Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Priority for adding reasons for PvP

markelphoenix
I think one of the biggest things that will add to PVP is the addition of training costs. Lunacy, you say? Read on.

Once training costs are implemented, we will finally have a need for coin. With a need for coin, there will be a need for selling of goods for coin or farming mobs for coin, or both.

As trade hubs form, there will be opportunity for sacking players outside the safety of their respective settlements. There will be a direct incentive for people to farm mobs or harvest resources, in order to sell them on AH for coin. Likewise, there will be incentive for any crafters that may not be located in an ideal location, to haul their wares to a trade hub.

How does this increase PVP? Well, if targets are doing activities that puts directly convertible resources in play, then people will be more eager to grab those resources from the corpse of their enemy. Currently, it is a crap shoot. Do you really want the Fuzzy Elephant Belly Button Lent that this guys been harvesting for five hours? Your crafters already have way too much? Doesn't do anything for you? Well, congratz! Fuzzy Elephant Belly Button Lent is needed in Trade Hub 3! Take it there and sell it for coins! YAYYY PVP
Ortallus
Please delete this thread/comment.
My ban has now gone from 7 days to permanent with a chance to appeal after 6 months. Paizo has violated the ToS and EULA, which mention nothing about repercussions for actions on the forums resulting in loss of access to the game client. I have not done anything in violation of the rules which would warrant a ban from the game client.
Elsworth Sugarfoot
The game needs more rewards for PvP. WoT is not PvP. You gain a tower by standing in an empty hex, not by defeating your enemy on the field of battle. Murder and defense against murder is the only PvP in the game currently, and the only reward is the resources someone may have on them. If two PvP players go out to fight each other there is only loss and no reward, rep loss and durability loss. I know there are a lot of players chomping at the bit for reasons to PvP. Right now this bloodthirst manifests itself in murder (or quitting to play other games). I understand this is the least desirable pvp for the Devs.

I was going to wait until the WoT changes to post. I expect there will be a short burst of PvP, then things will return to normal.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
The WoT can not end soon enough, to be replaced by Outposts and Holdings. And if Goblin Works stays true to this blog:

On We Sweep with Threshing Oars

I will sing praises because we will finally have the raiding and banditry that is meaningful and benefits our settlement.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
I wanted to mention, on the point of making PvP meaningful, that instances of PvP should not generate the butt hurt outcry when it falls within the realm of legitimate game play.

In our most recent outcry, the victim had admitted he was killed just once in all of his time of gathering. Yet this one occurrence of being, in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and encountering the wrong character, set him on a tirade against PvP across these boards.

It is not enough to try to explain the merits of PvP to these anti PvP zealots. If they are unwilling to put their one time or even infrequent loss into context of all of the times they gathered without incident, then a stronger message should be sent.

"Maybe this is not the game for you", is not the same as a condemnation of "GTFO". It is instead firstly, a support for the game design as an open world PvP mmo. Secondly, it may cause the person to reevaluate how they are looking at their own tolerance level. Finally, it is going to be truthful in many cases.

We have often been told that PFO is anticipated to remain a very niche game, not suitable for everyone. That should include players so adverse to PvP that they blow limited instances of it way out of proportion.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Nihimon
It's funny how condescension and dismissal are so ineffective at getting players to look at PvP with a different perspective.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Nihimon
It's funny how condescension and dismissal are so ineffective at getting players to look at PvP with a different perspective.

This is an unfair and inaccurare allegation in the case in point. The individual was presented with reason, and the value of PvP explained by several. He had met every argument with condesention and in some cases was outright abusive towards any view he disagreed with. Some will just not be a good fit for e game, and there is nothing wrong with that. In the end, it was not PvP that drove him away, but his own abusive reaction to it here on the forums.

In defense of non consensual PvP the agrument should be made simply, "it exists and you will fall victim to it from time to time."

Caldeathe Baequiannia
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Nihimon

This is an unfair and inaccurare allegation in the case in point.
I don't think the comment is unfair at all. The fact that PvP is an essential, and useful part of the system, and that people are going to have to come to terms with that whether they like it or not, has nothing to do with how we communicate failing to get the results we want. Both sides (Including I) are guilty of belittling the people on the other side of the argument. I expect we could all stand to learn a little humility in how we treat each other.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Wylder
Tournament.

One Settlement hosts a tournament. Can be one-on-one fights. 2-player teams. 6-player teams. Battle Royale.

Each participant brings a required fee for each event. They could even fight with the coins and the winner loots, or participants hand over the coins to a judge to be distributed afterwards.

Developers could even throw in a unique item(s) to crown the victor.

Host Settlement should pay a fee, but gain benefit from AH transactions. Get a lot of players in one location and there's bound to be trade of all kinds.

Think that would offer a win-win. PVPers get good fights against quality opponents. PVEers could get a bunch of characters together to take on some local escalations. Crafters get to show/sell/trade their wares.

Just a thought…
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
I'm waiting for the outpost system to be in place. Then we may have more variety in meaningful PvP, or at the very least meaningful loot (from a settlement perspective).

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post