Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Frustrated Newbie

ruhar
I have never played an online game so this is all new to me. I understand it's a sandbox but I am frustrated by what I consider basic features that I expect to be available and working. These are features that I feel should have been put in place and not a sandbox option to see what players think about it.

Tonight I attempted once again to get around and finish a quest to get a feat. After getting frustrated and not being able to figure out why I couldn't finish the feat tutorial to get Toughness I went to the Help chat. I was told that it wasn't the tutorial trainer at the campfire but the one in the fighter school. I go there and can't finish it. Eventually someone tells me to check my feats and after fumbling I selected the first option on the list of classes and found it. I was told that I already had the feat but the person couldn't explain why it was still on the quest list. I asked if clicking on the dash inside the circle to the right of the quest would get rid of it. The person said he didn't know because he doesn't use the quests then said to try it and see. I don't know if when I try it and it disappears means its deleted or something else and he's not going to know since he doesn't use the quests. By that point I was frustrated and quit the game, again.

Other problems I encountered includes
    transparent backgrounds on popup windows that popup ON TOP of a transparent background popup window that is on top of the game background. Do you think we can read the text of the top transparent popup window with text under it showing through and the game background through that?

Trying to move a popup window causes the camera view to move as well.

Not being able to scroll a popup window so you have to click and drag a button which causes the the camera view to move.

Dark colored fonts on a dark background and light colored fonts on a light colored background. You can't see the text well enough to read it and it's a BASIC design rule.

Font sizes too small to read.

I don't know if this is typical of online games, sandbox games, or my expectations based on PC games are too high, but I am very frustrated. If I was testing this game to possibly purchase instead of being a Kickstarter supporter I would not buy the game and I'm disappointed that I feel that way because I have been looking forward to this game for a long time.
Edam
Generally if a feat requests you buy something you alreasy have you can just buy any other feat and it counts. I am pretty sure one of the tutorial trainers actually says that but only in passing and it could easily be misssed.

The best way around early training difficulties is join an active settlement and ask for help. The starter settlements are full of other new players who are not necessarily the best to ask for advice and is also haunted by frustrated pvP types.

The UI problems are basically because it is not actually an online game yet, it is a beta in development you can get early entry to. Unfortunately if you want a perfected game similar to a released product it will not happen soon, you really have two choices post on the crowd forge threads trying to convince the devs to make UI issues a higher priority, or simply wait till OE to play when the game will be feature complete.
Doc
The best way around early training difficulties is join an active settlement and ask for help. The starter settlements are full of other new players who are not necessarily the best to ask for advice and is

There is one starting settlement now, right?, and it is populated by active experienced players all day, I can assure you. People shouldn't have to run 30 minutes in game to get help, and they don't. There are people in Marchmont every day who will answer questions, or guide people around, like myself.

also haunted by frustrated pvP types.

What is your deal?
Caldeathe Baequiannia
also haunted by frustrated pvP types.
What is your deal?
Marketing has always been about exaggeration….
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Giorgio
@ruhar,

The Pathfinder University is there to help, contact them as soon as you can. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Darkrage
Sounds like someone should wait 3 years when the game is actually released…smile
Ryan Dancey
@Ruhar - your are absolutely justified in your list of issues.

We made the decision to prioritize the implementation of game features ahead of User Interface and User Experience (UI/UX) polish. We had to make a series of "either/or" choices, and we opted for functionality over visuals.

What you see today is a game that is about 2 years into what would be a normal 5 year development timeline. It is very unlikely that you would have seen a commercial game product at this stage of development unless you worked in the industry.

We made the decision to start play and begin charging people for our service at this point in the development cycle for two reasons:

1: We are operating under a very severe budget limit and bringing in money through sales & service fees will allow us to continue to work on the game at our current pace. Investment for this type of project is very scarce and we're trying to prove that a really good MMO can be built on a budget the industry believes is impossible. Until we do, our access to capital is extremely limited.

2: If we waited until the game had been more fully developed most of the core systems and mechanics of the game would be so deeply embedded in the project that they would be essentially unchangeable. Player input at that point is mostly useless. Starting play this early in the cycle of development means that when you provide input it has a real potential to dramatically alter the way the game is built. Your feedback will actually matter. We think that for a specific kind of person that potential has value that offsets the fact that the UI/UX still is very primitive.

We are spending 2/3rds of our resources in the first part of 2015 on polish to existing features, and 1/3rd on implementing new features. We believe that this is going to significantly upgrade the UI/UX very quickly and resolve a lot of the challenges that face players in the current state of the game. We won't be as polished as a traditionally developed game but we'll have made significant and meaningful improvement.

I can specifically speak to the issue of readability. I'm closer to 50 than to 40 and I find a lot of stuff in our game hard to read and that is a huge pain point for me. I have several friends who are color blind and they have an even harder time than I do. Working to make the displays of the game more legible is something that I put pressure on the team to consider constantly. The good news is that we will be improving that stuff. The bad news is that those improvements will be incremental, and time consuming. But they are going to happen.

If you have not already done so, I highly recommend that you read the New Player Guide. A link to the Guide is provided in the Patcher. That Guide will give you invaluable information on many of the game's systems and provide some insights on how to set goals and objectives for playing in the sandbox. The second piece of advice that I have is to find a group of people to play the game with. The Settlements are all busy recruiting and they all need new players. There are Settlements of all sizes from less than a dozen to several hundred people, with all sorts of play styles and personalities. Finding a Settlement to join will unlock most of the value in the game, and will provide you with lots of folks interested in helping you understand how to play the game.
Nihimon
Ryan Dancey
We think that for a specific kind of person that potential has value that offsets the fact that the UI/UX still is very primitive.

<– A specific kind of person smile
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Tyncale
I am sometimes that person. Untill I get especially frustrated with a certain piece of clunk, then I am not. And then I go on a happy harvesting trip while my Captains Chain +1 is in the cooker, and then I am again!

It's so difficult sometimes….
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Deianira Sunstorm
Tyncale
I am sometimes that person. Untill I get especially frustrated with a certain piece of clunk, then I am not. And then I go on a happy harvesting trip while my Captains Chain +1 is in the cooker, and then I am again!

It's so difficult sometimes….

Same here.

And, Ryan, thanks for the words on the readability. Being past fifty myself, and with other vision issues than normal aging, it's good to know this affects the staff as well. That way it won't be forgotten! smile
Contact me on Paizo: Deianira

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post