Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Lost Feat

deisum
I fairly certain the motivations for the support mechanic have far more to do with encouraging (forcing) engagement with player settlements than preventing unwanted PvP. There's an entirely different mechanic devoted to shaping PvP (and more to come). Knowing Ryan's familiarity with EVE, I'm sure he recognizes the huge wasted potential that is player-controlled-space there because the vast majority of that population interacts mostly with NPCs. The current solution for PFO is to hard-cap any and all character advancement without moving settlements. To me, that feels heavy-handed. I think a better solution is to make player settlements far more attractive than NPC settlements, mostly by severely limiting what NPC settlements offer. Let players have agency in their decision to move.

If NPC settlement don't offer any options for tier 2 related anything, have a market limited to tier 1, have a progressively worse tax rate & fees as you unlock class levels, and have substantially slower crafting facilities, players will be eager to move somewhere better. And if player settlement have the ability to set different costs & availability for facilities based on player affiliation (all of which is on the roadmap, IIRC), I think players, once they learn the game and understand the limitations of NPC settlements, will be eager to move.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Nihimon
However, I think it's important to remember that a lot of people will come to PFO…..

Please let me know when this happens. The Goodfellow and I just passed through about 20 hexes, through 5 settlements and we did not encounter more than 3 players until we got to Keepers Pass. Of those 3 players 2 were in Hammerfall, and one was outside of Aragon, when we left it.

This trip took place during prime time Eastern Standard Time.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Nihimon
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon (aka Bluddwolf)
Please let me know when this happens.

Email? Facebook? Or will you still be around to see a post here on the forums?
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Edam
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Nihimon
However, I think it's important to remember that a lot of people will come to PFO…..

Please let me know when this happens. The Goodfellow and I just passed through about 20 hexes, through 5 settlements and we did not encounter more than 3 players until we got to Keepers Pass. Of those 3 players 2 were in Hammerfall, and one was outside of Aragon, when we left it.

This trip took place during prime time Eastern Standard Time.

Keepers Pass on the other hand may well be one of the busiest hexes in the game on occasion. Especially if a couple of raiding/gathering parties come in at the same time.
Gog
deisum
I fairly certain the motivations for the support mechanic have far more to do with encouraging (forcing) engagement with player settlements than preventing unwanted PvP.

We've been explicitly told that the design intention behind the support mechanic is to preserve the "character power = social relationships" mechanic. For example, with the support model, it is not possible to train your character to a level you think is "enough" and then permatank your rep.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Zacusa
Ryan Dancey
@VonGonda: Hard is fun.
Herding Cats is probably hard, however I would not consider it "Fun"
Melien
So now the game robs you too?

Someone spends a lot of time and money playing PFO, waiting essentially months to have the Xp to buy up various feats only to be SCREWED out of his efforts, the time and money he spent to achieve it.

Great business Model.

This will ultimately lead to one kingdom for all, because all players will eventually tire of not having access to the skills they've trained (over years). Which will force Goblinworks to revoke a bad game decision they should never have made in the first place.

GW should save themselves this headache.

But I give them credit for taking the Advice of my friend "Ed" to heart.
"If you're going to shoot yourself in the balls, be sure you hit both of them."
Krisusmc
I Don't know if anyone is going to see this but Unbreakable feat is broken againsmile
"living La Vida Dorka"
deisum
Melien: I'm pretty confident any system won't cause huge, lasting, detrimental effects, because that would kill the game. GoblinWorks may be aggressive in some of their tactics, but they're not morons. The system as currently designed isn't great, but isn't going to horribly gimp your character at this point in the game, either. Engaging with the game, now, actually gives you a voice in shaping the final system. In fact, I'd bet a fair bit the devs have read much of this thread, are well aware of the complaints raised here, and are at least pondering other options.

Code isn't written in stone. The game is far from finished. GoblinWorks actively solicits player feedback and definitely wants the game to succeed. Dismissing the game you are otherwise interested in outright because of one mechanic is doing yourself a disservice, more than anything else.
Daeglin
deisum
I fairly certain the motivations for the support mechanic have far more to do with encouraging (forcing) engagement with player settlements than preventing unwanted PvP. There's an entirely different mechanic devoted to shaping PvP (and more to come)…

Tying character power to their social connections/community is very much a core plank in management of the planned pvp system.
Good… Bad… I'm the guy with the bow.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post