3, you would take 3 damage.
Edam
markelphoenix
To realize the impact of 1 resistance, basically take what ever the Damage Factor is and multiply it by that resistance. So, assuming the persons attack roll surpases your reflex (in the case of a physical attack targeted at reflex), if their attack was a Damage Factor of 3.2, that extra 1 resistance just saved you 3.2 damage. How?

(Base - Resistance)*Modifiers (with Damage Factor being one of the modifiers). So Each extra point you subtract from their base damage is a point that doesn't get multiplied by the Damage Factor.

If Base = 10 and Resistance = 8 with a Damage Factor of 3, you would take 6 damage.
Increase Resistance by 1
Base = 10 Resistance = 9 Damage Factor of 3, you would take 3 damage.

Pretty much.

So it is not going to do a lot 1v1 against big damage attacks. The best bet there is get into T2 armor plus get your saves up (reflex for physical attacks).

It will become more significant in reducing DPS against multiple rapid small attacks from multiple sources.

Basically though if people are unhappy with unbreakable at T1 just wear +2 Hide and Steel or +2 Yew and Iron instead. I can make them both and will trade them for coal.
Decius
The first fire resist reduces damage by 1/45, or about 2% for a L1 attack, or by 1/55, still about 2%, for a L3 attack.

The tenth marginal point of fire resist reduces damage by 1/36 or 1/46, for about 2-3%.

The fiftieth drops damage by 0-100%, depending on exactly what the opponent is doing.

Chasing a few points from zero is low-value, but chasing a few more points from 'decent' is high-value. Unbreakable gains quite a bit from each +1 physical resistance, and when enchanting comes into play I expect that it will be even more effective.
markelphoenix
Also, for expendables, there are some that do crazy DF of x 8 at an early level. So each point then becomes worth 8 points of damage (looking at you clerics). The value directly scales with the DF being applied due to it being taken right off the top before any other calculation. Know it's been said, but just wanted to throw it out there as far as 'what to expect' as far as DFs.
Brighthaven Leader
The thing is comparing apples to oranges doesn't matter here, its about balancing those apples and oranges, so that they equally are satisfying. Personally, I do think that Unbreakable needs to be buffed, not entirely sure what kind of increase that it need though, although I think I might have an idea. Besides the +1 Resist, what if it also got a +1 to critical defense value every few levels? Something along the lines of …

1 - All Resistances +1, +0 Crit Defense
2 - All Resistances +1, +0 Crit Defense
3 - All Resistances +1, +1 Crit Defense
4 - All Resistances +1, +1 Crit Defense
5 - All Resistances +1, +2 Crit Defense
6 - All Resistances +2, +2 Crit Defense
7 - All Resistances +2, +3 Crit Defense
8 - All Resistances +2, +3 Crit Defense
9 - All Resistances +2, +4 Crit Defense
10 - All Resistances +2, +4 Crit Defense
11 - All Resistances +3, +5 Crit Defense
12 - All Resistances +3, +5 Crit Defense
13 - All Resistances +3, +6 Crit Defense
14 - All Resistances +3, +7 Crit Defense
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Edam
Cheatle for TEO
The thing is comparing apples to oranges doesn't matter here, its about balancing those apples and oranges, so that they equally are satisfying. Personally, I do think that Unbreakable needs to be buffed, not entirely sure what kind of increase that it need though, although I think I might have an idea. Besides the +1 Resist, what if it also got a +1 to critical defense value every few levels? Something along the lines of …

1 - All Resistances +1, +0 Crit Defense
2 - All Resistances +1, +0 Crit Defense
3 - All Resistances +1, +1 Crit Defense
4 - All Resistances +1, +1 Crit Defense
5 - All Resistances +1, +2 Crit Defense
6 - All Resistances +2, +2 Crit Defense
7 - All Resistances +2, +3 Crit Defense
8 - All Resistances +2, +3 Crit Defense
9 - All Resistances +2, +4 Crit Defense
10 - All Resistances +2, +4 Crit Defense
11 - All Resistances +3, +5 Crit Defense
12 - All Resistances +3, +5 Crit Defense
13 - All Resistances +3, +6 Crit Defense
14 - All Resistances +3, +7 Crit Defense

Well that wouldn't break anything the way getting +14 to all resists for maxing unbreakable might.

To my mind the optimal heavy armor feat is Crusader (especially since level 7 gathering pretty much gets you the T2 gateway), it's just the armor for it is hard to make.
Gromzok
Tuoweit
Each point of flat damage reduction is more valuable the more of it you have. Getting +3 resists may not seem like much versus, say, attacks doing 60 damage (5%), but the relative reduction is a lot greater when you stack it with heavy armor and you're going from 32 to 35 resistance: Reducing 28 damage to 25 is a ~10% reduction.
That logic is flawed sadly because 3 points is only 3 points whether it is 10% of total dmg or 50%.
Another problem with resist is that it's performance depends on atk speed meaning that light weapon users that hit more often deal way less dmg to you than heavy weapon users (especially 2h).
As it stands Unbreakable is very unbalanced right now and resistance should be removed completely from this feat and replaced with something else entirely or every single fighter will run around with Dragoon unless they take a leap of faith and trust GW to fix Unbreakable (like i will do).
Flynn Pontis
I have to agree with the unbreakable needs some tweaking people, there is a reason more people are running around in dragoon.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post