Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder University Is Moving!

Caldeathe Baequiannia
While Abierzen's position statement seems a bit inflammatory to me, I share most of the concerns. 90 days is a very long time in PFO, and the accumulation of gathering and PvE resources in a bank is going to make any move a herculean task for the average person who wants to leave. Most of their options are going to come down to how far to travel with their accumulation, and it does not bode well for the teams that are anywhere on the fringes of the map, and already suffering from isolation. I don't feel like the University should be supporting anyone in reaching T2, and for it to hold towers as well as skim off the lion's share of many players' Influence is the kind of power sink that gives me pause.

Bad enough to have had Rotter's Hole plunked down on our frontier, by putting the University and Rotter's Hole on opposite sides of the available space, the developers are to some degree further contributing to an already existing ghettoization of one side of the map. I hope, if so, it's intentional, rather than carelessness. I can tolerate being part of an experiment to see if the Penal Colony effect will breed stronger players, but won't be pleased if it's just recklessness.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Abierzen
Caldeathe, I thank you for your compliment. As a U.S. Navy retiree and who had spent an entire career being an Official Spokesman for the Fleet (and in part of the U.S. Government)… I find political and public statements to be the most flawed things anyone ever makes because no one ever says what their real intentions are, which are hardly ever close to what their Statement actually wrote because telling the masses what you really ever intend to be or do will never go over well.

I laugh at many of the things I read and take it w/ a grain of salt but I will allow myself to vocally voice the real nonsense I read from those same Statements … And I will do it as vocally or inflammatory or any other means as I see fit to express my point, which so far, many people have said might be inflammatory but I have a valid point.

And I enjoy doing so because after living the life as a U.S. government face of the public I have learned very well that the only way most people will really take notice is if you Speakly Loudly AND Carry an even bigger Stick (or Dagger or Greatclub or the Grandest Greatsword any dwarf would die and live out all of their greatest fantasies with).

Now that I think about it … That last statement would ,are a great signature tag for me… Thank you for helping me to think that one up.
After living the life as a U.S. government face of the public I have learned very well that the only way most people will really take notice is if you Speakly Loudly AND Carry an even bigger Stick (or Dagger or Greatclub or the Grandest Greatsword any dwarf would die and live out all of their greatest fantasies with).

MC1 Donald P. Rule, USN(FR)
Sheila Silverwind, Commander Excelsior (Free Highlanders)
PFU Hoffman
I will gladly have an open discussion about PFU, it's goals, structure, etc. I do not appreciate the personal attacks though.

1st, to answer the issues where I 'demanded' something. We have intentionally not announced out request for territory as Fanddis let us know there was discussion still going on at Forgeholm. We originally reached out to Forgeholm once we learned about the move to have a discussion about land. I met with two of Forgeholm's leaders to talk about options. I was told Forgeholm was claiming 2 hexes around it (much as PFU did around RiverBank). Unfortunately the high level of npc hexes did not allow for the same. I did say it would be great if we could have the first row of mountain hexes near Forgeholm and was told that was not claimed territory and shouldn't be an issue. Later I heard there was an issue with the monster hex at 6,-3 and said I understand. We do regularly wipe out 2-3 monster hexes daily as we are training on escalations and new players love the satisfaction of beating the boss.

As far as our faculty goes, most of them have actually 'grown up and out' of the University. I do know of two who have Alts in other companies (myself and foxglove both have a crafter in TEO).

We have had a lot of support from the Aeonian League, Emerald Lodge, EBA and EoX. Each provides support in their own way and we encourage others to do the same.

As far as GW's support goes, you are correct that our move is something different from the norm. They have also offered to list our events but have offered to do that same for anyone.

As far as 90 days goes, most of our players leave around either 15 or 45 days. (15 being the ones who don't renew). I have asked GW if there is any way for the players to take their influence with them but I'm not sure that is possible.

I would encourage anyone who wants to start a similar program or spend their game time helping new players to do so. I would LOVE it if PFU was 'put out of business' because there was no need.

At the same time I do not appreciate and will not stand for personal attacks on me or my faculty. I am happy to discuss any issues in private, on mumble, etc as appropriate.
Pathfinder University - A place for new players in their first 90 days.
Abierzen
Not intending to be personal attacks but no where did I day Hoffman but instead PFU … Which did make DEMANDS.

When Fanndis first decided to tell some of us about his secret meetings to give away territory (and Monster Hexes) we were told PFU wanted control of all that area and when he took it upon himself to say we weren't so inclined To that idea than PFU countered by saying that if we control the Monster Hexes than we MUST accept Students in out part(

I don't speak for the Settlement but if anyone EVER tells me that I MUS accept anyone in my group … I don't care if they are my Wife, kids, friends or enemies … I will very bluntly tell them where to shove that DEMAND.

Leader or not I will not succumb to demands … EVER.
After living the life as a U.S. government face of the public I have learned very well that the only way most people will really take notice is if you Speakly Loudly AND Carry an even bigger Stick (or Dagger or Greatclub or the Grandest Greatsword any dwarf would die and live out all of their greatest fantasies with).

MC1 Donald P. Rule, USN(FR)
Sheila Silverwind, Commander Excelsior (Free Highlanders)
PFU Hoffman
I do take it personally as you did say comments about the Dean (me).

That aside, our original meeting was not secret. It sounds like you have some different opinions from your leaders and that is your choice. I asked about the leadership structure and was assured our discussion should be fine. I'm not going to try to talk about internal politics of any settlement as that is your own prerogative.

Fanddis came back to me and said members of Forgeholm would still like to work on the monster hex at 6,-3 and if PFU 'controlled' that then can Forgeholm also? My SUGGESTION was that it would be best for both of Forgeholm and PFU students could work together on it. I.e. Be part of the same mixed group. Many companies have done this and it encourages new players to both learn and get to know people. Btw if Forgeholm wants that hex, it is yours. Just let us know if we can hunt there or not. There are no DEMANDS. We have no way to enforce a demand even if we did make one. The only hard and fast 'rule' for PFU is no using our area, mumble, etc to wage battles or war.

Writing this last paragraph really crystallizes Caldeathe's concern which is completely valid. It is nearly impossible for those in the NW to do escalations with PFU in the new location (even though none were done when we were in RiverBank). What I encourage is what Aeonian league is doing. Both Duffy and Thannon regularly teach classes and reach students that way.
Jakaal
I think there has been some miscommunication and I think the current discussion of specifics would be better held back behind closed doors so to say rather than out in public like this. I deliberately avoided mentioning any specific details for those reasons.
PFU Hoffman
Will do Jakaal. Thanks for weighing in. Sorry I reacted to what I felt was a personal, inflammatory attack. Got sucked in.
KarlBob
Time for a distraction!

What will the settlement be named? Pathfinder University? University Commons? New Old Kindleburn?
PFU Hoffman
University commons
KarlBob
Congratulations to University Commons and PFU!

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post