Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dev Blog: Territorial Conflict Roadmap

Lee Hammock
Tyncale
Very cool blog!

A few questions. I was under the impression that Outposts could actually be operated/owned by a different company then the one that has the Holding. Am I remembering that correctly? And if so, is that still in the plans?

I was also wondering about companies that are chartered to a Settlement but do not own/operate a Holding or Outpost. Can their influence be of any good for their settlement? For instance for those crafting/trading companies that do not have any fighting members (that can defend a Holding). As I read it, the DI of a settlement is now mostly dependant on the succesfull operation of several Holdings and Outposts, providing the Settlement with Bulk resources: is there another way to add to the "influence"/DI of a settlement, for instance by sheer membership of a player, even though these members are part of a company that does not own a Holding?

Same question for settlement members that are not even in a company, since I think it is in the plans that this is possible in the future.

Thanks!

Our original plan was to have outposts owned by other companies, but that just looked like it would require way too many companies to control territory (three companies per hex gets pretty ridiculous). We may still have it where people can have other companies run their outposts for them, but we're not looking at requiring it so much as we did previously.

Companies in a settlement by not big on fighting should probably use their Influence to run the hexes closer to the settlement, assuming those are safer and less likely to be taken/need defenders. Those sorts of crafting companies you mention are going to be some of the most efficient at actually running outposts and holdings, so they need to get out there even if they aren't standing guard. We have looked at other things to do with Influence, like buying buffs for your company or other bonuses, but those are for later in development. Also the plan is anyone who is friendly and approved by the owner can sign on to work a outpost, so if you had a crafting group that did not have any holdings they could go work the outposts owned by others.

Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Ortallus
Indeed. Just as party sized companies aren't meant to hold entire settlements to themselves, neither are settlements of any size meant to be the final social group. The Features page speaks at least a fair amount about the Kingdom level of organization, and it is these settlement–> kingdom structures that will provide each other with resources, most likely.

1. I would count on GW being surprised, and perhaps dismayed, that a group of 12 was the threshold for securing a settlement.

2. It says no where what the final social group should be. Yiu can have a group of five players that you share a common play time availability with, and they are the final extent of your social interaction.

3. The same holds true for Kingdoms being the end game of human interactive structure.

Many of the ideas found in the older Dev blogs or posts on the forums was that settlments would have about 500 citizens, as many as 10 companies. That is 16,500 players which was approximately what they thought they would have from the Kickstarter backers.

The problem with that calculation is that it did not account for the fact that the Kickstarter packages were directed too much towards the TT player, who turned out to have little intentions to play the game. If I were only interested in TT and was offered $300 worth of PDFs for $100, along with some figures as well, I'd jump on it too.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Lee Hammock
Just a not on the bulk resource ratings and settlement placement. What the math means is that settlements on terrain borders will be better able to meet all their needs internally, while those deep in a terrain type will be able to do so with lots more trading. They will need a similar number of hexes through most stages of settlement growth(I've done a lot of math in the past week mapping out every major settlements in the game to make sure they came out roughly even), but the advantage the border hexes has is they don't have to rely so much on finding someone to trade with to get what they need. So there are advantages to placement.
Tyncale
Lee Hammock
[
Our original plan was to have outposts owned by other companies, but that just looked like it would require way too many companies to control territory (three companies per hex gets pretty ridiculous). We may still have it where people can have other companies run their outposts for them, but we're not looking at requiring it so much as we did previously.

Companies in a settlement by not big on fighting should probably use their Influence to run the hexes closer to the settlement, assuming those are safer and less likely to be taken/need defenders. Those sorts of crafting companies you mention are going to be some of the most efficient at actually running outposts and holdings, so they need to get out there even if they aren't standing guard. We have looked at other things to do with Influence, like buying buffs for your company or other bonuses, but those are for later in development. Also the plan is anyone who is friendly and approved by the owner can sign on to work a outpost, so if you had a crafting group that did not have any holdings they could go work the outposts owned by others.
Thanks a lot! Would the work I do at an outpost with my group create influence for (or benefit) the company holding the Outpost, and thus helping them (and the Settlement) to maintain that Outpost? That would be great for companies that may not want to operate a Holding/Outpost themselves.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Lee Hammock
Tyncale
Lee Hammock
[

Thanks a lot! Would the work I do at an outpost with my group create influence for (or benefit) the company holding the Outpost, and thus helping them (and the Settlement) to maintain that Outpost? That would be great for companies that may not want to operate a Holding/Outpost themselves.

If you sign on to work an outpost, you increase the Effort there and allow it to produce more bulk resources. So you aren't creating Influence, but you are creating resources your settlement and its holdings will need for upkeep and upgrades.
Tyncale
Lee Hammock
The amount you have to bank with a feud goes up with time, so the longer you keep it running the more Influence you have to devote to it.
This is so real-life like. Hatred exhausts.

And thanks for that last answer on working at an Outpost. As long as I can benefit the settlement I belong to with my activities, I am happy. So that works for me.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Gog
Right now we are debating how Influence moves when people join or leave companies. The two main options currently are it is all associated with your character (meaning if you leave all the points you gained for the company come with you, but that does some weird things with being able to instantly break into two smaller but just as effective companies), or staying with the company (which creates some odd tracking issues, but allows more interesting points mechanics).

I'm concerned that if there's no downside to changing companies on a whim that that will incent various sorts of company-jumping games in order to avoid feuds and other company-reputation consequences. If changing companies means that the influence you contributed is actually gone until you earn more achievements, the temptation to play silly buggers with membership is a lot less. Or perhaps when you join a company you initially contribute no influence but you add 1% a day of your possible contribution until you're fully vested.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Nihimon
Guurzak
* If I leave Company 1 and join Company B, I know that Company 1 loses the influence they had gained from my past achievements. Does Company B gain all of that influence when I join? Or does Company B only gain influence for new achievements gained after I joined them? Or something in between?

Territorial Conflict Roadmap
… if a character leaves a Company they take the Influence their Achievement points gained for the Company with them.

To my understanding, there's an equation that calculates a Company's Total Influence based on the Total Achievement Points of all Members modified by a factor based on Company Size. I believe this means that, when we form new Companies, those Companies will automatically have the Influence for the Achievements we've already completed.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Quijenoth Starkiller
Quick question - not sure if I missed it in all the recent info.

Towers are being removed from neighboring hexes but when Holdings and Outposts go live will neither, either, or both be available in the 6 hexes around a settlement?
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Gog
Lee Hammock
All wilderness hexes will be up for grabs. Maybe not day one, but the plan is for everything that is not an NPC, Monster, Badland, or Settlement hex can have a holding in it. Granted now companies will be limited in how many they can claim by Influence, so I would not expect all the available hexes to be claimed.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post