Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Gaining Reputation

Nihimon
@Sluce, the current design already does this to an extent: the longer you go without losing Reputation, the more quickly you regain Reputation.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Valkenr
Getting very low rep should be very hard to get out of, and very time based.

Right now there are problems because everything isn't in, but the end product has avenues for PvP.

You will be able to:
-Fight people of hostile factions
-Your company can spend influence to start feuds
-Your settlement can spend DI to start wars

Doing anything outside of that should tank your reputation fast, and take a long time to get out, and you shouldn't be able to speed it up. The only way to remove it should be able to log in and actively play with the consequences.
Kitsune
I think that we might be forgetting that, once things are fully implemented, there will be other rewards for killing other players (e.g. corpse looting being the best example). In addition, there will be other rewards for completing escalation cycle quests, and other quests for that matter (e.g. reputation gains, good-vs-evil, chaos-vs-law, and of course, spoils).

When the above is taken into consideration, I think we can agree that:
- PvP will most certainly be "a thing"
- Low reputation will be meaningful and possibly worthwhile
- Spending that extra time doing "nothing" while waiting for your reputation to recover could easily be spent doing things rather meaningful and beneficial, while still putting a hard cap on how fast you can recover from being a player-killer.

But again, I want to stress my earlier point: "first-time offenders" (e.g. people with normal or higher reputation) should not be penalized quite as badly as those who already have a slightly negative reputation - that is, in regards to attacking a player.
TheGoodfellow
I understand that there will be ways to PVP rep free in EE and OE, and I know there will be harsh consequences for those choosing to PVP outside of those means. The issue I have is currently, in alpha, there is no way to test the pvp combat without gimping the character beyond repair within our limited weekly playtime. Maybe once alpha opens more, like every day for a few hours or something it can be manageable, but currently some of us are busy during the weekends and therefore can't be "active enough" to "work off" our rep loss from PVP.

In EE, I 100% would support a system similar to how things are now, as it makes RPK and random attacks very costly. We are not in EE yet and the system (meaning PVP combat and balance involved) can not be tested without using throw away characters, which defeats the purpose of learning builds, seeing what works and what doesn't, and getting higher lvl skills and gear to use in pvp.

I hope that explains my view on this a little better.
Valkenr
And right now there is no reason you can't just remake your character, so it doesn't really matter what happens to your rep. And as I said earlier, there is really no reason to pick up more training after you spend what they are giving you.

Write down your builds, and it will be easier to recreate.
Nihimon
Actually, I found that recreating Nihimon a few times has helped me get a much better handle on the entire build process. The incarnation I was playing during the most recent Adventure Time with Bonny had been recreated earlier that night; in fact, I had just barely gotten back to Sotterhill after finishing up my training in Osterburg when it was time to head out.

Since you have access to three characters, I would think it would be easy to have one dedicated to PvP that you just didn't bother to train again unless you wanted to rebuild. That will still leave you with two others to use to check out Crafting or maybe another Role.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Brighthaven Leader
So, I like a couple others am split between allowing people to grind back their Rep and not. Ryan seems to be pretty much against this, understandably with his arguments.

I would propose a new system be implemented in conjunction with Reputation. This system will help a few underlying things we talked about in this thread, as well as help new people joining the game. One of the other issues talked about is how are we going to get new players if to enter town they need 2500 reputation?

Here is my suggestion:

Allow for certain things in game to give you reputation increases, maybe through escalations, a volunteer mechanic at your local Settlement buildings Temple/Church/Barracks/Keep/Whatever (takes up same que as crafting/outpost), donations to charitable organizations/factions, complete contracts on time….whatever realistically would increase your reputation within a community.

Now where this differentiates from above posts is that there is a set limit, per day/week/month, to how much Reputation that you can regain, and you have to sacrifice resources and time to get said increases. Now, let us take it a step further and key the limit based on your current reputation regen rate. This allows you to gain smaller amounts when you are at -5000, while gaining even more when you are at +5000. You can go a step further and key those acts into Alignment system allowing people to gain points towards what their true alignment will be.

So, lets say you can gain a base of 20 reputation each day, this will be keyed to gaining 1 reputation per per cycle, and as it stands every four hours you gain a .25 increase until it maxes out at 10 rep/cycle. At midnight server time it checks to see what your current rep/cycle gain is and either decreases/increase how much reputation you can gain that day.

Add .5 to the max for every .25 bonus up beyond 1, and decrease the total by 5 for every .25 penalty below 1. So if you are really low you can only make back 5 reputation per day, if you are really good you could be making 38 reputation per day.

What do you all think? Fair compromise? I realize that you are currently adjusting everything, so these same ratios could be adjusted to fit whatever you do.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
TheGoodfellow
I would be good with something like this. I like "carrots" that promote people doing activities that are desired, and this is one I can see making these actions desirable. I sometimes get bogged down in these threads (here and paizo) as there seams to be so much "stick" and not much "carrot." If it is gaming the system some people are concerned about, ANY SYSTEM can be gamed, given the proper amount of research and desire. Such as this only gain rep by "active logged in time" can be gamed (by accident) like how bludd did, where his game crashed, his character remained logged in and constantly killed by the guards, so he was just gaining rep as the system saw him as active.

The point is, IMHO, if the system will be gamed and will be min/maxed, then why not put in pieces that reward doing activities that are desired?

My previous posts are from a standpoint of alpha only, not EE and beyond, but this post addresses further out into EE and such. Mainly because (for what ever reason) I didn't consider the rebuilding of a character to be beneficial and informative. I will reconsider it in this next build. Though, while training is not the only issue with low rep, you can't craft either and I have found that higher ranked skills aren't much more effective with starter equipment. You need the gear as well. (not that I know first hand as I still have yet to craft a single item. It seams very confusing to me but I will spend this coming weekend mostly doing crafting.)
Gog
Cheatle for TEO
Now, let us take it a step further and key the limit based on your current reputation regen rate. This allows you to gain smaller amounts when you are at -5000, while gaining even more when you are at +5000.

Unless the mechanics have changed from the last time reputation was officially described, this is an important mischaracterization. Your rep gain rate is not a function of how high your reputation is, it's a function of how long it's been since you last lost rep. A 6000-rep paladin who preemptively smites a CE murderhobo will lose very little rep but will lose ALL of his rep gain bonus.

This means that it's no easier or harder to maintain a high rep than a low one, assuming equal amounts of reploss activity. If you're able to regen enough rep in a week to permit one unflagged assault and maintain the same average rep, then that's true whether you're maintaining at 7500 or 0 or -7500.

I don't like that. I think that if two people are engaged in the same behavior pattern over time they should end up with matching reputations, regardless of where they each started.

One way to do this would be to make your rep gain rate a bell curve function of your current rate. You'd gain rep fastest when your current rep is zero, with your rate of gain decreasing as your current rep becomes either very low or very high. This would make it hard to dig out of a deep hole, and also hard to reach the very highest rep ratings, while not penalizing people too much for a few slips if their net rep doesn't dip too low. This would also have the effect of accelerating rep gain for new characters, assuming they're not doing anything which would counteract that.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Brighthaven Leader
https://goblinworks.com/blog/alignment-and-reputation/

"Reputation ranges from -7,500 to 7,500, with starting characters having a Reputation of 1,000. For each hour of play time during which the character does not lose Reputation, he gains Reputation. The exact amount of Reputation is likely to change multiple times in testing, but currently we're shooting for 1 Reputation per hour (minus .25 Reputation for every 2500 points below 0). So a character with -5000 Reputation would only get .5 Reputation per hour during which he did not lose Reputation. This means it can be pretty hard to dig yourself out of a Reputation hole. Every four straight hours the character earns Reputation, the amount earned increases slightly (currently by .25), up to a limit of something like 10 points per hour. So if a character behaves for four hours, he'll start earning 1.25 Reputation per hour instead of 1."

I didn't really misrepresent it, maybe the +5000 getting more….

The lower your score the lower your rep bonus per cycle actually is. If your rep is higher and you screw up, it just drops to 1, unless you dip really really low.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post