Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Targeting

Smitty
Not sure this really belong sin targeting thread but I have a deep EQ background. I really liked the raid target windows and leadership aa lines they introduced. Many of those things became common that people expect in MMos. Health of targets target , main assist targets etc ..

Wouldn’t mind seeing things like (the target examples above, and some of the eq leadership aa's) added when they put in officer and other formation jobs. I just think those things should be tied to leadership roles and give players who choose to train them more value in other aspects of the game beyond the formation combat jobs.
Dazyk of Phaeros
Part of the problem is also with the animation syncs; since characters don't 'square off' with eachother, and you can effectively attack someone to the side or even behind you, it is difficult, even nigh-impossible, to have a good idea of who is attacking you.
Dazyk Half-Elven, Elder of the Frozen Fingers, the shock- troops of Phaeros. If you are a fighter, cleric, or rogue, and enjoy battle, be it PVP or PVE, we are the company for you! We welcome role-players, casual gamers, and hardcore players alike.

Find your hidden strength, join the Frozen Fingers today!
Dazyk's PFO Resources Folder
Wylder
I'm in the camp that during combat, you shouldn't receive a lot of information. Goal is immersive POV PVP, not chess.

- Fog of War: Your mini-map visibility range during combat diminishes based on your Perception skill (or anything else that effects your awareness and the amount of damage taken. I've even seen games where the screen starts to blur-out once you take a lot of damage (typically zombie/horror games to add suspense to your impending doom).

- You should be aware of who's attacking you within your field of view. The game doesn't yet seem to implement a field of view. It's also going to be harder to identify who's attacking you at range without the trajectory of arrows or spells. For hits from behind or from the sides, use a red bar around the left, right or bottom of the character to indicate they are being attacked from that direction. They have to face that direction to see who's attacking them.

- As a player, you should be able to access a combat log after combat for the purposes of learning curve. And you should know who killed you when you die, and what that fatal attack was. That helps to build rivalries and what not.
Kitsune
Midnight
Wow, just read this and found I was arguing for the same thing in another thread. I want to know who has damaged *me* in the last 60 seconds. There should be an attacked-me flag that is more distinctive than a mere attacker flag.

This I could get behind. If someone has attacked you, then I could understand them showing up on a list.

But not if they are simply targeting you. Your "hero" character would indeed be able to tell who shot him or who's knife stabbed you. But I'm not sure he'd be able to tell that the dude 30m behind him amongst an angry mob of other dudes is specifically targeting your character. I think that's where we draw the line on completely unrealistic.

So, list of targeting, no. List of recent things that attacked me, sure why not? That'd be nice.
Kitsune
Caldeathe Baequiannia
In a fully fleshed-out game, it would be nice if your perception played a roll in identifying who is hitting you.

Yeah, ultimately it really should be a matter of perception. Perhaps perception skill would determine the range in which your "who-attacked-me" list is effective?

E.g. I might have 102 Perception, so I can tell who's attacked me from up to 20m out. Or something like that.

Or maybe the more Perception and Wisdom you have, the longer your list can be (or the longer they stay on the list).

I dunno, it'd have to scale somehow if it were based on a skill/ability.
Dazyk of Phaeros
I can concede that point, Kit.

I had this cool thought about Sneak Attack actually deflecting the attack to the nearest party member, so, if a rogue is standing next to a fighter, it appears to the target that the fighter attacked them, when it was actually the rogue!
Dazyk Half-Elven, Elder of the Frozen Fingers, the shock- troops of Phaeros. If you are a fighter, cleric, or rogue, and enjoy battle, be it PVP or PVE, we are the company for you! We welcome role-players, casual gamers, and hardcore players alike.

Find your hidden strength, join the Frozen Fingers today!
Dazyk's PFO Resources Folder
Nihimon
Kitsune
Caldeathe Baequiannia
In a fully fleshed-out game, it would be nice if your perception played a roll in identifying who is hitting you.

Yeah, ultimately it really should be a matter of perception. Perhaps perception skill would determine the range in which your "who-attacked-me" list is effective?

Seems like there's a lot of room for developing this idea along those lines. Perhaps a Perception vs Stealth check even if the Attacker is not Stealthed, so that you can see the guy who never trained Stealth all the way out at 35 yards, but maybe the guy with 100 Stealth is slick enough to plink you with arrows while you're looking the other way.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Kitsune
Nihimon
Kitsune
Caldeathe Baequiannia

Seems like there's a lot of room for developing this idea along those lines. Perhaps a Perception vs Stealth check even if the Attacker is not Stealthed, so that you can see the guy who never trained Stealth all the way out at 35 yards, but maybe the guy with 100 Stealth is slick enough to plink you with arrows while you're looking the other way.

Right - it would have to scale somehow, and those sound like reasonable ideas. And if not simply Stealth vs Perception, then perhaps just Dex vs Wis.
Tuoweit
I'm a little leery of turning Stealth and Perception into "mandatory" skills for PvP.
Kitsune
Tuoweit
I'm a little leery of turning Stealth and Perception into "mandatory" skills for PvP.

A valid concern.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post