Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Difference between player gathering skill points and skill level?

Doc
For example, with racial bonus and freeholder armor feat and invested experience, I might have a mining skill of 78.

Meanwhile, my mining level might only be trained to 5.

Start with 10.
+ 10 for dwarf.
+ 8 for armor feat.

I've read that getting level 7 of the gathering skill starts giving you tier 2 stuff.

Is that tied to the numerical value you have for the skill or just the actual level of the skill? What is the difference between these things?
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Your skill level must be 7 to find T2 materials.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Doc
Then what do all the numbers do listed on the character sheet?

What is the difference between "Mining 7" and Mining: 76
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Primarily, the chance that you will get more than 2 items from a node, and the amount of time each harvest action takes. I don't think it's a flat percentage, so the answer might be "not much." It would be nice to think it's like combat, and having a 7 means you get the middle of three rolls, instead of the lower of three….
Doc
Ok, thanks
Caldeathe Baequiannia
And just to clarify, the initial free 10 is never added to anything. It goes away when you take a level. Dwarves are +20 to mining and (I think) forestry.
Doc
I didn't realize that, good to know.
Edam
There was a much more noticeable improvement in mats gathered as you increased your levels in early Alpha with level 6 being much better for T1 mats than level 1 (which was very poor) but it was changed.

I vaguely remember it was sort of crowd forged but cannot recall the exact reasons for the change. Maybe the better trained gatherers were exhausting the hex too fast leaving nothing for the new players ?
Smeltbane
Not sure where you get your information Caldeathe, but no, the Racial Bonus most definitely stacks.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Drake
Not sure where you get your information Caldeathe, but no, the Racial Bonus most definitely stacks.
I believe you are incorrect*. If you can point to a character that has a level one in a skill, and a percentage that is equal to levelx10+RacialBonus+10, I will be surprised. A human with +5% racial bonus in gathering and 2 levels will have 25%, not 35%

I am talking about the automatic 10% that everyone gets in every skill, even if they are not trained. That does not stack with any training or bonuses. An Elf, with a -5% chance in mining will have a 10% chance if they have no mining skill, and only a 15% chance if they take two levels.

*(Edit: not actually incorrect, but rather misunderstanding my statement, as will be come clearer in later messages in this thread)

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post