Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Clarification on Favored Weapons and Factions

Wolf of Rathglen
I know your line so I'm only asking simple questions about what you intend for it today, knowing it could change tomorrow.

Weapon feats and faction ranks (last I heard) both come in six steps. Will the weapon feats become available to train and use only once you reach that level of faction standing i.e. faction rank 4 to get t2 sanctified weapon feats?

To clarify wording from the blog, when we train our deities' favored weapon attacks from their faction, that still costs xp (and coin?) the same as standard weapon feats right?

Will it be possible to be a member of two churches that are friendly to one another such as how Sarenrae views other Good deities as allies?

Starslinger on the run for life!!
Hammerfall: Like a waterfall, but tougher.
Stephen Cheney
ProximaSin
I know your line so I'm only asking simple questions about what you intend for it today, knowing it could change tomorrow.

Weapon feats and faction ranks (last I heard) both come in six steps. Will the weapon feats become available to train and use only once you reach that level of faction standing i.e. faction rank 4 to get t2 sanctified weapon feats?
Not yet determined but it probably will not be one to one. IIRC, it's pretty easy to get the early faction ranks and you might not even have to commit to the faction, so you may not even be able to get feat rank 1 until one of the higher faction ranks after you've committed.

To clarify wording from the blog, when we train our deities' favored weapon attacks from their faction, that still costs xp (and coin?) the same as standard weapon feats right?
Yep. Raising the faction unlocks the option to buy and slot them, but it doesn't give them to you for free. Their current XP cost is their cost.

Will it be possible to be a member of two churches that are friendly to one another such as how Sarenrae views other Good deities as allies?
I'd need to defer to Tork to confirm, but I think it will be relatively easy to keep friendly churches all at positive faction, but IIRC only one will be able to get past the committed rank, while the others will be limited to the max rank you can get without committing.
KarlBob
Will cleric levels be separate from deity faction ranks? Can a character commit to a mortal faction and still advance as a cleric?

For example, is this possible: Cleric of Desna 12, Church of Desna (one less than the commitment rank), Pathfinder Society (two greater than the commitment rank)?
Stephen Cheney
Church faction rank and Cleric level are independent, though there may be certain ranks of domains and other church-linked Cleric feats that require a particular faction rank. Clerics should have an easier time raising a church faction, but non-Clerics are intended to be able to raise it as well. (Note that the divine faction weapon attacks we put in will probably change from "Cleric" to individual factions as their "role" once we get the factions in… they were built with an eye toward becoming part of the arsenal of rogues, fighters, etc. that want to pursue the faction.)

I think church and Pathfinder Society are on separate faction tracks, so you can commit to both. (But I'm not 100% positive.)
KarlBob
Thanks, Stephen.
Wolf of Rathglen
Thanks for always answering this makes you like 20/20 so officially the best customer oriented game dev ever.

What is the significance of reaching the committed level of a faction? In a church is that when the option for favored weapon training becomes available? Permanently flagged for pvp from enemy factions?
Stephen Cheney
We have now bypassed my level of certainty on the system. I'll try to get Lee or Tork to swing by and provide more answers smile .
Tork Shaw
*swings by*

So yep you can keep positive faction ratings with more than one faction. However, if you dont keep working for them all you will start to lose rating with them as you gain it with others. I have a few versions of how that works so you'll need to treat it as conceptual until I finish the maths smile Your example (religious faction + secular faction) is totally feasible with minimum effort. It will be relatively easy to maintain relationships with theologically similar churches, but radically harder to maintain relationships with churches with different outlooks/alignments.

There are 6 ranks of faction membership. At a certain rank (at the moment I think it is 5+) you will become constantly flagged 'for the cause' which means you a) get all the best benefits of being in that faction but b) you become free PvP to any of that faction's enemies who are also 'for the cause'.

You can also voluntarily flag yourself 'for the cause' if you have a rank of 2+, allowing you to hack up any of your faction's enemies who are also 'for the cause'. Flagging and unflagging 'for the cause' is done from any faction building.

As for clerics: Again the mathematics are not set but the jist of it is that they will either gain a flat bonus to faction rating for X faction (determined by feat load out, existing faction rating, or active choice/commitment to a detity - best way yet to be decided!) OR they will earn faction rating much, much faster for a faction whose domain/alignment/skill/feat-loadout they are currently meeting.

Does that make sense?
Wolf of Rathglen
Conceptually with room for the numbers to change, yes.

Basically the plain question I had was about a single character having access to the favored weapons of two different deities if all the other considerations are met.

For example, a NG cleric of Sarenrae is within one alignment step of LG, friendly with Iomedae, has all the requisite attributes and training in domains and other feats for both deities. Can that cleric maintain high faction standing with both churches and equip both the scimitar and sanctified longsword concurrently and swap between them?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post