Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dev Blog: The Arrival of Influence

Tyncale
Tork Shaw
As a non-PvP crafter your usefulness as a machine for generating the PvP currency is in line with your usefulness in toe-to-toe PvP. Your usefulness to a PvP company overall, however, is VAST!

As a crafter, I am creating the ultimate PvP-currency, which are the weapons they fight with.

This whole concept of "usefulness in toe-to-toe PvP" is rather odd too, since grinding goblins is actually the best way to create this PvP Currency. Maybe we should tone that down a bit then, because I can assure you that this is how people will quickly max out their companies Influence. Not by toe-to-toe PvP.

And if maxing out Influence is not a goal per se, then why not let crafter earn it a little bit easier?

Anyway, never mind, I'll put my G15 to work then. I noticed those Ornate Steel Shirts +1 (that I can make for myself!)have a nice 17 armor on them so should be good enough.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Cheatle for TEO
Ha, basically, what Lee Hammock said, is that when your maxed out, you will make more inf per job than killing a Goblin.

If you some how maxed out at 6 then you will make .00224536559 per crafting job, a maxed out goblin killer/slayer will max out at .00104355162 per kill, a huge difference. Refiners have it better at .004125 per job maxed out.
Absolutely not. There is no comparison.

A goblin hunter requires no resources to do what he wants to do all day, can team up with five other people and do it at a phenomenal rate, and faces no time restriction on doing it. And if he did, he could step a few feet and become a bandit slayer, instead, without spending a single extra XP.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Feldrol
Rynnik
It is the 'currency of pvp'.

Is it ? The blog says "constructing a Holding will require investing 100 Influence", "constructing an Outpost will require 50 Influence", and :
"Holding … will eventually include trainers, crafting facilities"

From a previous blog :
"Outposts produce bulk resources, which are special resources used in the upgrading and maintenance of Holdings and Settlements".

My understanding is that the total influence of companies linked to a settlement will tell you how many Holding and outpost you can maintain, and how efficient they are. This will tell you how much raw ressources you can collect and hence how much you can upgrade your settlement. Not enough influence = you cannot add a fighter trainer to your settlement. (unless by design influence is not the bottleneck of this process)

If i got this right, influence is more than "pvp currency".
Tork Shaw
Thannon Forsworn
You do one or the other and what you seem to be saying is crafting is trivial despite the XP costs and the fact that people are specializing out necessity. You're kinda of telling us we need to stop spending XP on crafting and doing something we judged to be much more productive as s whole, thus delaying all our production efforts, and go spend XP on combat so I can grind trivial difficult mobs.

Ok that is absolutely NOT what we are saying at all. I dont think I can really explain it any other way so I'll just restate and ask you to approach the answer from a slightly different angle. Imagine, for a moment, that you WERE a PvE player but you could only play for 2 hours a week…

Earning influence is easy.
It is done by EVERYONE in the company, all the time, at differing rates.
A player who only plays 2 hours a week will earn influence less quickly than one who plays 8 hours a week.
Their contribution is just as valid, however, because a) they still raise the max cap, b) they still contribute influence - FOR FREE - on TOP of WHATEVER actions they pursue, c) most companies will be at max influence ALL THE TIME anyway so any surplus influence they earn is going right in the trash, d) influence only affects PvP and a player only engaging 2 hours a week is unlikely to be a significant cog in the PvP wheel so they are JUST a bonus, not a drain or a risk.

Then imagine for a moment that you are a high level player who has completed almost ALL the achievements:

Your contribution is still valuable because you raise the cap.
You are SO IMPORTANT to the company because of your experience and muscle that THAT is your contribution, to hell with the pitiful influence you will contribute.

Does that make any sense?
Whether or not the crafting experience is satisfying is not really my bag so I dont want to get stuck into that, but I am confident that in this durability based, full loot, weapon and armor dependent game, crafting is sort of THE THING.
Tuoweit
Tyncale
I beg to differ. Their crafting achievements show that these characters have been gaining levels and creating stuff, that was made possible by investing 200k xp: just as much as any adventuring character. This is what crafters do. They are an inherent part of the gameplay in PFO and they should not be treated as second-hand characters.

There's also a little more involved then clicking that button: that's just the last action in the line. Come on, man.

All that other stuff isn't crafting - it's gathering, or market analysis, or trading. The *crafting* part is just clicking a button, someone else can do everything else for you (and, as Tork pointed out, they generally gain Influence for those other things).

Tyncale
I am not OK with it. An Armorsmith is an Armorsmith and not a Goblingrinder. This is supposed to be a MMO where at last we have Roles that are NOT Combat roles. This was a big selling point. We get Carpenters and Masons, for crying out loud.

I totally get where you're coming from, believe me. What you are railing against is my #1 beef with PFO. That was me 2+ years ago when it became apparent that the actual crafting was just clicking a button, rather than being engaging gameplay. Crafting output does generate gameplay, like trading and social interactions, but you don't actually need to spend a single point of XP on crafting skills to engage in that gameplay, and one trader can manage the output of a limitless number of crafters.

Crafting is nevertheless a vital role in the game, to be sure. However, on these very forums we have players advertising the services of their stable of crafting alts - to me this is a clear indication that crafters are indeed "second class citizens", as you describe it, not requiring active play to be fully competent in their roles. It therefore totally makes sense (within the current game design), however much we may dislike the reasons, that the Influence gained from it is relatively little.
Tyncale
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Cheatle for TEO
Ha, basically, what Lee Hammock said, is that when your maxed out, you will make more inf per job than killing a Goblin.

If you some how maxed out at 6 then you will make .00224536559 per crafting job, a maxed out goblin killer/slayer will max out at .00104355162 per kill, a huge difference. Refiners have it better at .004125 per job maxed out.
Absolutely not. There is no comparison.

A goblin hunter requires no resources to do what he wants to do all day, can team up with five other people and do it at a phenomenal rate, and faces no time restriction on doing it. And if he did, he could step a few feet and become a bandit slayer, instead, without spending a single extra XP.

But hey, Cal, you are forgetting the huge risk those goblin hunters are taking!

/sarcasm off
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Lee Hammock
Thannon Forsworn
I think you may be severely underestimating the amount of effort it takes to keep a production effort going versus killing a few mobs that are standing around waiting for it. My PvE folks are bored murdering mobs all day, my crafters/gatherers are working their asses off trying to keep everyone equipped and produce enough extra to sell. You don't really get to do both reasonably, maybe if we could play 8 hours everyday, but most of us can't. You do one or the other and what you seem to be saying is crafting is trivial despite the XP costs and the fact that people are specializing out necessity. You're kinda of telling us we need to stop spending XP on crafting and doing something we judged to be much more productive as s whole, thus delaying all our production efforts, and go spend XP on combat so I can grind trivial difficult mobs. I very much feel like that view is a problem. I can understand devaluing T1 crafting due to it's ease of entry, but T2 crafting is a fairly significant XP commitment and takes a lot more time and effort to get going.

I understand the difficulty of the production pipeline, and those gatherers get Influence every time they gather (plus what the refiners get, what the crafters get, and a little side Influence on the occasional monster kill or such). If you have a beginning to end production pipeline Influence will not be a problem for your company.

Also remember what I said in my earlier post: most companies will be at max Influence pretty easily. Influence is not scaled or expected to be a grind. If your company has been around for more than a few months, chances are it has all it can hold made up of crafters or otherwise. It's something your company earns doing what you already were doing.

Caldeathe Baequiannia
We get it. Influence is trivial and no one will care.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Rynnik
Feldrol
Rynnik
It is the 'currency of pvp'.

Is it ?

Yes. Those aren't my words.

Tork Shaw
Influence is the 'currency' of PvP, however, so it isnt all that much use (and likely will never be) to companies who do not with to engage in such systems.
Tork Shaw
Influence is not YOURS. It belongs to your company. It isnt like XP - it is used to engage in PvP game elements,
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Rynnik
double post
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post