Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dev Blog: The Arrival of Influence

Brighthaven Leader
Lee Hammock
Actually crafting achievements are not one offs, they can be done repeatedly using the same formula as kill and interact achievements (though grinding out crafted goods just for Influence is a pretty poor resources to result ratio). Right now only the location achievements are treated as one offs.

Currently you don't gain Influence for role achievements. That should have been spelled out in the blog, sorry.

Do I gain anything for each level of Expert and Slayer Achievements, other than the last kill to gain the achievement?
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Decius
Lee Hammock
Actually crafting achievements are not one offs, they can be done repeatedly using the same formula as kill and interact achievements (though grinding out crafted goods just for Influence is a pretty poor resources to result ratio). Right now only the location achievements are treated as one offs.

Currently you don't gain Influence for role achievements. That should have been spelled out in the blog, sorry.
What's the math of influence generation for refining and crafting?

Also, I observed behavior on the test server that indicated that a gathering achievement provided influence in addition to the influence from gathering; is the intended behavior that only exploration achievements grant influence?

I'm asking because I want to create and share a planning spreadsheet quickly and provide good estimates of how much influence each character can expect to contribute, to minimize the weeping and gnashing of teeth come the day of influence.
Gog
We've been told that the primary purpose of the influence system is to engage with and enable the PVP systems, so I'm OK with my crafting characters gaining influence more slowly.

You can always go farm goblins with a longbow or staff if your crafter guild desperately needs influence.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Tork Shaw
Thannon Forsworn
Is there any particular reason you didn't simply attach someone's influence to their character and have it follow them around? It's still an incentive to get new folks in for quicker gains, but it doesn't make folding companies or jumping ship potentially devastating, and it still affects your total allowed and usable at any given time. The potential to completely destroy Influence seems like a problem area as you can't guarantee reasonable replacement without a fresh recruit which is only going to make the recruitment efforts even more cutthroat.

I think various peeps have covered this in subsequent replies. Influence does not belong to the character, it belongs to the company. Think of it as the work you did FOR that company, not the work you did for yourself. Any benefits that you gained while doing that work (loot, achievements, practice, knowledge) is yours to keep, but the work you did for the company remains with them.

Influence accumulation is infinite. You might have to go sideways to do it as effectively, but you can ALWAYS earn more.
Decius
Doc
It would be nice if there was an Achievement chain for successful Auction house sales. And maybe one for total bank account.
Auction house activity is a great idea for a social achievement, and it's not any more exploitable than the current social achievement.
Tyncale
@ Guurzak

I am not OK with it. An Armorsmith is an Armorsmith and not a Goblingrinder. This is supposed to be a MMO where at last we have Roles that are NOT Combat roles. This was a big selling point. We get Carpenters and Masons, for crying out loud.

Do these all have to go out and grind goblins, in order to be able to contribute to such an important system as Influence?

Crafting *is* part of the PvP systems. Also, the easiest way to gain influence currently is through PvE: grinding goblins.

Sorry, this is a potential gamebreaker for me.

My solution, create a formula where every crafting job gets weighed as to how much influence it yields. I am totally in favor of the Influence being tied to making stuff: just don't put it on the same level as killing a single goblin.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Doc
Auction house activity is a great idea for a social achievement, and it's not any more exploitable than the current social achievement.

I am like 250 away from 8000 goblin kills I think. So, it's not like other aspects of the game could not be exploited in that manner.
Tork Shaw
Cheatle for TEO
4) Have you considered a loyalty bonus? The longer someone is with you it might increase the max influence they give, or during anniversary months they gain a tiny bit of influence.

5) Have you considered a compromise on the system for Vet players, where lets say, 1 in 5 points gets assigned to the player, and if they leave they take 20% of their accumulated influence with them to where ever they go. Its kind of like a base influence, and anything above that amount is given to the company. This would prevent the situation that you described in EVE from happening, but allow vets to have some meaning besides increasing/decreasing max influence (A vet it worth more than the influence they provide) when they leave.

4) Dont jump on this comment just yet because its still something we are toying with but there is a possibility that there will be additional ways to improve/increased/earn influence that favour veterans. Trophies are a good example - the best trophies will basically ONLY be available to vets because they will come from completing super high level escalations, bosses, or dungeons.

5) I did consider it for a long while but after sketching out a few versions of this system I'm pretty against taking influence with you. If it turns out I was wrong I'm up for revisiting, but the implications of moving influence with characters are troubling to me… The earning process is NOT challenging, but it is a useful gate on rapid meta-moving between companies for a variety of possible exploits, some of which are mentioned in this thread and some of which I'm not going to mention because that would be daft of me smile

Bear in mind that influence generation infinite - so when we talk about letting a character take X% of their influence with them that too is an infinite number. It is not practical to hard cap that number (instead of a %) in the long term because then we introduce an inefficiency at a certain level that will inevitably attract disdain from high level players. It also starts to make assumptions and judgments about influence totals and character attractiveness/power and introduces an extra weird consideration in selecting new company members ("We'll accept Level X characters but only if they have Y influence totals with them"smile which is undesirable.
Tork Shaw
Nihimon
Are there any restrictions on the Companies that manage Settlements? For example, can they have other Holdings as well?

When a company gains a settlement a new organisation is formed. The original company does not own that settlement - they continue to operate as a company in their own right, so they can capture whatever they like!
Tork Shaw
Bunibuni
Tork Shaw
Tuoweit
Aside from building Holdings & Outposts, and declaring feuds, are there any other intended Influence expenditures? If a company is not planning on building an outpost nor declaring feuds, is the Influence it gains essentially wasted?

We have a few on the list (temporary bonuses, special items/features, pie in the sky…smile but they will likely not feature for a while. A company who do not want to own things or do feuds will be able to use their influence to push feuds thrown at them (i.e. choose a better time for them to start) and get minor company bonuses that improve quality of life for company members. Influence is the 'currency' of PvP, however, so it isnt all that much use (and likely will never be) to companies who do not with to engage in such systems.
Isn't influence also supposed to be used to help cover the maintenance costs of a settlement? Paying the monthly wear and tear on buildings?

It is not, nope. Thats bulk goods/coin/items.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post