Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dev Blog: The Arrival of Influence

Azure_Zero
Tyncale
What exactly does the symbol ^ mean in the calculation of Influence? Tried to find it but either its something really compliacted or it simply means + but thats not it I think.

@Tyncale
The ^ means "to the exponent of."
An Example is 2^4 = 16.
Tyncale
Thanks! smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Thod-Theodum
My 2p worth for the debate

The influence of the crafter is not crafting the T2 armour - the influence is who gets the T2 armour.

Give it to someone wha needs it and he suddenly is sooo much better in killing monsters aka getting more influence. As such a crafter generates influence indirectly while a fighter / gatherer generates it directly.

Now comes the crunch - if you craft for someone else (some other company / settlement) then the crafter enables someone else to gain influence. I don't think this is bad - but this might be behind the issue that a crafter feels 'not valued'.

I'm happy for any crafter joining EL - the higher rank, the more recipes they know - the better.

At the same time I like them to produce mainly for EL as this helps EL to gain influence. If they produce for others then this is okay but I'm aware that they produce influence for others.

As such I think influence works as intended. The main problems are

a) companies solely made up of crafters
b) crafters mainly crafting for other companies

I guess Tyncale falls into both categories and that is why he feels penelized. But look at Callambea - they have a single tower because there are no fighters. Crafters alone don't make influence - it needs a mix. But crafters mixed with other players seems ideal for me.

I don't care that 1 player created 100 influence and another 5 - together they created 105 and it is what we achieve together what counts.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
The Eternal Balance
Q: What if my character has a substantial amount of influence but is NOT part of any company by server downtime on April 2nd? She then decides to join a company a week later. Does she loose all her influence accumulated since the beginning of EE if not in a company on April 2?
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Azure_Zero
Theeternalbalance
Q: What if my character has a substantial amount of influence but is NOT part of any company by server downtime on April 2nd? She then decides to join a company a week later. Does she loose all her influence accumulated since the beginning of EE if not in a company on April 2?

Yep, the influence is lost.
It mentioned in the fireside chat with Tork.

If you want you can Join one of Talonguard's companies
The Eternal Balance
Well that kinda sucks. (thanks for the offer btw)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Rynnik
Theeternalbalance
Well that kinda sucks. (thanks for the offer btw)

Why would you want to contribute influence if there isn't even a company out there you want to join?
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Tink says Stab
I think it's more that he doesn't want to feel that the work he has already done was somehow in waste. It's a reasonable thing to think, especially without seeing how easy influence will be to gain. If the developers said "Everyone that is in a company at this date will get 50 silver deposited into the company vault" and you missed it,you would be similarly upset. Right now people are thinking of influence as a personal currency that makes them valuable, and there is a chance that they will lose that value in the near future.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Tink says Stab
I think it's more that he doesn't want to feel that the work he has already done was somehow in waste. It's a reasonable thing to think, especially without seeing how easy influence will be to gain. If the developers said "Everyone that is in a company at this date will get 50 silver deposited into the company vault" and you missed it,you would be similarly upset. Right now people are thinking of influence as a personal currency that makes them valuable, and there is a chance that they will lose that value in the near future.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Yrme
Theeternalbalance

One thing that Tork hit repeatedly in his talk was that characters have achievements. Companies have influence. Characters belonging to a company that is below its ceiling can earn influence for the company, but doesn't earn influence for himself.

Many companies will start April 2 at near maximum influence. Assume a 20 character company, with 1162 influence. With 21 characters (if you had decide to join at the last minute) it would have 1200 influence, an increase of 38 and well below the influence you might have contributed. And that's ok. If you join that same company on April 3, the 21 characters of the company will likely earn the company that extra 38 influence in a very short time.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post