Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dev Blog: Territorial Conflict Roadmap

Doc
No, it's actually been reported that some players that were already signed on in one settlement already, up and moved to TEO via recruitment. Sure nobody owns them, they can make their own choices, but the fact that the largest settlements continue to actively recruit, and pull people away or dissuade people from joining smaller settlements, is pretty troubling to (I'm guessing) everybody who isn't in the big two.

I don't own a settlement, so I don't really have a dog in this fight.

However, if you don't see a problem with more than half the player population being in two groups, and are unable to see how that can be a self-reinforcing feedback loop, then sure there really isn't much room for a discussion.

Either way, the ballooning populations of TEO and Golgotha is not keeping with the game's original design concepts, and has the potential to grossly disrupt the viability of a game map that is more than just Red vs. Blue. I tend to think that if the big two cared more about the viability of the game as a whole, which they profess to, rather than their own designs on hegemony, then they would tone down the recruiting rhetoric.
markelphoenix
Doc, this would make sense….if the expected population requirements for a settlement to be fully functional weren't as high as they have stated to been.

The focus shouldn't be, "Boohoo, people are joining the organized and powerful groups because they have things to offer." The focus should be, "What can we, the smaller groups, offer that will make us attractive to new players? How can we differentiate ourselves from the other groups in such a way that they desire us and decide to stay with us."

In a game that is focused on growing playerbase, the solution isn't to try to 'stave off', 'slow down', 'artificially limit', or 'handicap' the ones who have been actively recruiting, organizing, and contributing to the game world. The solution is on the other settlements increasing their efforts instead of pouting.
Azure_Zero
I'm with Doc,

The Big two need a halt to recruitment, or apply some freaking breaks.
The Small settlements work hard to get just one person to join, and the Big one comes eat up one or two of their members.

As their are feedback loops in effect and in play Avari (along with any other from the Big two), that you are not accounting for.

A small settlement loses players because of the settlement appearing not as active at they'd like, and weak.
The Big settlements gain players because they are constantly active and are strong.

A New Equation should be put in place where bigger settlements have a bigger upkeep, with the Upkeep being exponential.
Doc
In a game that is focused on growing playerbase, the solution isn't to try to 'stave off', 'slow down', 'artificially limit', or 'handicap' the ones who have been actively recruiting, organizing, and contributing to the game world. The solution is on the other settlements increasing their efforts instead of pouting.

Those mechanics you just mentioned *will* be in the game if GoblinWorks holds to their design concept. I'm not making this stuff up.

I'm not pouting, so give it a rest, I'm pointing out that the biggest groups are benefiting from the lack of population curbing mechanics that Goblin Works hasn't added to the game yet.

PvP'ers were admonished for attacking people in settlements or at banks because the mechanics for Thornguards weren't added yet. It was stipulated that we were taking advantage of the game in its incomplete form.

Adding a soft cap on tower benefits to larger settlements would be keeping completely in line with the *soon to be added* soft caps on settlement growth that will come from the bulk supplies needed to keep a larger settlement fully functioning.
Brighthaven Leader
We are going to continue to recruit, just like we did in Alpha, and we will continue to recruit, because we are no where near what it takes to run a REGULAR SIZE settlement. Doc, I don't know why you guys are complaining, you are doing a wonderful job of recruiting as well, as a matter of fact I think you guys are a top 5 settlement because of your effort.

To us, a small settlement is 120 people, 500 people are a regular settlement, and 1300 people are a large settlement. This are all estimates based on mechanics that have been discussed on the forums, and until they change those mechanics, that is what we are referencing for how many people we will need to run a settlement.

For those complaining, you should really market yourselves different, offer things that Golgotha and Brighthaven don't. Look at Phaeros, for instance, they are recruiting, effectively I might add, exactly the people that they want, because they offer niches within our alliance (like NE alignments, TSV structure, knowledge, arcane based education, as well as a deep love for Roleplay).

@DOC, fair enough, I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think those mechanics would entirely negatively effect our current population. I still don't think we have anywhere near enough the people we need.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Doc
Doc, I don't know why you guys are complaining, you are doing a wonderful job of recruiting as well, as a matter of fact I think you guys are a top a top 5 settlement because of your effort.

I'm only speaking for myself, not for others. And I don't speak for Aragon, I'm a member of AGC, that is all.

I speak out because I'm concerned for the health of the game as a whole, not my own personal desires - regardless of the success of Atheory's monumental efforts to try and keep a 10% growth rate of AGC ongoing. An effort I will point out, essentially has required the both of us to be online in game 12 hours a day, non-stop. Thank god I work from home.
Doc
Hey, I'm a free market guy. That's the same in game and out. I get it that some groups will be more successful than others. But even in the USA we have rules in place to prevent monopolies from developing. Monopolies are bad for free markets, and they are bad for open-map sandbox games - look at EVE as an example.
Tyncale
I hope someone is already chronicling this, talk about "the Big Two" is the stuff that should make it into the annals. We all know that 2 years from now things will have changed ("the Humongous Two?"smile and 5 years from now even more("did you know that in the beginning there were only these "big two"?).

Someone should start the "River Kingdoms Weekly" *now*.

I'd pay for a weekly PDF with pics!
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Avari
Azure_Zero
I'm with Doc,

The Big two need a halt to recruitment, or apply some freaking breaks.

The big two are not the only groups who are on their way to being successful settlements. Phaeros, Stoneroot Glade, Callambea, Keeper's Pass, Ozem's Vigil, Tavernhold, Emerald Lodge, Aragon all fall in that category. Towns like Forgeholm and Cannis Castrum are sticking their noses down grinding their way towards success.

If YOUR settlement is failing and losing recruits it is because YOUR settlement doesn't have the leadership to succeed. Merge, fold or hang in there but please stop the accusations and the red v blue doomsday rhetoric. It is COMPLETELY self serving and has NOTHING to do with the health of the game.
Ryan Dancey
Currently, every new character is beginning play in Marchmont.

If I were interested in recruiting people to my Company/Settlement, I'd have a character posted to Marchmont, active in Hex Chat, and "/w" to new characters (they'll likely go to the Tutorial NPCs where they can be identified) introducing myself, offering to help, and perhaps providing some free gear.

What is the #1 thing most people want to know when they start play? "What do I do?"

What you could do is provide a regular "let's group up and go kill stuff" opportunity for those new players. Protip: If you play a Cleric, and you help keep them alive, they'll probably have more fun!

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post