Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

EE v5.0 TEST SERVER Release Notes

Brighthaven Leader
I agree with the above, losing Local Chat would be preferred to hex chat.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Edam
Cheatle for TEO
I agree with the above, losing Local Chat would be preferred to hex chat.

+1

in fact local is dangerous in the sense that you can miss conversations directed at you because you are focused on hex.
Ryan Dancey
Hex chat is dangerous. Hex chat is not secure. You should not be using Hex chat for much of anything. We envisioned it as a way for people who were not in the same social context (i.e. not using the same out-of-game communications) to arrange business deals. But it is apparently being used by folks who don't understand why they shouldn't to discuss things like what they are carrying and how they are coordinating their activities for defense.
Tink says Stab
So instead you are making it Global?

I understand that it is a stopgap until we get Settlement chat, it just seems strange to make the change now, and not just wait it out.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Edam
Ryan Dancey
Hex chat is dangerous. Hex chat is not secure. You should not be using Hex chat for much of anything. We envisioned it as a way for people who were not in the same social context (i.e. not using the same out-of-game communications) to arrange business deals. But it is apparently being used by folks who don't understand why they shouldn't to discuss things like what they are carrying and how they are coordinating their activities for defense.

It is currently used as a substitute for settlement/company chat.

You have a lot of TT players. Most of them are not in the habit of putting on a headset and starting mumble/teamspeak the instant they load the game.
KarlBob
Edam
Ryan Dancey

It is currently used as a substitute for settlement/company chat.

You have a lot of TT players. Most of them are not in the habit of putting on a headset and starting mumble/teamspeak the instant they load the game.
They don't have the EVE communications security mindset, either. Heck, I've seen people post some pretty sensitive information on these forums, without realizing how valuable that information was to predators and enemies.
Doc
But it is apparently being used by folks who don't understand why they shouldn't to discuss things like what they are carrying and how they are coordinating their activities for defense.

How the heck are we supposed to talk to anybody that we aren't standing next to?

Could you at least add a "shout" command that will broadcast your chat to everybody who is in your visibility range within your hex?

Things you can't do without hex chat:
- Warn your settlement of a raid.
- Or call for help during a ganking.
- Ask a gank victim to yield so you don't have to kill them.
- Find out if anybody is even in your hex so you can not feel so lonely.
- Shout at a passerby to say Hi or determine their allegiance.
- Call a cease fire to a group of opponents
- etc.

Sure, you could try using the whisper command for people you actually see, but since it doesn't employ auto-complete or auto-guess for names, good luck trying to whisper all of the people in this game that like to use names that read like words out of the Welsh language.
markelphoenix
Ryan Dancey

Ziiiingggg
Brighthaven Leader
Telling people in Hex chat, that don't use voice chat, that enemies are attacking is not using Hex Chat the wrong, its using Hex Chat as a substitute, because we don't have the required tools to talk to the people we need to talk to.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Gog
Ryan Dancey

Any tool can be misused. Hex chat is a useful tool with many productive and valid applications. The proper answer to the problem of ignorant misuse of a good tool is practical education.

People will not learn a security mindset if you take away some of their opportunities to make themselves insecure, to the detriment of everyone else. I don't imagine that it's your intention to make PFO a game which people can successfully play without ever acquiring a security mindset.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post