Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

No respawn points in tower hexes.

Elsworth Sugarfoot
Now that lots of tower hexes are being taken out the respawn point should be taken out as well. This would ensure that people are removed from the fight for at least 1 minute or so instead of popping back up right next to the tower.
Azure_Zero
I did a tower fight before and enjoyed the shrine for the defender being nearby.
I think the defender should have an edge in the tower fight.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
If it doesn't require any programming, or manual changes to the shrine entries in 125 hexes, and more changes to how mobs spawn to keep them away from shrines, it's worth a try, but the existing setup is intended to emulate the planned state of POIs, so putting effort into it would be wasteful.

Presuming it is feasible, I'd suggest a controller shrine half way to the edge, and an invader shrine on the opposite border. Adding in a 30 second respawn delay for dying in an open PvP hex would be even better (although I know there are plans under consideration for a delay that gets longer with each death). More running, still an advantage to the defender.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Doc
I already submitted this idea on Ideascale. I'm pretty sure the gathering only segment will downvote it to oblivion.

https://pathfinderonlinecrowdforging.ideascale.com/a/dtd/No-Respawn-in-Same-Hex-Unless-Home-Settlement/75465-30320
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Because the binding mechanic will render it mostly moot, unless we get some indication that it can be done with almost no work on the devs' part, I'm not prepared to support it, Doc. If they say they can do it without a significant investment of time and energy, I'll support it asap.
Doc
Tough call I suppose. I feel the wonky mechanics are bleeding out interest for PvP though.

For an example, just last night in a skirmish between Golgotha and EBA:

I was respawning at the same shrine as my opponents. Like, literally right next to each other. I suppose there is a sort of unspoken agreement to wait to attack until back in the primary skirmish area, but the whole scenario is just comical. Somehow I doubt the intent was for people to fight right beside respawn shrines, but these kind of indiscriminate respawn rules basically guarantee it to become a thing.
Gog
Yep. The binding mechanic will completely transform the PVP dynamic.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Elsworth Sugarfoot
Doc
Tough call I suppose. I feel the wonky mechanics are bleeding out interest for PvP though.

For an example, just last night in a skirmish between Golgotha and EBA:

I was respawning at the same shrine as my opponents. Like, literally right next to each other. I suppose there is a sort of unspoken agreement to wait to attack until back in the primary skirmish area, but the whole scenario is just comical. Somehow I doubt the intent was for people to fight right beside respawn shrines, but these kind of indiscriminate respawn rules basically guarantee it to become a thing.
Right now players are honoring the other side and not attacking right by shrines. It creates a situation where you respawn next to your enemy and then run back to the battle side by side. It is comical and if not fixed will be abused as more players get involved in fights.

I don't see any reason why defenders should pop out closer to a tower than attackers.

I figured it would be fairly easy to remove the respawn shrines from tower hexes as a temporary fix until threading is in. If I'm wrong about this then I guess we wait until threading is in.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Elsworth Sugarfoot
I don't see any reason why defenders should pop out closer to a tower than attackers.
There is some balancing involved. In the final version of the POI, there will be a small staff that will provide initial resistance and warn you of the attack. right now, there is no such warning or staff, so getting to respawn a little closer is a sop.
Doc
Either way, it seems to me the end result is no meaningful fighting over towers.

Either you bring overwhelming numbers to defeat the defender respawn zerg, and as such no meaningful fight.

Or, you AFK cap when nobody is around, so no meaningful fight.

Or or, you naked circle run around the inside of the tower so the defender cannot target you, and respawn camp the spawn shrine and waylay the defenders, so again no meaningful fight.

Ultimately, any capture gameplay mechanic with respawning in place is going to lead to a difficult time of reaching balance while maintaining fun.

Forcing people to have to fight over the towers is only "half the battle".

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post