Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Sincere question: Where and what kind of PvP is allowed?

Midnight
Cheatle for TEO
@Midnight, yep got all of the names of them, thank you for contributing to our numbers until I kick you out. smile

You are claiming access to info available only to GoblinWorks employees.

I'm not sure a winky face is going to be a stellar defense. If it's a joke it is in the poorest taste imaginable, in a game this fragile. Players can't be allowed to wonder, even for a moment, that some settlement leader can know the names of their unplayed characters. I can't imagine why you'd go there, even in jest.

Reported to GW customer service for internal investigation.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Brighthaven Leader
@Midnight,

This isn't my first rodeo, we have specific times of days where we have people apply to our guild, and/or if someone is on to accept them. When a slew of apps just pop in out of the air during non-designate times we are of course going to flag them, and when they all come in around the same time "Midnight" applies, yea do you think we are stupid?
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Tyncale
I think Cheatle was joking, possibly in reference to my remark about spies and sleepers. smile Cheer up!
Edit: or maybe not. smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Midnight
Cheatle for TEO
@Midnight,

This isn't my first rodeo, we have specific times of days where we have people apply to our guild, and/or if someone is on to accept them. When a slew of apps just pop in out of the air during non-designate times we are of course going to flag them, and when they all come in around the same time "Midnight" applies, yea do you think we are stupid?

I said that I "can" apply with unplayed characters. There's no legitimate way to know the names of unplayed characters that "can" apply.

I'll let GW decide what's going on because you're not making any sense to me.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
Tyncale
I think Cheatle was joking, possibly in reference to my remark about spies and sleepers. smile Cheer up!
Edit: or maybe not. smile

I have no idea. It's in GW's hands now. It's just the oddest thing I've seen in years.
-Edmund Burke
Brighthaven Leader
LMAO

Its all good.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Doc
I wouldn't expect EBA to stop recruiting because their recruitment strategy is predicated on the game gaining many more players. Stopping their recruitment and/or somehow encouraging them to split up would only make since if the game was going to carry on with roughly the current population. If the game only has the current population it will effectively be a failure and likely be shut down, so the curb on recruitment would be pointless.

The analogy of EBA acting like Hi-Sec is a great one, makes a lot of sense. However: there is no guarantee the big blue blob won't tear all your shit up for attacking anybody in low sec, and additionally we have been discouraged from attacking people in "low-sec" because most of them are fledgling settlements that need to get ramped up.

And honestly, I don't want to attack the small guys. So really, that would leave us with just a few targets, but you know I don't want to make enemies of the entire map either. I figured I would probably never be allied with EBA because I felt it would be extremely inappropriate to further engorge their already ridiculous numbers advantage - so it made sense to just try and make attacks on them to get a chance to actually do PvP in this game. But as stated here, that is a non-starter.

The whole "Norther Coalition limited options for PvP argument" is a non-starter as well. The Unnamed Company never showed up, and Gpunk's group quit. You can't seriously tell people to go attack people they can never defeat and say, "There, you got to do PvP, now be quiet and be happy." That applies just as much when advising me or AGC to go pick fights with Golgotha as it does for Golgotha trying to fight EBA by themselves.

It would be even more disastrous when the ability to burn stuff down enters the game. You can't even go "get your kicks" by facing off against an unbeatable foe, because you risk having your company lose everything it built over it. Unless you come up with some kind of treaty where they allow you to fight them and get slaughtered and in return they agree not to take any punitive actions against your settlement for throwing yourselves at them fruitlessly. I'm only half joking about that last part, because I think that could actually end up being a thing.

So, that's where I'm at, at this point. I know the design of the PFO setup is to discourage what is considered "bad guy behavior" but as of this juncture, it feels like it is actually going to discourage people from participating in what is considered "legitimate" PvP. Or, if the game mechanics aren't causing that, the lack of a system to try and keep the map somewhat balanced will be the cause.

I'm not sure Goblin Works even recognizes this as an issue. Ryan posted several times and didn't seem to want to address it, so I guess I'll stop rehashing my original point and just bow out. Thanks for sharing your opinions guys.
Nihimon
Doc
So my choice is to fight people in the north, which I don't want to do because they need breathing room, or fight you guys in the south and get overwhelmed - and in the future lose all our buildings.

I think you have more choices than that.

Ryan Dancey
1: Tell people in small groups "you have one week to prepare. After that week, when we see you anywhere other than the Hexes adjacent to your Settlement we'll kill you and take your stuff." Tell 'em on the forums so there's no confusion, amd others can offer to help.

2: Pick some swathe of the map that isn't adjacent to any Settlement. Give yourself a 3-4 hex buffer from any Settlement so you don't "accidentally" screw up some small group's attempts to learn how to play. Publish your intention on the forums to conduct unrestricted PvP operations against anyone you find in that area. (If you scout for them, there are valuable resources that could be significantly embargoed by doing that.)

I think part of your problem may be that you want it to be easy to find targets. One easy way to find targets is to hang out right outside of a Settlement, but that's going to really raise the ire of the Settlement, especially if you consistently deny them closure by logging out before they get a chance to kill you or drive you out of the area. It's not as easy to find targets hanging out in the wilderness, but it will be a lot less likely to really irritate the locals.

I think another part of your problem is that you seem to really want to target the Everbloom Alliance or our good friends. Trust me, there are a lot of things you could do in the game that wouldn't concern us in the slightest.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Nihimon
Doc
… it made sense to just try and make attacks on them to get a chance to actually do PvP in this game.

If you just want to PvP, come down to Phaeros during our PvP Window. You won't lose Reputation, you'll be fighting folks who want to PvP, and you won't be calling down the thunder of the gods unless you're coming down in sufficient numbers to actually take Towers from us, which seems unlikely.

You'll have to be smart, and you'll have to work to get kills, though. Our Towers are fairly spread out, and we're not going to abandon every post at the first sign of trouble, but we're organized and effective. It won't be easy, but I think this falls squarely in the "hard is fun" camp.
Nihimon
Doc
You can't even go "get your kicks" by facing off against an unbeatable foe, because you risk having your company lose everything it built over it. Unless you come up with some kind of treaty where they allow you to fight them and get slaughtered and in return they agree not to take any punitive actions against your settlement for throwing yourselves at them fruitlessly. I'm only half joking about that last part, because I think that could actually end up being a thing.

Perhaps I should have read your entire post before that last reply, because I think you might see my suggestion in this light, but I don't think that would be right.

I think what I said above about Phaeros's PvP Window should probably apply to everyone. If folks aren't guarding their Towers during their PvP Window, they deserve to lose those Towers. If they are, fight them and get your PvP in.

Read Ryan's suggestions above again, and contemplate all the times that I've specifically said we're following Ryan's lead, and ask yourself if you really think we're going to come up and squash you for following Ryan's advice. The EBA is not tying your hands with respect to attacking most folks outside the EBA. We have some good friends, and if you make a bunch of noise like you're planning a major assault and they have days to prepare, don't be surprised if you meet stiff resistance. But - please - quit pretending like the EBA is stopping you from doing any PvP at all anywhere on the map.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post