Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Live Server Release of 4.1

Jazc
Thanks @Deisum and @Guurzak.

Guurzak's post was kinda what I was after, matching deities to alignment to weapons and their new divine attacks (along with Abadar and his xbow.)

Theorycrafting… can we hope for Erastil anytime soon? ;-)

Thanks again folks,

- Jasc
deisum
Ravenlute
We only had a short time to play around with this but I wanted to point something out. When my party killed a Goblin Warchief boss at the end of an escalation, some but not all of the party members recieved Rogue maneuvers.

Should everyone in the party have gotten one or only the people who landed an attack on the boss before it died?

I'm guessing the loot tables were adjusted rather than guaranteed drops added, so it would make sense that some folks would get them, but not all.
Bob
The Boss loot drops are supposed to guarantee 1 expendable for the player delivering the killing blow and all of that player's party members who are within the standard visibility distance of that player. It's possible that if you're doing a bunch of flanking and kiting, that some members of the party could be just far enough away from the party member who delivers the killing blow to not get included in the loot.
Azure_Zero
We were all within say 40ft of each other.
Bob
Were you by any chance near a hex border?
Tink says Stab
Well, if nothing else, this rollback has made me appreciate just how much the game develops every iteration. I just want my group achievements and useful expendables back.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Ryan Dancey
One thing to remember is that where you think you are is not where the server thinks you are.

The client & the server maintain independent information on the position of objects, including your character. At intervals those positions are synchronized. In between those synchronizations, the position on the client and the position on the server will be different.

So it is possible that at the moment that the killing blow was landed, and the server determined who was eligible to get the drop, a character looked close enough to the player but was too far away on the server.

This discrepancy happens because the more often the synchronization is done the more overhead is imposed on the client/server network. The more often the synchronization happens the less discrepancies there are between client positions and server positions (this is why, for example, FPS games can only support about 32 simultaneous players). We are supporting more than 100 characters in the same game space and the tradeoff is that we accept more synchronization issues.
Giorgio
Ryan Dancey
This discrepancy happens because the more often the synchronization is done the more overhead is imposed on the client/server network. The more often the synchronization happens the less discrepancies there are between client positions and server positions (this is why, for example, FPS games can only support about 32 simultaneous players). We are supporting more than 100 characters in the same game space and the tradeoff is that we accept more synchronization issues.

Ryan, for those of us not fully understanding of the above technology, is this synchronization something that can be improved with better/more hardware, better optimized developer/network code, advancedment in Unity system, a combination of the previous items and/or something else? It's been a while since you posted of of your mini-blogs on this issue. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Ryan Dancey
Client/server overhead is the ultimate limiting factor on how many objects can be put into a given scene and sychronized at a reasonable rate.

The formula is N^2 (where N is the number of objects that need to be synchronized). It's exponential.

10 objects require 100 synchronizations. 100 objects require 10,000. If it takes .001 second to synchronize once, the overhead required goes from .01 second to 10 seconds when you go from 10 objects to 100 objects.

For any given network speed there is some number, N, and some time per synchronization, that implies a total time to synchronize which is unacceptable. Since the time increases exponentially, if there is not an exponential increase in network speed all client/server systems will eventually hit the point where the situation becomes unacceptable.

Every system eventually reaches those values as the number of objects increases. MMOs have to operate on much longer "heartbeats" than FPS games in order to enable larger populations per scene. We are unlikely to shorten the "heartbeat", but we are likely to get better at estimating where a character is likely to be so that the difference between the server and client is reduced (somewhat).

markelphoenix
Thus the reason why Eve introduced 'time dilation' for massive fleet battles. Makes sense it being an issue of having to slow down the frequency of updates to account for the massive quantity of players. One thing we study in Computer Science is efficiency measures, with exponential being the biggest headache. Algorithm efficiency is a fascinating subject! Read up on it if you all are into that sort of stuff.

ANY ETA on when 4.x will be back up?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post