Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Lost Feat

Ryan Dancey
I'm not being condescending or dismissive. I'm dead serious: Hard is fun. Part of what makes this game fun is that it is hard. Part of why it is hard is that you have to work with other people. You have to make meaningful choices. Some of those choices are who you choose to associate with and how you choose to interact with them.

There's a hundred games where you can solo your way to the level cap then run raids with randoms. This is not one of those games. This is the one game in a hundred where your social connections are your character power. It's integral to the design and it won't be changed.

And I think that's fun.
Thod-Theodum
Ryan Dancey
@VonGonda: Hard is fun.

@Ryan
Such remarks are not fun (for me). I just had to calm down one of my members who threatened to leave the game explaining how it will all work out long term. I try to explain and evangelise - remarks like that just shoot down all such efforts.

There are customers who have a real concern. A lot might be because they don't know the intricacies of what is planned.

Oh - and if hard is fun why did you do a roll back. I have members in our alliance who liked 4.1 - Hard was fun for them.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Thod-Theodum
Ryan Dancey
I'm not being condescending or dismissive.

@Ryan
It doesn't matter if you are or are not condenscending - it feels condescending for a lot of people reading this board.

I do understand where you are coming from and even agre - but quite a few other players don't understand and misinterpret it. So please make it easier and not harder to convince them that this is a great game.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Smendor
I could support gear detrition. That makes logical sense, and has the same effect of reducing the character power level, but with enough economic preparation a person can overcome the issue. Say one point a day if used. Nice smooth clean and understandable. You no longer have the power to maintain your gear. I also control the reduction by login into the game.

We all know life gets in the way. Lets say I have a 2 week vacation set to take place 6 months in advance. On the day I am set to leave O wait my pathfinder Online city crashed well there went that grace period.

I also think some skill should never be lost such as encumbrance bonus, knowledge skills, and gathering skills.

You may also want to allow each play to buy support from a town. So their gear will stop reducing. O look there a good reason to spend money, and it also add a tear of protection. Just do not sell them the support if they think they will go rogue and kill everyone.
leigh
The concept of tying training to settlements and tower control is very interesting. It is also adding depth and complexity to the game world. From reading the conversation on this thread I can see how this mechanism will build ownership into the game. This could be a very valuable tool because players would need to "care" and actively become a part of the community in which they would belong.
Players would need to think carefully about who they associate with and where they choose to make their home.

Could this aspect of the game counteract the persistent xp gain system? This seems to have been enacted to help the weekend warriors and casual gamers while the training/settlement/towers does not.

Anyways, this mechanism seems to make settlements actually work or function for more than a meeting place or bank dumping stations. it makes them seem 3D instead of 2D. Players now have a way to effect them and change them and well change the world in which they game.

I am an old Ultima Online guy and i think that having the ability to change the structures of the game environment is pretty cool at least in theory. However, we should be very careful to not gimp peoples characters and thereby gimp their enjoyment.
Smendor
Hi Thod this is Smendor's forum name. I will change it again if I stay with the game.

I am happy with hard. Hard is something that can be overcome with harder work. Inverting gravity is not something you can fight with hard work. It is the end.

I would even be happy with 100% pura death. That is what I have done in the past with persistence never winter nights game world. NOW 100% pura death is hard.

Taking all of my skills while I was on vacation is not hard that is broken.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
VonGonda
Taking all of my skills while I was on vacation is not hard that is broken.
They haven't been taken, only limited for a time. Maybe think of it as a level drain from being hit by the Tower Vampire, and the only way to restore the missing level is for your settlement to take more towers.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Smendor
Yes! I have been thinking about this game concepts. Due to the fact it has no persistent nature aka long term effect.

@VonGonda: Hard is fun.

Your comment is invalid. Reducing skills on the short term is neither hard or easy it is irrelevant. A person could move from town to town in sequence and really have no real down time. You would need to cancel the xp completely to really stimulate long term change. There is no pain, misery, or long term lose.

yes there is a small lose of real word money, but even that is so small it is pointless.

One account at 15$ US a month for 5 years. 900 $
Lets say it take 6 months to find a new town that can support 5 years of XP that you like. The current 12 month bond rate is 0.21%. The game concept has a real world cost of less than 1$ for the 6 months of no town.
Thod-Theodum
@VonGonda
I thought it might be you.
I have to agree with Caldeathe - it isn't gone and it depends on how difficult it is to get it back / how long it takes if it is broken or a good feature. As TT gamer I like to compare it to the level drain when you die and get resurrected. Maybe not a good comparison as you tend to get restoration easily. Also so far everyone in good standing shouldn't have problems to find a new home. I've seen Caldeathe being courted by a lot of settlements - EL included- when he left Ozem's Vigil because of of the Guardheim incident.
But maybe I'm just the eternal optimist and don't see the problems.
Giorgio
VonGonda
No, I will lose all of my skill if this is by design aka I will not be playing any longer because it is a an asinine concept.

Why the hostility to a key game concept you clearly don't understand the reason for? Have you read the blogs, participated in the conversations, or spoken to people who understand the reasons behind this concept? There is more than meets the eye on this concept, and why the devs have chosen this. If you want to know why this game is using this system, me and a lot of other players, will be happy to point you in the right direction. If you don't care and in learning and just want to complain; then carry on; your disdain for the GW team and the PFO game has been quite evident in your last few postings….
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post