Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dev Blog: The Arrival of Influence

Stephen Cheney
Nihimon
Part of the problem here is that the devs told us about Influence a long time ago and, whether intentionally or not, allowed us to believe that Companies would always want to be recruiting new Players because of their Influence-generating potential. Now that we understand how Influence actually works, we're having to work to change those prior expectations.
I think part of the disconnect is that we're trying to set it up so Influence is pretty hard to get if your company is not active and pretty easy to get if you're very active. There's a region in the middle where recruiting new characters is incentivized because their activity-to-influence rate is better.

That is, it's less "this Influence mechanic is the only reason you would want to recruit newbies because it's super important and only newbies can get it easily," and more "newbies get a small but significant bonus to influence gain for your company, so if you were on the fence about recruiting newbies, maybe this will do something to change your mind about that." I suspect we will be looking at more incentives for recruiting newbies as well, since we want people to be able to find a company when they start playing and that company to feel like they are benefiting from the first day, but Influence is not meant to be the only thing that newbs contribute.
Tork Shaw
Quick note relatd to all this - I was asked in the Keepside Chat about what spaces would be available for Holdings… There has actually been no change to that, so basically anything that isnt a monster hex, settlement hex, road hex, or NPC hex.
Ryan Dancey
Midnight
1) Will a company that isn't part of a settlement (either by choice, or because it can't get a settlement leader to log in and accept it in time for this initial influence seeding) still get influence?

Companies get Influence, not Settlements. Company influence is not related to Settlements in any way.

2) When companies leave a settlement do they keep their influence (and holdings and outposts) and what effect does joining another settlement have on any of that?

See above.
Feldrol
"Companies get Influence, not Settlements. Company influence is not related to Settlements in any way."

Hum, until that sentence i thought i understood that influence would allow to make holdings that produce raw ressources, and that these raw ressources could be used to develop the buildings of settlements.

I suppose i will just wait for the blog that tells us more about holdings.
Gog
Tork Shaw
Quick note relatd to all this - I was asked in the Keepside Chat about what spaces would be available for Holdings… There has actually been no change to that, so basically anything that isnt a monster hex, settlement hex, road hex, or NPC hex.

So building in Red X elevation transition hexes is in? (Please?)
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>
Midnight
Guurzak
Tork Shaw

Not sure what a red X hex is, but all the elevation transition hexes I have ever traveled, had roads on them.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Rynnik
Midnight
Guurzak
Tork Shaw

Not sure what a red X hex is, but all the elevation transition hexes I have ever traveled, had roads on them.
Pretty sure Road in this usage signifies a 'crusader road' hex Midnight. The grey ones with the two bumpy lines in them. Not necessarily the meaningless path graphic used throughout the game.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Yrme
Feldrol
"Companies get Influence, not Settlements. Company influence is not related to Settlements in any way."

Hum, until that sentence i thought i understood that influence would allow to make holdings that produce raw ressources, and that these raw ressources could be used to develop the buildings of settlements.

I suppose i will just wait for the blog that tells us more about holdings.

Companies use influence to claim holdings and outposts, but they can do this whether they are part of a settlement or not. The bulk goods produced by outposts will be of use to settlements, but those bulk goods could be produced in the settlement's territory, another settlement's territory, or a company's territory not owned by a settlement.

I think the company/settlement relationship is more tied to: advanced settlements provide advanced training that is valuable to the company members, and ownership of the hex that the company holds is valuable to the settlement (because it can increase the settlement's Development Index, which allows for building advanced structures, among other things).
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Tyncale
So, a Company that is unaffiliated with any Settlement can have a Holding, but will not add to the DI of any settlement: and the moment they affiliate themselves with a Settlement (Charter, sponsor or how this is called) the settlements DI will increase?
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Gog
Influence and DI are two completely different mechanics, and we know almost nothing about how DI works except that companies as such don't have anything to do with it. It's possible that a settlement may gain DI from the holdings I'd it's chartered companies (not from the company itself) but that's just speculation.
^This is Dak (Charlie George). RIP <Guurzak>

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post