Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Scale Monster Density in Escalations

Yrme
I've long thought that escalations should have an impact on gathering and the operation of Holdings and Outposts. My previous recommendations have been to tie gathering yield directly to escalation strength.

The extremely high monster density in the EE4.1 release suggests a better method: tying yields to escalation strength, but indirectly, not through a programming fiat.

Monster density could vary with the escalation percentage. So an escalation at 10% would have fewer mob clusters than an escalation at 50%, which would have fewer mob clusters than an escalation at 90%. Hexes without escalations present could have a somewhat variable mob density, but might only rarely have a mob density like a low-mid range escalation.

Tying mob density to escalation percentage would give the players a visual cue of the escalation strength. Rather than just telling us that the escalation is at some level, the game could show us that the escalation has advanced with a higher mob density.

The variable mob density would make gathering more difficult in active escalations - maybe even impossible with a very advanced and high level escalation. This would in turn encourage PvE in order to keep resource collection areas safe for gatherers. (The expendable drops from boss mobs encourages PvE only in Monster Hexes; PvE in Wilderness hexes is currently secondary at best. While players could clear orphan escalations now, there's little need. They'll just be replaced by vanilla mobs at the same density.)

The mob density would also effect Holdings and Outposts. An advanced escalation around an Outpost would make it more difficult to collect accumulated bulk resources. Mob density would also isolate Holdings, making them less accessible to players. To efficiently use their Holdings and Outposts, settlements would need to keep the local escalations pacified.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Hoffman
I like this idea and would love to see it happen if possible.

Here is the oddity of the current situation. If I go into an Ogg expansion escalation (one of his 3 hexes he grew into) and it is at 21%, there are a similar amount of Azroc Ogres as there are in his home hex where he is 100%. In his home hex (at 100% currently) I should be barely able to walk without running into an Ogre. Gives people a reason to 'prune' escalations. Right now I can gather just fine in his 100% hex without worrying about more dodging then any other hex.
Pathfinder University Helping new players to enjoy the game.
Daily classes listed at http://classes.pathfinderuniversity.com - all are welcome.
Join Pathfinder University for your first 90 days in game.
Doc
Does escalation percentage presently just determine the types of mobs that spawn in the escalation infected hex? Not the quantity overall?
Yrme
As far as I can see, the escalation percentage determines the type of mobs and the possible quests. The escalation strength is basically the reinforcement pool. The strength and percentage may also determine the chance of a many-mob clusters. It doesn't seem to effect the number of clusters.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Bob
The Escalation Strength determines what Phase the Escalation is in. Each Phase has its own lists for Encounters to spawn, Enemies to populate those Encounters with, and Events to run. In general, as multi-Phase Escalations go to higher Phases, they're set up to launch a higher percentage of larger Encounters, with tougher Enemies, and more challenging Events.
Ulf Stonepate
What's up with the monster density and strength in hexes that have just had their escalations cleared? The crater hex north of Talonguard generally has a low-level escalation, but when it gets cleared, it goes immediately to "Ogre Homeland" status and becomes more dangerous at ground state than it is at 100%. I had thought there was supposed to be a rest period following the successful completion of an escalation?
Bob
Ulf Stonepate
What's up with the monster density and strength in hexes that have just had their escalations cleared? The crater hex north of Talonguard generally has a low-level escalation, but when it gets cleared, it goes immediately to "Ogre Homeland" status and becomes more dangerous at ground state than it is at 100%. I had thought there was supposed to be a rest period following the successful completion of an escalation?

The rest period just returns the hex to its natural state, where it spawns its default encounters. In the mountains and highlands, that means ogres. An oddity of the system is that some of the escalations (particularly the mini-escalations) are actually easier to deal with than the default ogres in those hexes. We'll improve this over time, both as the player population increases/advances (allowing us to make escalations more difficult overall) and as the monster-spawning systems improve (giving us more tools to balance the world properly).
deisum
I also support the idea of monster density = escalation level.

Can the cap on the number of monster spawns be tracked (or be made to track) separately for different phases of monsters (or even by camp type)? If so, there could simply be a percentage defined for how many of each phase (or camp) are desired in the hex in a given escalation (e.g. 45% phase 1, 35% phase 2, 20% phase 3). Then those percentages could be applied to the total number of spawn locations in a hex to determine a maximum cap for each group of spawns at 100% escalation, and then those caps could simply be scaled downward according to escalation strength. Perhaps this would break some of the quests (though, to be quite honest, to me those feel mostly like annoying noise, anyway; at least the part where you have to have X number for your efforts not to backfire), but maybe the could be made not to activate until the relevant caps are high enough.

Hopefully this would enable a very visceral (and more semantically accurate smile) indication of escalation strength while still increasing the difficulty of monsters, overall, along with the escalation strength. Additionally, this would provide low-level characters (& small groups) more relevancy in combating escalation strength. Currently, with a group of 3, any groups with more than one red are impossible (or require lots of kiting), and camps in 100% escalations usually have more than one red.
Bob
Encounter Density is definitely one of the settings I'd like to be able to set for each Phase instead of just for the Escalation as a whole, but it will require some programmer time to get that set up.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post