Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

MINTING COIN

Bunibuni
Since more money is wanted in the game and we can mine for copper, silver and gold ore, why not be able to mint our own money from those ores?

It shouldn't be something everyone can do but maybe the Engineer or the Expert could make coins? Maybe a level 13 recipe?

smile
Crafting! Gathering! Monster Killing! Exploring! Politicking! That's us in a nutshell! Ranged Attackers, crafters and gatherers come join the Holy Magicks company based out of High Road. Our main motto is "Death Thru Superior Fire Powers!"
Gog
You assume the premise that more money is wanted in the game. The reverse is true: we have too large, and too rapidly increasing, a supply of currency, relative to its actual utility.

Player minted coin would just exacerbate the inflation problem we already have. We shouldn't be looking at more coin faucets until we see some effective drains.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
markelphoenix
Guurzak
You assume the premise that more money is wanted in the game. The reverse is true: we have too large, and too rapidly increasing, a supply of currency, relative to its actual utility.

Player minted coin would just exacerbate the inflation problem we already have. We shouldn't be looking at more coin faucets until we see some effective drains.
+1
markelphoenix
Although….lets do a hypothetical. Ultimately, this game plans to have kingdoms. Lets play with his minting idea.

So, lets say a Kingdom wanted to have a currency that is specifically theirs. Part of a 'minting skill' would be converting copper coin, silver coin, and gold coins into a Specific Kingdom Currency. Kingdoms could establish a base line cost for things in universal currency (current coins) and their Kingdom Coins. This would facilitate economic warfare between power blocs. Imagine if a kingdom has really good economies of scale and can produce things in such a way that they can offer things at a discount. They even FURTHER offer a discount by offering better exchange rate in their local currency. This would drain Universal Currency from the pool and limit supply to competing power blocs. This would also give the other power blocs to offer an incentive to use THEIR local currency.

IE, if great deals primarily offered by a Kingdom, people will convert to that currency. When PVPed, you drop what currency you have on you. If an opposing Kingdom kills you and gets their enemy Kingdom's Currency, then they have to trade that currency to some third party to get something they can use (i.e. universal coin or trading a player the Enemy Kingdom Coin for Their Local Kingdom Coin)

Also, imagine the opportunity for intrigue. Kingdom A hires Person A to Attack Kingdom B. Part of the contract is that Person A must ONLY have currency from Kingdom C on their body. They are also paid to 'take a dive' after causing havoc against Kingdom B. When Kingdom B eventually kills Person A, they find Kingdom C's currency on the body, deducing that Kingdom C, not Kingdom A, was the one who hired him/sent him/he-was-based out of.
Yrme
Counterfeiting could be a useful skill. Of course, it carries a death penalty, and no one wants to be passed counterfeit coin.

The auction house and bank clearly wouldn't convert counterfeit to Abadar credit.

There could be the ability to try to pass counterfeit coin in trades - perhaps using Bluff vs. Perception. Failure would flag the character as Heinous and lower his reputatation. To prevent people from using a string of alts to hide their counterfeiting, the check should be made at each trade, even between alts. After the trade, a character would see two stacks of coin and would know which was counterfeit (so they can make the choice to use it or destroy it), but the counterfeiter would only be flagged if the Bluff/Perception check fails.

Edit to add: clearly, such a system would result in everyone only trading through the auction house or bartering, rendering the counterfeit system moot - not worthy of programming time.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Gog
Ryan has written several times about the problem of " 'wouldn't it be cool if X' means 'nobody does the thing that enables X' ".

Ryan Dancey
"Wouldn't it be cool if you could steal purses?" means "nobody will wear purses, so nobody can steal them".

It's the condition in an MMO where the potential to do a thing means that everyone will cease enabling that thing to be doable. If a negative outcome can be avoided it will be avoided.

It's one of the places where human emotion overrides logic in game design, to the detriment of the game design. Observed behavior of large numbers of players reveals that they will illogically avoid pain disproportionate to the loss in a gaming system.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Midnight
Just to address a bit of Yrme's post…

[stealth edit: hmm either he edited, or I misunderstood the particulars on my first reading, still…]

I'm going to be against any account-wide rep mechanic, unless we're told far ahead of time (with enough warning to increase rep to max on any current characters) that deleting a character will spread it's rep to the remaining ones. I want to treat EACH of my characters as individuals, and only steps aimed solely at battling throwaways-for-crime are palatable to me. If I want a bad boy or criminal character, it shouldn't reflect on my entire account, as long as I'm not deleting it to start over fresh.

I'd make a similar objection to any account-wide alignment mechanic.

Besides, it doesn't battle multiple account shenanigans of the same sort.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Nihimon
Midnight
I'm going to be against any account-wide rep mechanic…

+eleventy-bazillion
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Decius
Ortallus
Nihimon
Midnight

+eleventy-bazillion

Same. This would be especially harmful to people with DT accounts.
Ditto. There's no reason that any player should gain a specific numeric benefit for having their characters on different accounts.
Kitsune
Decius
Ortallus
Nihimon
Midnight

+eleventy-bazillion

Same. This would be especially harmful to people with DT accounts.
Ditto. There's no reason that any player should gain a specific numeric benefit for having their characters on different accounts.
*Kitsune crafts one more Nested Post of Agreement +1*

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post