Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Announcing Head Start Access

Ryan Dancey
We are announcing Head Start Access, $30 Price point, starts 1st of April!
BlackMoria
What happens if the account is open enrolment and one activates Early Enrolment (as I have). I have headstart on that account. Does this mean I get a free month added to my EE months? Or does it mean my open enrolment now activates and I have both a EE account and OE account, in essence with a new 1000 xp character I can then use.
Ryan Dancey
Not sure I understand. You have an Adventurer Reward and a Crowdforger Pioneer Reward on the same account?
Tyncale
I think 30 dollars is still too steep,I would make it 15 or 20. Then offer a tiered sub-model of 5, 10 and 15 dollar subs, for 1/3rd, 2/3rd and 3/3rd of XP earned.

I am making these numbers up, just thinking hard on how to get people over the "have to pay sub while still being developed" hurdle. I know every chump should be able to cough up 15 bucks but because 15 dollars is the industry-standard for a sub for a *finished* game(at least that is the perception), people are having trouble with this pricepoint for PFO (not finished).

Maybe for a 20 dollar initial buy, then 5 dollars to be able to participate in this proces, while your character progresses at a slower pace, people will go for that.

Maybe people will feel like two-bit players when they do the 5-dollar sub, then again people are known to pay token-fees just to be able to be part of something(see the lowest Kickstarter tiers), keep supporting it and for the possibility to be able to keep sneak-peaking into the game without having to re-activate (for 15 dollars each time).
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Thod-Theodum
You can't lower subscription prices without an uproar of the most dedicated players which have paid full price for maybe many month ahead. These people all would feel cheated.

So you are in a difficult position - offend your most loyal customers to bring in more new people cheaply or risk to bring in less customers.

To be honest - I'm happy with the game as is. I play many hours on average a day. I love it.

At the same time I'm reluctant to bring in new players. Not because of the cos but because of all the nay-Sayers here. It is not of they paid $5 or $50 - it is will they turn around and say - why did you ask me to try the game.

I see a lot that is right as well as a lot that is wrong in the game. I can ignore the wrong. I even post on the GW forum now despite hating it. But I love to build up, interact, play the political game, see a whole settlement growing. I see a purpose for my game. So all shortcomings are just hurdles to achieve what I want in an easier way.

But I can't transplant my purpose to others. I can make it easier for others by providing a settlement, providing options, providing opportunities for others to generate content. But in the end you still need to create content yourself.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Tyncale
I am not proposing to lower subscription prices. For 5 dollar per month you would get 1/3rd of the XP we have been getting. So that would be about 24000 XP per month instead of the 72000 we got for each gametime month.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Tink says Stab
On one hand, cool. This means I can get a buddy account upgraded, and basically get the account itself for free.

On the other hand, I can't lie that it feels a little bit like a red flag. It makes me think you aren't getting the uptake you need, and so you are tapping another pool of players that you didn't initially plan on tapping. I hope that that isn't the case.
Tink quivers in sheer euphoria as the dank memes course through his fedora
Smeltbane
How will this affect the buddy invite program? Can they pay the $30 to upgrade with the Head Start?
Ryan Dancey
Yes!
Doc
@Thod:

You can't lower subscription prices without an uproar of the most dedicated players which have paid full price for maybe many month ahead. These people all would feel cheated. So you are in a difficult position - offend your most loyal customers to bring in more new people cheaply or risk to bring in less customers.

It's supply and demand, basic market forces, price discovery.

Which would you rather have: a small cadre of early adopters who remain confident that the purchase value of their early access status remains undiluted? Or a non-empty gameworld?

My guess is PFO is running at about 10% of the activity it had at the beginning of February, based on my observations of all day town traffic, and company activity of the various groups I am able to observe.

Either way, I think people paid such high prices for PFO early access primarily so they could get early access. If the head start prices are reduced, it doesn't change the fact that the earliest adopters still had the earliest access.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post