Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

We need a policy about shrine camping

Yrme
So Goblinworks… Would it be possible, in the future, to maybe capture the coordinates and times of our deaths? If you could do that, you could run the death coordinates through a routine to determine if someone died within R meters from a shrine. You'd also be able to know how long since we last died.

If you could do this, you could announce a policy before the tech were fully implemented. Post a tersely worded blog post about it, and warn us not to get used to camping shrines, because it will bite us. smile I'd offer this sort of thematic stuff for implementation in the distant future:

- Shrines are holy places and respected by the NPCs who do much of the work in the River Kingdoms.

- The first time a character is killed at a shrine (not shrine camped - merely killed within R meters), you have offended the locals. Everyone in the killer's party suffers a reputation hit of a set amount, in addition to the rep hit from the killing.

- The second time a character is killed at the same shrine within some time (I'd recommend a random time check, so we can't game it, but something less than 5 minutes), it will be considered shrine camping. You have seriously offended the locals. Everyone in the killer's party suffers a large rep hit, in addition to any rep loss from the killing.

- The third time a character is killed, you're just starting to irritate things you shouldn't be messing with. All members of the killer's party drop to -7500 Rep, if they aren't there already. The characters are flagged with some minor curse: they arrive at a random shrine on their next death. Or they are struck dead. Or their equipment threads are disabled for the next day.

Yeah, yeah, yeah - you don't want to do the programming right now. You're going to have to do it eventually - there will plenty of things you need to identify as 'out-of-bounds' play. But once you all decide on how you'd like to implement it, then you can make a policy that fits the future system. For the shrines are holy places concept above, the policy can be boiled down to: Don't kill people within __ meters of a shrine.
At some point, crowdforging suggestions seem to be like fan fiction. Some good, some bad, some repetitious and predictable. But maybe there are some gems out there.
Decius
Yrme
Decius
That shows the necessity of making Reputation important, I think. If Reputation is important, there's a meaningful cost directly involved with repeatedly killing characters, and an indirect cost in that you are cheaper to repeatedly kill.

Since the reports from people who have pegged negative reputation are that it isn't a big deal, apparently that system isn't yet working.

The trouble with using Reputation and total equipment loss as a limiter as to how many times someone can be killed at a shrine: we will in time have things like feuds and full wars. There will be no Reputation loss then. Multiple killings at a shrine will be no more acceptable then than it is now, even with no Rep loss.
No more and no less acceptable than during a Tower assault now, unless there's a code change. The point of having a discussion about what is acceptable now is to allow for the rules and programming to adjust in time to make things fair when the game is released.

Once they have a choice of locations to spawn at and Reputation means enough that most people won't intentionally tank it, I don't think that Shrine Camping will be possible. Until then, I think that drawing a hard line at "Once no objective other than temporary inconvenience of the player is being furthered" is appropriate, and I haven't seen anyone else draw a different line that described unambiguous actions.
Decius
Midnight
Decius
Looking through the various options, I think that the policy might end up needing to be "Never more than required to break the target's equipment".

That's not to say that less than that is always (or even often) acceptable, but that's the only hard line I can draw at the moment.

You guys are obsessed with this "we'll break your gear" thing.

Truly obsessed.

We're only going to kill you 19 times at the shrine, because 20 would be unsportsmanlike?

I have direct knowledge about how hard it is to replace T2 armor. It is the only cost that I can directly impose on some behaviors.
Rynnik
Decius
It is the only cost that I can directly impose on some behaviors.

If you really believe that you are truly suffering from a lack of imagination.
Not a member, representative, or supporter of Brighthaven Alliance.
Midnight
Decius
Midnight
Decius
Looking through the various options, I think that the policy might end up needing to be "Never more than required to break the target's equipment".

That's not to say that less than that is always (or even often) acceptable, but that's the only hard line I can draw at the moment.

You guys are obsessed with this "we'll break your gear" thing.

Truly obsessed.

We're only going to kill you 19 times at the shrine, because 20 would be unsportsmanlike?

I have direct knowledge about how hard it is to replace T2 armor. It is the only cost that I can directly impose on some behaviors.

I have direct knowledge of tumors. That doesn't mean I'm going to inflict them on others to control their behavior.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Grip
There are tumors in game?!
Edam
Grip
There are tumors in game?!

Feya's Bursting Tumor.

level 6 expendable.

It is a higher level version of Ezren's Snotty Nose.
New Guy
GW- Here is a policy for Shrine Camping:

Don't do it.
There is no need for a policy beyond that. If you try to create some "code" where you can do it X times if Y happens, your policy is a failure before it even begins.

Spawn Camping is wrong. Don't do it. Don't condone it. Condemn it loudly and clearly.

Flynn Pontis
^
Midnight
^
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post