Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dev Blog: Gods, Factions & Alignments

KarlBob
Another fundamental question: Are alignment-affecting actions only meant to punish us for acting contrary to our core alignments and to flag people who do heinous things? Is returning to your core alignment supposed to happen through a steady, automatic process, like Reputation regeneration? Or will there be voluntary actions that people can take to bolster/exemplify their core alignment, or to accelerate their return to their core alignment after their active alignment drifts away from it?

From old threads on these topics, I recall vague speculation that paladins might have to work to maintain higher than the resting values of Good and Law for a Lawful Good core alignment, in order to use all of their powers (which never seemed fair to me).
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
The faction system will allow players to have a relationship with NPC led groups like the Hellknights, the Pathfinder Society, etc. Characters will be able to earn points with factions by completing events, quests, etc. This will help them earn ranks within the faction, and these ranks offer access to special training, recipes, items, etc. Each faction will have enemy factions that you cannot join while a member of that faction and that you may be flagged as a reputation-free PvP target for members of opposing factions at higher ranks. So if you associate with the Hellknights and become a high ranking member, characters who have associated with the Crusader Knights will not suffer a reputation penalty for killing you in PvP and vice versa.
There are several matrices of factions planned, such as the Aspis Consortium vs. Pathfinder Society or Hellknights vs. Crusader Knights vs. Bandits of Thornkeep. You can join one faction within each of these matrices assuming you meet the requirements, so you can be both a Crusader Knight and a member of the Pathfinder Society at the same time.

I'm interested to know if any of these relationships become conter productive? For example, if I join the Bandits of Thornkeep, will that conflict with killing wilderness bandits (needed for subterfuge leveling)?

I would hope that additional NPCs be added to avoid this potential conflict, both mechanically and thematically.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Settlement Focus: Fighter and Rogue Training
Game Play: Escalations / Refining / Crafting / Defensive PVP
Yrme
KarlBob
Failing to complete a contract isn't just chaotic in game, it will tick players off out of game. As a goad for maintaining a lawful alignment, that's useful negative reinforcement. As a way of maintaining a desired chaotic alignment, it's very self-destructive.

Remember that our active alignment will drift back to our core alignment over time. So if I have a CG character, I can take and complete contracts. They'll shift me towards lawful and I'll drift back towards chaotic. No problem. What I can't do is decide my character is CG and then make it my life mission to run contract after contract, while expecting to remain CG. If my character is CG, I'm not going be the type of character that runs contracts for a living. If I'm a character that runs contracts for a living, my alignment should likely be lawful- or neutral-something.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Yrme
KarlBob
Or will there be voluntary actions that people can take to bolster/exemplify their core alignment, or to accelerate their return to their core alignment after their active alignment drifts away from it?

From old threads on these topics, I recall vague speculation that paladins might have to work to maintain higher than the resting values of Good and Law for a Lawful Good core alignment, in order to use all of their powers (which never seemed fair to me).

Mmmm. I'm imagining the cathedral having a craft-queue like mechanism, where a character can queue up alignment shifting acts like "Absolution" and "Atonement" that take a long time to complete, but allow a Paladin or Cleric at 5000 Law and 5000 Good to shift their current alignment closer to 7500. (And similar, though more unsavory things, for the other end of the scale)
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
KarlBob
Yrme
KarlBob
Or will there be voluntary actions that people can take to bolster/exemplify their core alignment, or to accelerate their return to their core alignment after their active alignment drifts away from it?

Mmmm. I'm imagining the cathedral having a craft-queue like mechanism, where a character can queue up alignment shifting acts like "Absolution" and "Atonement" that take a long time to complete, but allow a Paladin or Cleric at 5000 Law and 5000 Good to shift their current alignment closer to 7500. (And similar, though more unsavory things, for the other end of the scale)
I could see that.
Good: 2,800 Hail Iomedaes.
Evil: 13 Human sacrifices (or 26 halfling sacrifices.)
MossMan
I'd like to see Erastil sooner rather than later - he's an outdoorsy god and has bow as his favored weapon, something I don't see with any of the other gods. With no Druids, he's about the best I can think of for my Fighter/Rogue/Cleric = Ranger.
Smeltbane
Here is the problem I see what the Alignment Restrictions and Gods in this blog.

According to the Blog you have to be within one step of your Settlement's Alignment. So, if your Settlement is NG you can be LG, NG, CG or N. You also have to be within one step of your God's Alignment. However, your God's Alignment must also be within one step of your Settlement's Alignment or your training won't be supported.

I don't understand why a N or CG Cleric of Gorum (CN) is basically banned from being part of a NG Settlement.

How about allowing Support (but not training) for Deities that are within two steps of the Settlement? (But not two steps in the same direction, so a NG would be fine with a LN or CN god, but not a NE god.)
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Drake
Here is the problem I see what the Alignment Restrictions and Gods in this blog.

According to the Blog you have to be within one step of your Settlement's Alignment. So, if your Settlement is NG you can be LG, NG, CG or N. You also have to be within one step of your God's Alignment. However, your God's Alignment must also be within one step of your Settlement's Alignment or your training won't be supported.

I don't understand why a N or CG Cleric of Gorum (CN) is basically banned from being part of a NG Settlement.

How about allowing Support (but not training) for Deities that are within two steps of the Settlement? (But not two steps in the same direction, so a NG would be fine with a LN or CN god, but not a NE god.)

Ryan doesn't see settlemenrs as being a diverse collection of people and interests. Characters are to be funneled into enclaves of like-minded, similar behaving, and restricted members of a collective. If you deviate too far, you are expelled.

This (PFO) is a sandbox with many internal walls. You are limited with what area of the larger box you can play within, and with what sand you can play with.
Aragon (CN) a settlement founded on the principles of the River Freedoms: Say What You Will; Oath Breakers Die; Walk Any Road, Float Any River; Courts are for Kings; Slavery is an Abomination; Have What You Hold.

Hoffman
How about a choice for an unaligned city? I am a bit worried that the University will be limited in who it can help by the alignment. We will have to see how things work but settlements that are trying to be helpful to everyone and neutral to politics (not alignment) will have some difficulty.
Pathfinder University Helping new players to enjoy the game.
Daily classes listed at http://classes.pathfinderuniversity.com - all are welcome.
Join Pathfinder University for your first 90 days in game.
Tyv Blodvaerd of Aragon
Hoffman
How about a choice for an unaligned city? I am a bit worried that the University will be limited in who it can help by the alignment. We will have to see how things work but settlements that are trying to be helpful to everyone and neutral to politics (not alignment) will have some difficulty.

I believe a settlement can be TN, but it can not be linked to another settlement as a part of an alliance, or kingdom.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post