Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Heavy Blade Proficieny should require Divine Or Martial and Strength Or Wisdom

Smeltbane
Several feats used by clerics have requirements that are a lot harder to meet then other classes. Most people think of the Divine Achievement requirements, but this time I'm talking about requirements for our Armor and Weapon feats.

Right now, both my Heavy Blades Proficiency 2 and Heavy Armor Proficiency 2 require Martial Achievements and the Heavy Blades Proficiency 2 require Strength. Strength is not going to be easy for me to get as most of my feats give Wisdom and the new Two Handed Sword Cleric Attack feats give both Wisdom and Strength, but only HALF as much of each. There aren't enough to get my Strength to the required 11.

I'm honestly not as concerned about the Martial Achievements because I'll be getting them anyway using my Greatsword, but the Strength is going to kill me. It is bad enough I "wasted" as much xp as I did on Greatsword attacks I'm never going to use again now that we have the Clerical ones, but now I'm looking at needing to take more strength feats just to upgrade my clerical feats.
Gog
Heavy Armor proficiency requires strength or wisdom. You can level up a pure wisdom cleric and train Crusader just fine.

With regard to Heavy Blades proficiency, devs have posted that it is intentional for melee clerics to have hybrid stat requirements. If you want to diversify from your focus weapon into melee you're going to need sources of strength. (Replace str with dex throughout this when considering light weapons.)

With that said, there are a couple of ways this could be made easier on the players. Normal melee attacks require 11 Str at rank 4, 14 at rank 5, and 20 at rank 6. Perhaps instead of 11/11, 14/14, and 20/20, the advancement tables for the clerical physical attacks could be changed to 11/10, 14/12, and 20/16, or something along those lines. And/or, if we assume that most or all clerics are going to have adequate wisdom sources elsewhere, the ability bonus for each training rank could be changed to strength only instead of 50/50 str and wis.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Saiph the Fallen
Guurzak
Heavy Armor proficiency requires strength or wisdom. You can level up a pure wisdom cleric and train Crusader just fine.

With regard to Heavy Blades proficiency, devs have posted that it is intentional for melee clerics to have hybrid stat requirements. If you want to diversify from your focus weapon into melee you're going to need sources of strength. (Replace str with dex throughout this when considering light weapons.)

With that said, there are a couple of ways this could be made easier on the players. Normal melee attacks require 11 Str at rank 4, 14 at rank 5, and 20 at rank 6. Perhaps instead of 11/11, 14/14, and 20/20, the advancement tables for the clerical physical attacks could be changed to 11/10, 14/12, and 20/16, or something along those lines. And/or, if we assume that most or all clerics are going to have adequate wisdom sources elsewhere, the ability bonus for each training rank could be changed to strength only instead of 50/50 str and wis.

Hey Guurzak, are you sure on this? I thought Crusader requires both Wisdom and Strength at some point?
Saiph the Fallen
Double post.
Gog
Every armor feat requires a secondary attribute once you get to mid T2, so clerics who need strength at that point are no worse off than the wizards who need dex or the rogues who need pers.

I should more carefully have said that clerics can train Crusader up through 7, including heavy armor prof 2, without needing any secondary attribute, just like anyone else.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post