Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Get out to the forums!

Hobson Fiffledown
I'm in agreement with Doc on this one. While I am one of the niche players who enjoys the game and plays quite often, the state of the game has turned away 30/30 of my local gamer friends. Four of six Mosswater Valley Drifter players who were psyched to give it a go have already left, leaving little ole me and a very part-time player. Truly, some of the forum "warfare" cliques and power blocs leaning towards an early red v blue game do not help much, but a lack of features combined with impending exclusionary mechanics seem to be the main points of conflict for my groups.

When PFO is closer to ready, and I feel advertising it wouldn't be bad for the future of the game, I'll promote the heck out of it. I have an occasional media audience of a little over 1.2 million, with about 100k of that being a captive regular audience. I estimate 500 to 1000 out of that group might fit the bill for this game. However, promoting the game as it stands to that wide of an audience, I feel, would do a great disservice to PFO and might well produce negative word of mouth. Promotion also reflects directly on me, so there's that.

Word of mouth is generated naturally through people's experiences. If people's experiences are not generating positive word of mouth, I feel that is soundly on GW's shoulders. We do need many more players in the game today, but I feel GW has a good deal of work to do in the marketing and expectation management categories before casting a wide net could be considered beneficial. I've run more unsuccessful businesses than successful businesses and I'm not trying to come at this from a point of hubris or negativity. These are the same points I would raise to a friend in the same situation. Actually, it's much less blunt that how I would handle it with a friend. smile

All that aside, if people feel they have positive marketing avenues, I say go for it. This is just a description of why and where I'm hung up in those regards. I would like the game to succeed. I've dropped a little hunk of cash on it so far, and will continue to do so if the game matures and remains a fun experience for me. For now, my efforts to help will be spent trying to foster a fun experience for people who are logged in and playing the game.
This space for rent.
deisum
I think the game is on a good trajectory and definitely has awesome potential, but I also think it needs more development before it will be appealing to a broader market. Not the least of which is fully-realized player-run settlement and all the conflict that allows. The WoT was an experiment to jump-start the game to produce settlement-driven conflict, but I think, unfortunately, a failed experiment.

I'm hoping that the impending Cataclysm will effectively be the signal that the game is mature enough to allow the type of conflict the game is predicated on. If so, it will the perfect time to launch a marketing barrage.
Doc
Last I heard a month ago, there isn't going to be a cataclysm thing, at least that is what I interpreted from what Ryan Dancey said. I'm guessing some kind of roll out and change over of control of the settlements individual buildings.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
I'm not sure what you've seen, Doc, but my understanding is that when they are ready, all the existing buildings are supposed to be removed, except the banks. After that, we will build what we can afford to build. Whether it qualifies as a Cataclysm or not….
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Nihimon
The simple truth is they don't have enough money to spend 5 years developing this game before they start monetizing it. Ryan has talked about that a number of times. So, instead of spending 5 years and 50 million dollars, they're spending 2 years and - what, 3-5 million dollars? - and then letting those of us who recognize the potential of the game and the value of being a Crowdforger and who are willing to pay right now do so.

Just keep in mind, the alternative isn't "spend another couple of years developing and polishing and then let people play"… the alternative is "couldn't afford to build it".

Ryan's always been up front that Early Enrollment isn't for everyone. A lot of folks will want to wait until it's more developed, and that's fine. But for those who accept the fact that it's an unfinished game, and still want to pay to play, PFO is Goblin Balls Awesome!
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Jazzlvraz
Nihimon
…for those who accept the fact that it's an unfinished game, and still want to pay to play, PFO is Goblin Balls Awesome!

…and those are the folks whom I'm hoping we can attract. Statistics says there are some out there, so perhaps our efforts will locate a few of them.
Fanndis Goldbraid
Ryan took to the forums at MMORPG and answered a lot of questions directly from fellow forums posters. Check it out:
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/429455/Goblinworks-CEO-here-happy-to-answer-any-questions.html

Fresh info from the horses mouth. (Sorry Ryan. Not calling you a horse!) There were some nay-sayers as always, but we are working on a corner group of MMP gamers and the more we reach out to a larger number of players the more likely we all are to touch the people that this game will interest. Durin Steelforge and Nihimon are some of the few that fits the niche and found out about it early. I was a little late to the party. Durin has been in since the second day of the tech demo Kickstarter, and Elder Days not long after (if not before, didn't have a chance to ask him today).

Talk to numbers of people and the odds are in our favor.
Quijenoth Starkiller
Firstly I personally feel that advertising the game is neither a good or bad idea.

How you advertise matters the most.

Spamming MMORPG saying how awesome this game is and how its the next WoW killer will not help at all.

Also, whether you state that fact or not, people will always expect it if you post on very popular and public forums which results in bad press and an uphill fight to convince those that may be interested that its a good investment.

The games current state does not offer any backing for promotion right now. IMHO it simply needs more content and as Doc has mentioned Holdings and Outposts may just be enough to tip the content in the favor of those willing to give the game a chance.

If your intent is to pick up these types of people, firstly think about yourself and friends. Many have probably already tested the waters or are simply watching from the sidelines just like you have. Yes there may be another 1,000 people out there still not reached but are you willing to risk alienating another 100,000 just to reach them?

Then there is the Red v Blue problem. once you get those 1,000 in game how many will actually appreciate the current bad taste we are suffering from these peoples playstyles. The blame for this however lies solely on Goblinworks. They promoted the hell out of a "fair and just, non griefing, PvP system" but when the game went into EE none of that system was present. Griefing ensued and the first 2 months has really only been about creating workarounds to the problem until the systems can be put in place.

If you think the people you are advertising to can handle this without rage quitting and posting more bad publicity on the forums then sure hand out your buddy key. For now I'm holding mine back and instead just verbally promoting how much the games improving every 2-3 weeks. with enough breadcrumbs like that I may just have friends ask me for the key instead.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Fanndis Goldbraid
Thanks for your input Quijenoth. I make sure to give an honest assessment of the game (read the posts) but also state I am having fun (I am) and hope more players join. Sure, we could all wait another 6 months to give out any Buddy Keys, but this type of niche game made by a boutique developer needs word of mouth, and sooner than later. Am I willing to risk losing the supposed 100,000 later to get some in now? Yes. We need the players in now. The fantastical alienation of 100,000 non-players will never materialize if players do not subscribe and play now. GW is working on a model that requires current cash flow to fund further development. Lee stated in his Fireside Chat that the way to get the development to occur sooner rather than later is to get more paying subscribers, and that's what I am trying to do, and I will keep doing it.

Fanndis
Quijenoth Starkiller
Fanndis Goldbraid
GW is working on a model that requires current cash flow to fund further development.

Fanndis

This statement is what worries me, Looking back on the Kickstarters and initial development of the game, do you honestly believe they are running out of money? Do you have some insight to their financial stability the rest of us do not share?

I would hope that based on initial investment and goals of the Kickstarter their 5 year plan was already calculated. The Kickstarter smashed its goal for release and soon subs will start bringing in additional revenue. I have also seen numerous small holdings pop up on the map meaning people have invested beyond the Kickstarter. Yes they could do with more revenue, couldn't we all, but if they don't, are you saying development will cease in 3 months ?
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post