Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dev Blog: The Arrival of Influence

Doc
@Tyncale:

My advice is to not let the influence value determine the intrinsic value of what you enjoy doing in game.

I can say unequivocally that what you do has "value" because you made a piece of armor that we bought for one of my company friends, and he looks good in it.

The same goes for everybody else who is a crafter and not thrilled about the influence valuations.

I feel this Influence thing is just another form of gathering, to benefit the company. And as with most activities in this game, based on EXP usage, some players are better at gathering certain kinds of things than others.
Tyncale
Ok, I'm over it. smile It's not that important.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Tyncale
As a last word, even though we know Influence is not a goal in itself for a character, I do hope we at least get to "Compare Influences" when they go live.

I am pretty sure mine is bigger then yours. smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Brighthaven Leader
@Tyncale, I was agreeing with his argument, I am sorry if you see it that way.

@Cal, I am not sure if that is because of the people we look for in recruiting, or because of the general mind set we instill in our membership.
Brighthaven is a Neutral Good settlement focused on defending its citizens and its allies from negative fringe based PvP (Player Killing and Griefing) while striving to become a large and shining beacon for Good. Whether you wish to benefit from this protection or you love PvP and wish to assist in providing this protection, Brighthaven aims to be the home and support center for you!
Feldrol
Ok, after giving this system more tought i think that influence will be the basic currency for pvp but also settlement growth.
Who gets influence at what speed is not really relevant since every company will be maxed out in a 6 month timeframe, and what is really relevant is the number of people in the company (since it is the caping factor).

So it boils down to settlements with the most people in their affiliated companies will get the most growth and most pvp currency.

Fine with me.
I will remember that a company with only crafters is not efficient to max out influence.
Decius
Lee Hammock
I will say crafters do have it easier than other repeatable achievement earners in that their achievements only go up to level 6 (or level 4 for refiners), so other achievements get far less return in the long term due to the (achievement level)^1.5 in the denominator of the Influence equation.
Wait… you get MORE for refining +0 Tier 1 stuff if you've never refined +3 tier 1 stuff than if you have?!?

Shouldn't someone who makes 100 loads of +0 firewood, then makes one load of +3 firewood, provide about the same influence gain as someone who makes one load of +3, then 100 loads of +0? Or at least not 8x as much?
Smeltbane
Cheatle for TEO
Ha, basically, what Lee Hammock said, is that when your maxed out, you will make more inf per job than killing a Goblin.

If you some how maxed out at 6 then you will make .00224536559 per crafting job, a maxed out goblin killer/slayer will max out at .00104355162 per kill, a huge difference. Refiners have it better at .004125 per job maxed out.
These numbers are just confusing me more.

The formula as posted "Each Achievement action that is a "counter" (i.e. x of y) completed provides: 0.033 / (current Achievement level^1.5) points of Influence"

Seems to suggest the higher level you are in an achievement the less Inf you get and with the .033 being divided it is such a little amount that it would take a 30 player company (max 1500 inf) about 760 DIFFERENT achievements lines all to 10 to max out.

So, what am I doing wrong with my math? It doesn't say anything about getting this Inf "per kill"
deisum
Things influence is:
  • A measure of how much property a company can control.
  • A measure of how many feuds a company can declare.

Things influence is not:
  • A reward for certain activities.
  • A valuation of character worth to a company.
  • A metric of character accomplishments.

Inf is a measure of company capability, not a metric related to individual characters. How fast an individual character generates influence will likely be more-or-less irrelevant once this threadnaught has sunk into the annals of history.

And I sure a hell hope there's never any way to compare characters based on influence generation.
Kero
I read "each achievement action that is a counter", as meaning each action that increases the counter (or would do so, if the counter hadn't already reached max). I'm going to assume that at achievement level 0 (i.e. during your first 10 kills), the formula will be identical to level 1 (instead of dividing by 0).

So, e.g. if I'm currently at longbow expert 1 (15/25), the next 10 longbow kills would each give me 0.033 points of Influence. At that point, I have reached longbow expert 2 (25/50), so the next 25 kills would each give me 0.012 (=0.033/2^1.5) points of influence. Now I'm longbow expert 3 (50/100), so the next 50 kills would each get me 0.06 (=0.033/3^1.5) points of influence. And so on. At longbow expert 10, i will have completed 8000 achievement actions. Each one after that will net me 0.001 (=0,033/10^1.5) further points

The 8000 longbow kills will be worth a total of about 14.25 Influence points (if I remembered correctly the steps needed for each level). At the same time, I'd get at least that much again for the kill counter for whatever mobs I killed there. So just for that, my company is already more than halfway to its first outpost. Seems straightforward enough and well within reach, but I could be wrong somewhere…
Smeltbane
Kero, if that is how it works, then Crafting isn't a "Counter" achievement because you craft an item, you get the achievement, every achievement is 1 craft, but they said it's NOT that way. This makes me think the "counter" is the 1 of 10, 2 of 10 ect and 10 is the cap for most achievements.

This means, if the way you have it is right, then Killing 25 Goblins and 25 Bandits nets more Influence then crafting every recipe at +5 through Tier 3 in a single craft would.

Even if Crafting is set to one-off all 36 (2 achievement lines, 3 Tiers, 6 levels) that is only 11.88 Inf for the lifetime of the Craft, or 71.28 if you some how do it for all 6 Crafting Skills. (And refining would get even less.)

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post