Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dev Blog: Territorial Conflict Roadmap

Brighthaven Leader
93,877 is the population of what Lisa mentioned, there are a couple thousand unique accounts at the least playing. I think 1:1 Ratio is fine for PC vs NPC.

Thornkeep has 3 hexes for 630 people, its just more sprawled out than normal. If you consider Holdings and outposts into consideration, 500 people will be living in 17 Hexes. Those outposts represent farms, mines, quarries, hunting lodges, fisheries, and so on, while holdings represent places of business, shrines, housing. The way I see it is that a Holding/Outposts are akin to a beginning hamlet that is an extension of a nearby settlement. In fact, Thornkeep will be much more consolidated than we will, when we start having to have 4-5 holdings for our settlements.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Wylder
500 people will be living in 17 Hexes.

Sounds like holdings and outposts cover it then.
Kitsune
Regarding influence, I agree with some of the later ideas in the thread to this point.
- If a player leaves a company, the company and it's settlement should immediately lose the corresponding influence from that character.
- If a player joins a new company, there should be no immediate gain of influence (to prevent potential exploitish behaviors). At minimum, next-day.
- I somewhat agree that the influence should take a small number of days to be gained from the new player joining a company.
- I absolutely believe that the new company should, at some point (next-day or not), get all of the influence that the player can possibly give that company (subject to primary/secondary/tertiary limitations).

What I'm particularly trying to say is: no amount of a player's influence should ever be "lost" permanently. If a company recruits a player, it should receive the benefits of all of that player's achievements - whether next-day, or shortly down the road from joining.

Edit: I'm not sure if that was covered (re: no loss), but I just wanted to throw my two cents in there.
Gog
On the contrary side, if a player brings all of his influence with him when he leaves, then companies have zero benefit to leveling up newbies rather than just recruiting vets, which I understood to be part of the design intent of this system.

When the influence system was first described, I was under the strong impression that companies would gain influence only for achievements that a character earned while he was a member of that company.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Kitsune
Guurzak
On the contrary side, if a player brings all of his influence with him when he leaves, then companies have zero benefit to leveling up newbies rather than just recruiting vets, which I understood to be part of the design intent of this system.

When the influence system was first described, I was under the strong impression that companies would gain influence only for achievements that a character earned while he was a member of that company.

And that's a valid concern, and I originally had the same impression of the system. However, I can see some cases where this would be very bad.

If a player earns achievements in Company A, and then moves to Company B whilst Company A retains some (or all) of the influence that the player earned for them, then Company B should never be granted that same influence that Company A still holds. Else, there would be duplication of influence, essentially, and companies would be player-swapping to get influence all over the place. Oodles of it.

Further, what happens if Company A disbands? Is that influence lost forever? Seems harsh.

Further, what if Company A needs to split into multiple companies because it grew too big? The 2nd company would never get any benefit.

Not to mention: a new player that was trained in a "newbie-help" company would never be as valuable as finding a fresh player that's never been in a company. That seems odd.

So, I propose then:
When a player leaves a company, there is no immediate loss of influence. But as a new company begins to receive influence from that player (edit: by receiving influence, I mean "begins to receive the retroactive influence" ), the old company begins to lose said influence.

How's that sound?
Nihimon
It's starting to seem more reasonable to me that a Company benefits from New Players by gaining Influence and from Veteran Players simply by their in-game actions.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Some of this could be balanced by having influence consumed. If a certain percentage of the influence spent were used up forever, then a related amount of influence could be dropped from a character when it moves, but new influence would always be full.

I bring 250 influence to my small company, and earn another 150 while I am with them, they spend 5000 while I am with them, with 10% of each expenditure consumed for a total of 500 points gone forever from the company. Each time they spend, 10% of my share of the companies total current influence is used up. During my tenure, 87 of my influence have been consumed, so I leave the company with my 400-87=313 influence which I can take to a new company. That's a nice solid block that makes me desirable, but balanced by the fact that I will find it much harder to earn new influence than a new character.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Doc
All the systems you guys are suggesting sound like that will be very complex to code into the system. The concept where influence is a static value much like experience points, which can be calculated based on another value, will be much easier to implement.

I don't see that as a real problem. How likely do you think it will be that companies will be able to convince veterans in a different company already to switch and join them? Sure it will happen anyway from time to time, but in this situation what will the person switching gain? Are you going to bribe them? If they are susceptible to that then they were probably disillusioned with their former company anyway don't you think?

The value in recruiting new players is that you can indoctrinate them (for lack of a better word) and mold them to be sufficiently immune to enticement by other companies. Loyalty can be a powerful thing, and I would think that the sense of loyalty would be much stronger in a person who was brought up from "infancy" within a company.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Doc
All the systems you guys are suggesting sound like that will be very complex to code into the system. The concept where influence is a static value much like experience points, which can be calculated based on another value, will be much easier to implement.
It's nothing but math, and it's not very complex math. The primary difference between some of them is whether it gets constantly calculated on the fly whenever it is needed, or calculated only when it changes, and stored in a database for when it is needed. The only time any math needs to be done in my suggestion is when you generate influence, when you spend influence, or when you change companies. Except for the "when you generate," that will be true of any system.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Decius
Nihimon
It's starting to seem more reasonable to me that a Company benefits from New Players by gaining Influence and from Veteran Players simply by their in-game actions.
That would prevent companies composed of only elite players, wouldn't it?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post