Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Gaining Reputation

Gog
I believe AOE splash victims are not supposed to trigger rep loss, only the specified target. If that's the case, though, there's a potential exploit where you work with someone who is mechanically hostile to you so you can target him without penalty, and then have him run into a crowd of victims and play lightning rod.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Being
I recall being advised maybe a year or more ago that friendly fire consequences included splash damage. We have to be responsible for our power.
Lo, the mighty Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground!
Decius
I think that currently AoE effects don't trigger rep loss when they hit party members.
Nihimon
Guurzak
I believe AOE splash victims are not supposed to trigger rep loss…

I believe that's only applicable if the untargeted victims are in your group; if they're not in your group, you can lose Rep.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Sluce
Ryan Dancey
The implication of being able to grind for rep is that we put a carrot in front of people who want to do bad things with less consequences. Long rep recovery is a way of dissuading bad behavior.

Which is a relative and big concern. Still added other ways to gain rep can work on the flip side, maybe instead of rescuing the prisoners of the Bonedancer Ogres you could kill and loot their corpses given you negative rep. This could add other ways to complete quests and a roleplay factor.

But in all reality I was only suggesting small reputation increases by maybe 5-10 points which in the grand scheme of things isn't very much. I do like how blatantly killing people in the open world really does cripple you (state changes were very good for being red), which is a good way if taxing people who want to gank people in the open world.
Kitsune
Sluce
Ryan Dancey
The implication of being able to grind for rep is that we put a carrot in front of people who want to do bad things with less consequences. Long rep recovery is a way of dissuading bad behavior.

Which is a relative and big concern. Still added other ways to gain rep can work on the flip side, maybe instead of rescuing the prisoners of the Bonedancer Ogres you could kill and loot their corpses given you negative rep. This could add other ways to complete quests and a roleplay factor.

But in all reality I was only suggesting small reputation increases by maybe 5-10 points which in the grand scheme of things isn't very much. I do like how blatantly killing people in the open world really does cripple you (state changes were very good for being red), which is a good way if taxing people who want to gank people in the open world.

I'm torn between the two ideas (allowing a player to "grind" back their reputation, versus only time fixing their rep). I can see how malicious players might play a "game" of player-killing innocents and then just grinding their way back to normal (essentially making it as if the PK had never happened).

One thing I would like to see is a lower penalty for first-time offenses, and steep penalties for those who do "bad stuff" (rep-lowering actions) often. Say, for example, you accidentally attack someone during combat a few times, but you otherwise had a decent reputation. The offender should get a slap on the wrist, coupled with maybe dropping them into the negative on the reputation scale. Also, he should receive some sort of warning about what just happened (e.g. system message telling him he is now negative rep, or something similar). But if that same person where to do it again while his reputation was already negative, he should be slapped with a massive penalty, dropping him deep into negative.

I'm saying that the penalties for bad stuff should be relative to the frequency in which you do the bad stuff.

And about being crippled, keep in mind that there may be settlements in which you can go hang out in while having a bad rep. Now, these will likely be low-quality, wretched hives of scum and villainy, but they will be hives nonetheless. smile
TheGoodfellow
So what I am hearing is that in the current state, until any form of non-rep costing PVP is implemented, (like feuds and WoT) there is no PVP. Ok, now that I know that, I will just focus on figuring out how this crafting system works.
Valkenr
You can PvP especially now, because once you do all your training, everything is up to 4th or higher and not much requires you to go back to town, just don't PvP in a town respawn radius or you may have trouble getting out.

Though PvP doesn't really get you anything, I'd refrain from attacking random people, as they are probably gathering for crafting, and it is completely counterproductive at the moment.
Ryan Dancey
You'd be foolish to assume there will be no PvP in Early Enrollment.
Sluce
Again, I am not proposing adding a small 5 to 10 point rep bonus to every single escalation quest. In the current scheme of things if you have -6k rep there is no amount of work that you are going to do to increase your rep over a two day period. I am just proposing other ways to reward players for doing good deeds in game. currently escalations really have no reward I don't feel like I have accomplished anything at all by completing the escalation.

I don't know why people are thinking that there is a dilemma in the whole rep situation, I feel that you could conjoin both systems to work in interesting ways. Maybe, evil characters get a debuff that decreases all rep gain. While players who remain in the the 2.5k+ reputation area get special benefits.

I want to feel like I am getting acknowledged for being good, to not only player characters, but npcs. I think that adding certain choices about how someone can complete a escalation, whether it be good or bad, could add some interest to escalations and brighten them up. But if you are bad you have to pay the consequences even though you may get a bigger material reward from looting dead bodies.

I am not trying to force this idea down anyone's throat. I just want people to understand that I am not offering a dilemma for the rep system. This idea can be tweaked and prodded to something feasible, and I am just putting the idea out there so that way it can be food for thought. And can maybe shed a new light on how we look at getting rep and the interactions between players and npcs, not only during escalations, but throughout the game. Sure you could help bless graves in an undead hex but who wouldn't love to help increase the rate of undead spawns in hex by a enemy settlement (but of course with reputation penalties) ;D

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post